Windows 8.1 Announced

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
So, it seems like even Microsoft doesn't quite like Windows 8 as much as it hoped we would.

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/.../2013/05/14/windows-keeps-getting-better.aspx

Although nothing official yet, it has been rumoured that Windows 8.1 (previously codenamed Windows Blue) will reinstate the start button and start menu which was replaced by the very touch centric Start Screen in Windows 8.

Public preview available June 26th :)

Sticking with win7 still.

Good to see Microsoft partially coming to their senses since alot of people must have took a real disliking to win8, I know I did instantly. I still won't use/install 8.1

Keep an open mind. I've been using Windows 8 since it was in Developer Preview.

It isn't a bad OS. Start Screen and touch features aside as I don't use them... Is it a different OS? Yep. Is it a better OS than 7? Probably not. But it definitely isn't bad.

I'm not saying 8.1 will be any better but it might be worth a try again.

Windows 8 isn't an entire failure. For all intents and purposes, it did what it was designed to do. It gave tablets an "innovative" and user-friendly interface. Unfortunately for Microsoft, that's just a tiny niche in their market - the changes they made for tablet devices meant forcing PC users (Microsoft's majority market) to learn new ways to do exactly what they were doing before. I use Windows 8, and while I have no problems with it, I spend 99.9% of my time either in-game on Steam, or doing things in the Desktop environment. The Start Interface definitely feels wasted on Desktops in my opinion.

If Microsoft wanted to roll-out Metro to the PC, then they should've looked back at their Zune Software - that's probably the best attempt of Metro UI on the PC.

In my opinion...where MS effed up was mislabeling Windows 8 which more appropriately would be better suited as Windows 8 touch or windows 8 mobile because that is how it is best used.

I have tried it on a desktop with a 40" screen and an 8 touch + digitizer pen tablet and I can honestly say using it on a desktop makes me want to find a dock and take a long walk.

On the tablet it is not really all that bad but honestly minus some of the layout changes (which I can say I do not like at all) it doesn't add any useful functionality since win7 that I require or want from my core operating system and actually include things I want nothing to do with thus making me buy a new windows 7 disc.

Now why did I buy a new windows disc when I already own a bunch of them (win 7), because their system automatically revoked my key after wiping , reinstalling and activating 1 instance of the same license on the same computer a bunch of times because you know...I don't own the copies of windows I purchased here...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116718 or the system builders licenses I have bought for myself.

And you know what...reinstalling my os because it is faster than fixing registry entries after testing tons of software qualifies as a reason to make me need to initiate a phone call and type in a ridiculously long string of #'s and then take the ridiculously long string the automated system spits back and type it into my windows activation dialog because you know, I have 35 -45 minutes to throw away on the phone activating my license which I own and I don't feel that I should be able to just type the short little product key string that is on the box I purchased with the disc in it.

This is the last disc I had to replace....
IMG_2451.webp

I feel like I get reverse-pirated every time I have to buy a replacement windows 7 disc. So yeah thanks for fixing that Microsoft...I don't feel like you stole my license key from me.

Anyways, when I need to laugh really hard I just listen to the recorded phone call I have between myself and not one but two employees at Microsoft (One Support dept., One Legal dept.) telling me that if the only way I can get around having to do that whole crazy activation process (bestowed upon me after they illegally revoked my property and required me to own a phone to register a piece of computer software which they can not reverse for my license in their own system) is to use a piece of software to bypass certain aspects of windows software protections than go ahead and do that...which I do for that one license. So thank you for upgrading my license agreement with you MS...that phone call is the only reason I still buy your stuff.

If they really wanted to release a new OS that would promote them in the mobile game (which is how I windows 8) they should have just built an OS for the desktop that acted like a desktop OS (What windows 8 should have been) and included a deeply integrated framework to support what would have been a well defined Windows 8 mobile OS.

But what do I know...I have only been a windows supporter...ummm since all the computers around me stopping running DOS.

I read they are just reinstating the start button but will use the start screen. I doubt they'll throw away their whole new environment (metro apps), unless placed somewhere else?

I thoroughly enjoy using Windows 8 and look forward to the release of 8.1 that'll hopefully bring in a few missing features.

I read they are just reinstating the start button but will use the start screen. I doubt they'll throw away their whole new environment (metro apps), unless placed somewhere else?
There's no way of knowing exactly, but of course they won't ditch Metro. It works well for touch interfaces.

What I perhaps envisage is a UI that adapts to the device you're using. So default Start Screen and Metro for touch devices. Start button and start menu + a way to access Metro default for desktop devices.

Or if nothing that smart, at least a control panel applet to customise it the way you like.

