Windows 8.1 Announced

Keep an open mind. I've been using Windows 8 since it was in Developer Preview.

It isn't a bad OS. Start Screen and touch features aside as I don't use them... Is it a different OS? Yep. Is it a better OS than 7? Probably not. But it definitely isn't bad.

I'm not saying 8.1 will be any better but it might be worth a try again.
I'm waiting on my Dr's office to get me my Surface Pro 128GB for "testing". Guess that's one benefit of not charging them anything - free appointments and goodies. :p

Sarcasm? I have over 50GB of usable space, even with all my main applications installed.
Only partially sarcastic.

The amount of space taken up on the Surface Pro is simply ridiculous. Mobile devices should not be using that much internal storage when an user first gets it (This goes for the Samsung Galaxy S4 as well).

The amount of space taken up on the Surface Pro is simply ridiculous. Mobile devices should not be using that much internal storage when an user first gets it (This goes for the Samsung Galaxy S4 as well).
The Surface Pro is not really a mobile device. It is a full pledged computer. If you remove the restore files, you free up an additional 7GB of space, which gives it more than a Macbook Air. Modern operating systems are a lot larger than they use to be, so expecting them only to take up a few GBs is unrealistic.

Yeah... but I'm not going to turn down free stuff. ;)
That's also why I've spec'd the 128GB version out.

The Surface Pro is not really a mobile device. It is a full pledged computer. If you remove the restore files, you free up an additional 7GB of space, which gives it more than a Macbook Air. Modern operating systems are a lot larger than they use to be, so expecting them only to take up a few GBs is unrealistic.

After re-allocating space from the recovery tool:

64GB = 40GB free space
128GB = 104GB free space

That means that the system is taking 24GB of space for a device that was originally marketed as a tablet. They then changed the marketing to 'laptop in tablet form' because they got crap for heating issues, battery issues, and space issues.

Say what you will, but this was originally meant to be a mobile device the amount of space it takes up is ridiculous.
Yeah... but I'm not going to turn down free stuff. ;)
That's also why I've spec'd the 128GB version out.

I didn't either when my work gave me it, but it's currently just collecting dust with my other gadgets :p.

Say what you will, but this was originally meant to be a mobile device the amount of space it takes up is ridiculous.

I didn't either when my work gave me it, but it's currently just collecting dust with my other gadgets :p.
As often as I go down there and have to scramble to find a available computer I doubt if it will suffer that fate. Not to mention the fact it will be easier to transport than a laptop on my bike when I go travelling and have to do the remote support for the servers and desktops. Actually, for me it is what a tablet needs to be. I need to be able to use desktop related programs that interact with SQL server and uses multiple OBDC connections. Keeps the setup similar between the desktops and the tablet.

After re-allocating space from the recovery tool:

64GB = 40GB free space
128GB = 104GB free space

That means that the system is taking 24GB of space for a device that was originally marketed as a tablet. They then changed the marketing to 'laptop in tablet form' because they got crap for heating issues, battery issues, and space issues.

If you want a mobile device experience, buy a Surface RT or an Android/iOS device. Considering the Surface Pro packs an i5, SSD, 4GB of memory, it isn't meant to compete with your generic tablets. Its a lot more than that. It may look and feel like an iPad, but its an ultrabook. I use Lightroom and Photoshop in the field on my Surface Pro, which isn't a characteristic of your average tablet.

Thankful that the Windows 8.1 update will be free

It's free? Yaaay. It's been about 2 months since I bought my new laptop with Windows 8 and I still do not like the idea of having both apps and programs. It's both annoying and confusing. But I like the fact that Windows is evolving and listening to its customers.

I like Win8. Will be trying out the public preview of 8.1 this June. Good choice to make it a free update for Win8 customers.

Also like the return of the "simple" versioning from the old days... Win3, Win3.1, etc. Never cared much for "cute" names like XP and Vista.

If you want a mobile device experience, buy a Surface RT or an Android/iOS device. Considering the Surface Pro packs an i5, SSD, 4GB of memory, it isn't meant to compete with your generic tablets. Its a lot more than that. It may look and feel like an iPad, but its an ultrabook. I use Lightroom and Photoshop in the field on my Surface Pro, which isn't a characteristic of your average tablet.
Again, they changed their marketing from it being a tablet, to it being a laptop in a tablet form factor. It was never meant to be an ultrabook and if it was it has the specs of ultrabooks from 2 years ago.

It was meant to be a productivity tablet with a premium price tag and premium hardware. It ended up being an alright 'ultrabook' with okay hardware and alright for now productivity. If you're out in the field it's probably perfect because you can run Photoshop and Lightroom but you are definitely not going to do anything intensive on it like you would on a real ultrabook or desktop.

It has its uses, but it's not a good enough tablet nor is it a good enough ultrabook for it to really have anything more than niche or gimmick appeal.

Again, they changed their marketing from it being a tablet, to it being a laptop in a tablet form factor. It was never meant to be an ultrabook and if it was it has the specs of ultrabooks from 2 years ago.

It was meant to be a productivity tablet with a premium price tag and premium hardware. It ended up being an alright 'ultrabook' with okay hardware and alright for now productivity. If you're out in the field it's probably perfect because you can run Photoshop and Lightroom but you are definitely not going to do anything intensive on it like you would on a real ultrabook or desktop.

It has its uses, but it's not a good enough tablet nor is it a good enough ultrabook for it to really have anything more than niche or gimmick appeal.
To each his own I guess.

Don't forget me...I mean Windows ME.;)

Never used ME. Had Win98 SE until 2004, then finally migrated to XP. Didn't even hear of all the horror stories until much later. Win98 SE was great for me, it never crashed and ran without complaint for years.

Top Bottom