• Yes, I already have the Release Preview

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Maybe later.

Votes: 16 15.7%
  • No, I stay on Windows Vista/7

Votes: 38 37.3%
  • No, I stay on Windows XP

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • No, I already moved to another platform (Mac/Linux)

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • What's Windows 8 ?

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
About me, after testing Windows 8 for several weeks, I decided to stay with Windows 7 for now.
I plan to buy as soon as I could afford it a MacBook Air to replace my old laptop.

I've been using Windows 8 since the beta or developer preview or whatever they called it.

Through work I have access to a Micorosft volume license agreement so I've had the RTM version installed for a while now - maybe 6 weeks or so.

In all honesty my opinion is "meh".

It's not as bad as people make it out to be. When you start using it, you actually realise how little you use the Start Menu. And besides, the Start Screen is actually quite a pleasure to use.

From my point of view, Windows 8 is more about its sever counter-part, Windows Server 2012. It's pretty awesome actually, especially some of the improvements with virtualisation in Hyper-V.

I am inclined to get it because of the substantial discount. Will wait until many reviews are in and the school semester is through, though.

It's not a Vista. Or a Windows ME.

It actually works.

Please define "works". Technically Vista and ME "worked". Microsoft has a history of: Release GOOD OS » Release BAD OS » Release GOOD OS.

If we follow this logic then Windows8 will be crap and Windows9 will be gold.

Define "works". Vista also worked, albeit only some of the time...
By that very definition, Vista didn't work.

Windows 8 is stable and performs well. The overall performance is the same as Windows 7 - maybe even marginally better when you consider the optimisations made with the UEFI booting and SSDs. From cold boot to start screen in around 6 seconds. That's its best feature.

Unfortunately though, there isn't much else. So, that's why it probably won't be successful. So it will fail, just not in the same way as Vista or ME.

Haven't even given it a thought. Should I?

Every review I read about Windows 8 completely turned me off into wanting to.

By that very definition, Vista didn't work.

Windows 8 is stable and performs well. The overall performance is the same as Windows 7 - maybe even marginally better when you consider the optimisations made with the UEFI booting and SSDs. From cold boot to start screen in around 6 seconds. That's its best feature.

Unfortunately though, there isn't much else. So, that's why it probably won't be successful. So it will fail, just not in the same way as Vista or ME.
So it is basically the same as Vista -> 7, more like a patch with some UI changes that they charge for, and some new features.

I'll probably stick with Windows 7 unless I'm forced to upgrade (or raise enough money to buy a touchscreen monitor...). I only use Windows as my secondary OS anyway.

I've been using Windows 8 since June. It's a decent OS. In fact, using a machine with Windows 7 is annoying.

Reviewers are publishing negative reviews because it gains eyeballs and advertising dollars. My favorite features are the hot areas in the corners of the screens. This speeds things up dramatically. For example, want a shell - move the mouse to the left corner, right click on the popup - bam - you have the menu for all kinds of administration.

The key to windows 8 is an improved mouse use - as well as touch for the new tablets.

Apart from MS trying desperately to catch up with the tablet market (no point..the race is run), there is no need for Windows 8. Windows 7 is the very best OS that MS have produced - if you have it, you'll never need Windows 8.

Interim release (Windows ME, Windows Vista and now Windows 8).

I wish MS would pay us to beta test their operating systems... :rolleyes:

I think, the success of W8 depends on how the market for mobile devices evolves and if they are able to participate and get a foot between iOS and Android.

Top Bottom