Windows 8.1

smartpixels

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/meet

I have just updated to from windows 8.0 to windows 8.1 and its a breeze.
windows-8.webp install.webp
Do you like the start button coming back?

In another important update that can affect us all. Can bing smart search get Microsoft OS customers into bing users? So its breaks the Google monopoly.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is a desktop OS right? Because I see a hand waving around moving stuff like it's exclusively for a tablet and/or mobile device.
Correct, hence why I went back to Windows 7 on my laptop. Why anyone would release something with a touch interface for something that isn't touch enabled is beyond me.

This is a desktop OS right? Because I see a hand waving around moving stuff like it's exclusively for a tablet and/or mobile device.
Yes. Laptops and Desktops now have touchscreens. I am using AOC 22 inch 1080P touchscreen myself
http://www.dell.com/in/p/new-product-deals
Correct, hence why I went back to Windows 7 on my laptop. Why anyone would release something with a touch interface for something that isn't touch enabled is beyond me.
I use a touch enabled monitor for my desktop. The point of having touchscreen enabled desktop OS is to have a integrated eco system for phone, tablet and desktop. Its now exclusive to windows.

I use a touch enabled monitor for my desktop. The point of having touchscreen enabled desktop OS is to have a integrated eco system for phone, tablet and desktop
I've not use Win8 since it was initially released, when I got the option to purchase the upgrade for £15 from Windows 7.

I hated the UI on a none touch laptop. I understand having an integrated system, but to me it seems they have gone the wrong way about it. Most people still don't have touch enabled monitors or a windows tablet, and all the instances of Windows 8 I've seen have been on standard desktop/ laptops. They should have enabled touch features if touch was enabled, and not forcing that layout on everyone.......just me 2p though. I still have the install available, but haven't used it since.

I've not use Win8 since it was initially released, when I got the option to purchase the upgrade for £15 from Windows 7.

I hated the UI on a none touch laptop. I understand having an integrated system, but to me it seems they have gone the wrong way about it. Most people still don't have touch enabled monitors or a windows tablet, and all the instances of Windows 8 I've seen have been on standard desktop/ laptops. They should have enabled touch features if touch was enabled, and not forcing that layout on everyone.......just me 2p though. I still have the install available, but haven't used it since.

Yep, your feedback is valid and I think MS failed to have a fallback support.Windows 8.1 implements what you have said. It has got the start button back for starters.

My brother got win8 pre-installed on a system he purchased (shamefully from the curry's store) would he be eligible for the free 8.1 upgrade or would he need to purchase this update?

As far as I know windows 8 license owners are eligible for the win 8.1 update.

Thanks. He never actually got a disc with the system he purchase just an installed windows 8 so wasn't sure whether he would get the upgrade free or have to pay. I'll probably pop over tonight and update his system if he hasn't done it already.

Thanks. He never actually got a disc with the system he purchase just an installed windows 8 so wasn't sure whether he would get the upgrade free or have to pay. I'll probably pop over tonight and update his system if he hasn't done it already.
See the attachment in my first post. Windows update is available through the windows store. So any windows 8 store should see the option regardless of where it was installed from. You dont need the disc or anything. Its like installing any other app through the store

I use a touch enabled monitor for my desktop. The point of having touchscreen enabled desktop OS is to have a integrated eco system for phone, tablet and desktop. Its now exclusive to windows.
The point is that absolutely nobody, who really needs to get *serious* work done on a computer, would ever dare to use a touch operated environment. It's like 1000 times less convenient than traditional mouse/keyboard. Even simple office stuff is a royal pain in the ... without a real (= physical, not on-screen) keyboard, let alone w/o a mouse.

For people who just play around... well, different story.

"Integrated eco system"... who the hell is coming up with such a nonsense that looks like a forced marriage between Batman and the Joker? MS? Yeah, right. Who else.

The point is that absolutely nobody, who really needs to get *serious* work done on a computer, would ever dare to use a touch operated environment. It's like 1000 times less convenient than traditional mouse/keyboard. Even simple office stuff is a royal pain in the ... without a real (= physical, not on-screen) keyboard, let alone w/o a mouse.

