• Yes, I already have the Release Preview

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Maybe later.

Votes: 16 15.7%
  • No, I stay on Windows Vista/7

Votes: 38 37.3%
  • No, I stay on Windows XP

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • No, I already moved to another platform (Mac/Linux)

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • What's Windows 8 ?

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
I wont be upgrading until I see any significant reason to.

Windows 8 doesn't look that amazing to me. I tested it out with a very early beta and I wasn't impressed.

Are you kidding? I've been perfectl;y happy with Win2k and no desire to change.
Just beginning to find a few items don't work right but not much. 2K is lovely - stable like a rock never any problem for um 8 years? keeps everything clear and accessible not hidden away.

Just transferring very reluctantly to XP.
Interested people say 7 is good so I might go there.

..oh and this news today is going to make very uncomfortable reading for those at Redmond.

google_vs_ms.webp

Are you kidding? I've been perfectl;y happy with Win2k and no desire to change.
Just beginning to find a few items don't work right but not much. 2K is lovely - stable like a rock never any problem for um 8 years? keeps everything clear and accessible not hidden away.

Just transferring very reluctantly to XP.
Interested people say 7 is good so I might go there.
Definitely go to 7... 2K was great, but not so good that I still want to be using it 12 years later!

On the flip side, we have over 1,000 computers here at the college where I work.

We won't be touching Windows 8.

We will be deploying Server 2012, though.

I'm a heavy user.

With 500 - 1000+ programs installed .... YES, I used the start menu A LOT. And I would group programs much like gnome does (internet, office, games, ect..)

I can't do that in Windows 8. And scrolling left to right just to find my program is not practical.

I also am big on using My Computer and Control Panel. I can't remember what they did, but I remember having 1 hell of a time to get those on the desktop and I remember them not working the same any more.

My default OS has become Ubuntu. Although I do keep Windows 7 Ultimate on my other hard drive. If I could get things to work better in VM Ware Player, Open Box, and Wine .... I would think about not using the other HD.

My other PC is my Windows PC and it too will not be moving to Windows 8, but happily sticking to Windows 7.

I loved XP, Windows Vista was like XP meshed with ME
Windows 7 is, in my opinion, awesome.
Windows 8 on the other hand, yuck :P
It's like they're trying to force the tablet interface on everyone.

Maybe I'm bias, so I'll hold off on answering ;).

If you are interested in upgrading to Windows 8, I have my XenForo license powering www.win8forums.com (if you join, do say hi, as it would be good to have some XF'ers over there).

There are some free start menu alternatives listed in this thread which may be handy.

Hell. No. I have it installed on a test PC and it is almost impossible to use if you do not have a touch screen. Microsoft just shot themselves in the knees with this blunder of a move. They should have created a seperate OS for touch screen devices, not migrate the Windows platform over. Ugh I hate it so much...

I don't have a touch screen, so NO, I would not be updating.

Hell. No. I have it installed on a test PC and it is almost impossible to use if you do not have a touch screen. quote]

well.. It's not impossible to use, I've had it on a laptop for aseveral months and I've been able to use it just fine.

I will get Windows 8 IF AND ONLY IF I get a touched based monitor :D

Planar was in our offices the other week showing off some new toys that I want :)

I don't have a touch screen, so NO, I would not be updating.

well.. It's not impossible to use, I've had it on a laptop for aseveral months and I've been able to use it just fine.
I didnt say impossible. However, it is not intuitive. You cant close a program easily. Why? That should be as simple as clicking a box. Not going to the upper left corner of the screen, right clicking on the open program and closing it. Just doesn't make sense...

I am sure you know of the many other redundant operations Windows 8 has.

I personally think each release of a new operating system should be like a new Porsche, no massively new design, just improvement of the vehicle. Make it better, quicker, and more capable.

Top Bottom