In my opinion...where MS effed up was mislabeling Windows 8 which more appropriately would be better suited as Windows 8 touch or windows 8 mobile because that is how it is best used.

I have tried it on a desktop with a 40" screen and an 8 touch + digitizer pen tablet and I can honestly say using it on a desktop makes me want to find a dock and take a long walk.

On the tablet it is not really all that bad but honestly minus some of the layout changes (which I can say I do not like at all) it doesn't add any useful functionality since win7 that I require or want from my core operating system and actually include things I want nothing to do with thus making me buy a new windows 7 disc.

Now why did I buy a new windows disc when I already own a bunch of them (win 7), because their system automatically revoked my key after wiping , reinstalling and activating 1 instance of the same license on the same computer a bunch of times because you know...I don't own the copies of windows I purchased here...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116718 or the system builders licenses I have bought for myself.

And you know what...reinstalling my os because it is faster than fixing registry entries after testing tons of software qualifies as a reason to make me need to initiate a phone call and type in a ridiculously long string of #'s and then take the ridiculously long string the automated system spits back and type it into my windows activation dialog because you know, I have 35 -45 minutes to throw away on the phone activating my license which I own and I don't feel that I should be able to just type the short little product key string that is on the box I purchased with the disc in it.

This is the last disc I had to replace.... View attachment 46223

I feel like I get reverse-pirated every time I have to buy a replacement windows 7 disc. So yeah thanks for fixing that Microsoft...I don't feel like you stole my license key from me.

Anyways, when I need to laugh really hard I just listen to the recorded phone call I have between myself and not one but two employees at Microsoft (One Support dept., One Legal dept.) telling me that if the only way I can get around having to do that whole crazy activation process (bestowed upon me after they illegally revoked my property and required me to own a phone to register a piece of computer software which they can not reverse for my license in their own system) is to use a piece of software to bypass certain aspects of windows software protections than go ahead and do that...which I do for that one license. So thank you for upgrading my license agreement with you MS...that phone call is the only reason I still buy your stuff.

If they really wanted to release a new OS that would promote them in the mobile game (which is how I windows 8) they should have just built an OS for the desktop that acted like a desktop OS (What windows 8 should have been) and included a deeply integrated framework to support what would have been a well defined Windows 8 mobile OS.

But what do I know...I have only been a windows supporter...ummm since all the computers around me stopping running DOS.

EQnoble Thank you for posting that. It validates my point I tried to make a while back.... ie... reverse pirating.

Like yourself, I bought Windows XP, Windows Vista came with one of my PC's, Windows 7, and yes, even Windows 8. What do all of them except Windows 8 have in common? I had to find away to "crack" the thing, just to use my paid product.

I got tired of having to call up. And in the case of Windows 7, calling up also ran out of options.

I alpha and beta test a log of problems. Not just small little things mind you, but things like Kaspersky for example or pre-release nvidia drivers, that when they go wrong, they take your whole computer with it. And formatting is about the only options.

But also regularly wipe it out for peace of mind. Even with the best steps taken.... I'm always paranoid that something maybe hidden within my system. And so a complete format just makes me feel better every once in a while.

Could be why with Linux I usually just use the Live CD. Each reboot is a fresh start. ;)

Windows 8 so far hasn't needed to be "corrected" (cracked). *knocks on wood for good luck*

Seems as though I have to hack just about everything these days.... Even my Kindle needed rooting to do what I wanted to do with it. :rolleyes:

Thankful that the Windows 8.1 update will be free
They said it will be released through the Windows Store.

I'm guessing this will not be just an SP1 patch like everyone had thought, but rather a full ISO to download and run (as it's not using Windows Update to update this)

I really do hope they bring back the start menu in "Blue"- I see questions on how to bring back this feature so often from non-tablet Windows 8 users. I don't think it's a retrograde step by doing so, as the start screen just doesn't work as well for most people using desktop PCs.

There is a rumor that the start menu will return, but that it will bring you to the metro screen .. ie.. Basically what Windows 8 has for a default "start menu" now (if you want to call it that).

Of course there are always crazy rumors before any real news come out. :cautious: But this one wouldn't surprise me if it was true. :(

After finding out about OblyTile and setting up my Start Screen nice, I have no problem with Windows 8. It has some nice improvements (new Task Manager, File Explorer, though I think there are ways to get them on W7 now). I am interested to see what 8.1 will offer but I think a lot of people just haven't given the start screen a fair chance. Most of what I did with the W7 start menu was search for programs I didn't use often. The ones I use on a daily basis were pinned to my taskbar.

I usually keep a dozen or so copies of my product key around my house so if I ever have to reinstall windows and I don't have the disk I just torrent the version I have and enter in my key.

Top Bottom