For people who just play around... well, different story.

"Integrated eco system"... who the hell is coming up with such a nonsense that looks like a forced marriage between Batman and the Joker? MS? Yeah, right. Who else.
May be your turnover is in the millions or something but I don't think I am the only person using windows 8 and all people are wrong and you are right.

Windows 8 alone outstrips all the apple IOS every sold.

install-130902.jpg

Having touch doesn't mean you need not use keyboard and mouse.I think some people should stick with 1990's technology they are incapable of understanding or learning new stuff.

For webdevelopers I suggest using http://modern.ie to check windows 8 support for new features like titles and live feed for your site.

BWzhzL3IUAA1XrH.png

I have a new Laptop with touch feature but most at the time I'm using it in the classical sense. Both are just fine. There is definitely a "get to know" period for previous OS users but it took me a few days to get familiar with it.

I upgraded to 8.1 yesterday, free of charge. Everything ran in the background and in the end I just needed to re-upload the Turkish language package (which was also free) I had previously installed.

I don't get why people get so frustrated over the concept of Windows 8 in general - even before 8.1 fixed some of the most common "issues" with it.

Yes. It has a touch interface. But that doesn't mean you can't use your keyboard and mouse with it.

If anything, the Start Screen is more useful than the Start Menu ever was. Certainly not less useful.

When I was using Windows 8, my workflow was thus:

1) Boot up - which was insanely fast with my UEFI BIOS and SSD drives
2) Login as normal
3) Start Screen loads
4) Click Desktop

I'm now effectively in Windows 7 mode. How often do you truly need the Start Menu? Personally I prefer my commonly used icons on my desktop or taskbar. So that's where they are. I can go through many computer sessions and not even touch the start screen (apart from initially booting to it, but I believe that's a configurable option in 8.1). If I did need to launch an app from the Start Screen I would simply bring it up and type what I want. It instantly finds the app I want and I click. That behavior is really no different to the Start Menu.

And that's the point. So many people are running away straight back to Windows 7. Why? Windows 8 works. The user experience in Windows 8 is really not dissimilar from Windows 7.

I'm not saying that necessarily means Microsoft got it right. They probably didn't. If they got it right, then Windows 8 would be a no brainer. But, sadly, as a bog standard OS with a keyboard and mouse at worst it is no better or worse than Windows 7. And that's the true failing here. It needed to be as much of an improvement as it was to move from Windows Vista (or XP) to Windows 7. And that's exactly why as an IT professional we aren't even touching Windows 8.x until either it's absolutely necessary to, or we may skip it altogether. But not because it's a bad OS. Not because of the change of UI. Simply we have no reason to.

May be your turnover is in the millions or something but I don't think I am the only person using windows 8 and all people are wrong and you are right.

Windows 8 alone outstrips all the apple IOS every sold.

install-130902.jpg

Having touch doesn't mean you need not use keyboard and mouse.I think some people should stick with 1990's technology they are incapable of understanding or learning new stuff.

For webdevelopers I suggest using http://modern.ie to check windows 8 support for new features like titles and live feed for your site.

BWzhzL3IUAA1XrH.png

I'm betting those stats, or a high % are forced users stats to use win8. For example my brother had no choice in the store to purchase the Win8 range of comps since they only came with windows NCIS edition, Windows 8. There's users embracing something, then there's users who are forced to purchase the OS running the system they want to purchase because it was the only windows OS they, the store were supplying.

Your sitting at your desk, monitor sitting where it normally sits and you're stretching your arms out bending your wrists at an angle. Can you imagine the punishment on your wrists and the adverse effects this would have on a persons hands/wrists. If the monitor is slanted at an angle I suppose this might relieve that strain on your wrists but that would mean the monitor is ever closer to you. Could you imagine the punishment on your eyes?

Microsoft 8 - carpal tunnel edition.

Top Bottom