• Yes, I already have the Release Preview

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Maybe later.

Votes: 16 15.7%
  • No, I stay on Windows Vista/7

Votes: 38 37.3%
  • No, I stay on Windows XP

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • No, I already moved to another platform (Mac/Linux)

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • What's Windows 8 ?

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
i have upgraded.
it is faster than win7, thats my feeling.
after installing classic menu everything is ok. ;)
i dont have to use the "metro" thing (dont love it, or need it)

love the raid, starting isos from scratch.

all in all its not really a must have, but nice.

Installed Windows 8 last night, spent about 4 hours today trying to get used to it

I couldn't stand it, so I'm back on Windows 7. hehe

Yes the core is still windows 7, but I hate the fact there's no freaking start menu!

I hate the fact there's no freaking start menu!

The start menu is now a start page! Pin apps, pin bookmarks to the start page just like you could with a start menu. Get the desktop by pressing the windows key. Return to the start page pressing the windows key.

Another tip - hover the mouse in the left corner of the desktop, an image opens, right click .. ta da ! It's all there.

menu - desktop.webp

The company Stardock offers a product called Start8 http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/ that restores the start button and boots directly to the desktop, among other things. Also, as the helpful tech guys at Tekzilla pointed out, there is this: http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/ For anyone not too into the metro and without a touch screen (i.e., most desktop users, I imagine).

As for me, not upgraded yet, but keeping an eye to see how it is judged over the months, and what updates and third party modifications come out for it. Should be making a decision before the $40 upgrade deal expires some time in January.

I have Windows 7 on one drive and Mountain Lion on another.
I don't see anything valuable to Windows 8. Not for a desktop.
Windows 8 is better suited for touch screen devices.

Installed Windows 8 last night, spent about 4 hours today trying to get used to it

I couldn't stand it, so I'm back on Windows 7. hehe

Yes the core is still windows 7, but I hate the fact there's no freaking start menu!

There is a start menu - its the metro screen. Its faster to get there than in windows 7.

It is not faster at all....the start menu will always be faster...and I don't lose my frame of focus when opening it.

I can open one after another and make a video of me doing 10 sequential tasks in win7 and the same on windows 8 and you can compare the run time if you like...for people who do a million different things on one computer...that metro crap is just utterly useless and a waste of an upgrade...It should have just been called win7-mobile.

Like, HEY!!! I got it....lets use extra resources to make less function look prettier....EXCELLENT!

I upgraded to Windows 8 on the RTM (via TechNet), absolutely loving it. Yes, it takes some getting used to, but I've not found myself having any issues. I find the improved 'ribbon explorer' to be much better as well - less hidden away in menus! The only thing I added is a small app, which I've stuck at the bottom left, which is a flag and opens the start screen. There just wasn't enough space in the far bottom left corner in my opinion!

There is a stark split between the desktop and metro/modern apps, but I think many of them are very useful - like the Messaging app, which is great. Often have one docked at the side of my screen.

Now that it's available to purchase, I'm going to be upgrading my laptops and desktop PCs - £15/25 is an absolute steal!

It is not faster at all....the start menu will always be faster...and I don't lose my frame of focus when opening it.

I can open one after another and make a video of me doing 10 sequential tasks in win7 and the same on windows 8 and you can compare the run time if you like...for people who do a million different things on one computer...that metro crap is just utterly useless and a waste of an upgrade...It should have just been called win7-mobile.

Like, HEY!!! I got it....lets use extra resources to make less function look prettier....EXCELLENT!

How is it not faster? You just drag the mouse to anywhere close to the corner of the screen and click, and there you have all your programs. There is also a shortcut menu to documents.

Its different, which means it takes a while to get used to I guess, but physically it is quicker.

How is it not faster? You just drag the mouse to anywhere close to the corner of the screen and click, and there you have all your programs. There is also a shortcut menu to documents.

Its different, which means it takes a while to get used to I guess, but physically it is quicker.
011_tweaks.webp

While the screen shot is of Ubuntu, you can do this also with the Windows start menu.
I can group things together real quick and easy. And I can select things fast with a mouse.

Windows 8 this is impossible.

And while you could argue that it's made for Table PC's in mind... Most programs, including gaming is not Table PC friendly. While that may change in the future, for the moment playing Call of Duty or Half Life or Quake (action / shooting) type games are not practical on a Tablet.

An OS should be design not only for the future, but also for the hear and now. This is something Windows 8 fails on.

Might be just me, but I've had some issues (that I didn't notice in Consumer or Release Preview) since I've partially upgraded (I actually just dualbooted my laptop with Ubuntu and Windows 7).

I think it's still a great OS overall, but I don't think it's necessary to rush to upgrade.

Top Bottom