• Yes, I already have the Release Preview

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Maybe later.

Votes: 16 15.7%
  • No, I stay on Windows Vista/7

Votes: 38 37.3%
  • No, I stay on Windows XP

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • No, I already moved to another platform (Mac/Linux)

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • What's Windows 8 ?

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
I paid $14 for the upgrade. $14 is worth it. $40 is not. More than that is a rip off.

I have not liked it since the Developer preview. It is too damn complicated. However, having said that, I am really trying to make it work. Installed on my Macbook (take that Apple groupies) which was a mistake since Bootcamp doesn't yet work with W8.
You're one of those lucky people who managed to get a coupon code.

Some people could and some people could not. Even with recently buying a new PC or copy of Windows 7.

You're one of those lucky people who managed to get a coupon code.

Some people could and some people could not. Even with recently buying a new PC or copy of Windows 7.

I purchased Windows 7 Ultimate last year. I lied when filling out the paperwork and said I purchased it a few weeks ago. :P

So bit the bullet and installed W8 on my work PC. Everything turned out pretty good so far. No major issues with programs not compatible. During the changeover I decided to switch to an SSD RAID0 setup.

Hmm..didn't ask me that so I don't know. I know I was able to do it even though I bought my laptop in August 2011.
It's because there was a loophole in the website that allowed practically everybody to purchase Win8 for just $15.

It has been fixed a couple of days ago and now asks for a valid Windows 7 product key, but it didn't so before.

The €30 (or $39.90 or so) offer is still valid though and does *not* ask for a Win7 key, but technically, it's an upgrade even though there are ways to install it on a fresh PC or notebook not containing any trace of Windows :)

It's because there was a loophole in the website that allowed practically everybody to purchase Win8 for just $15.

It has been fixed a couple of days ago and now asks for a valid Windows 7 product key, but it didn't so before.

The €30 (or $39.90 or so) offer is still valid though and does *not* ask for a Win7 key, but technically, it's an upgrade even though there are ways to install it on a fresh PC or notebook not containing any trace of Windows :)

Well that makes sense then. I guess I got it just in time.

I upgraded 2 days ago to Windows 8 Pro + Free Media Center for $15 with their new PC offer, as I purchased a new computer few months ago.

So far, the caveats for Windows 7 user is the Start button. Personally, I don't find this inconvenient as I used mostly Windows shortcuts. So, to myself the upgrade was beneficial. The OS is running faster and smoother... I see they copied the Task Manager design from Linux, which is great. I'm still getting acclimated to the changes but over all I'm pretty happy with the new OS. BTW, I was able to do a clean install and activate it without issues, using the Upgrade ISO they made it available for download. Can't go wrong with a full Windows version for $15.

I've overcome the start menu issue

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

^^ Free and open source. All the features you could want

The only thing driving me crazy about Windows 8 is all the apps I want to use; seem to either never log-in or connect. Games and Netflix for example.
Try Window Key + X, it is great for me.

If we follow this logic then Windows8 will be crap and Windows9 will be gold.
I thought so also, but so far I'm very satisfied. It is definitely a major improvement over Windows 7, at least for myself. The reviews are just ignorant people IMO who are turned off about the missing Start button. Old school people remember the shock we had with we switched from Windows 3.1. to 95, we were all lost...

I moved to OS X in 2007, having never even looked at a Mac, let alone used one.

I've not owned a Windows machine since. Simply put, having tried out the Win 8 preview, I dont see it working and likely wont ever move back from OS X. I'm not a die-hard fan of any company, I buy what works best for me. As it stands (for me) Windows is a pile of hurt. Personally I find it to be a bloated pile of crap that just slows me down, when on OS X I can get stuff done in half the time, and have more software choices than I'd have on Windows.

Try Window Key + X, it is great for me.

I thought so also, but so far I'm very satisfied. It is definitely a major improvement over Windows 7, at least for myself. The reviews are just ignorant people IMO who are turned off about the missing Start button. Old school people remember the shock we had with we switched from Windows 3.1. to 95, we were all lost...
A major improvement? Where exactly is it a major improvement for a typical, mouse & keyboard operated, desktop or notebook system? The start screen is just bad, bad, bad and nowhere as convenient and user friendly than the start menu, because it breaks workflow and lacks contextual binding in a typical multitasking environment. It takes you away from what you're currently doing in a completely unnecessary and avoidable manner. That's fine for a tablet or other simple consumer device, where the focus lies on the consumption of content rather than real productivity, but anywhere else, it's a major usability disaster.

Read what a real expert on usability says about it: http://blog.laptopmag.com/usability-expert-windows-8-on-pcs-is-confusing-a-cognitive-burden and she spot-on with it.

And then the apps...Oh my... I'm fine with simplifying things, but this goes too far. The Outlook Express of the late 90's was a masterpiece compared to this sorry excuse for an email app we get with Win8 :) If this is what the mainstream wants, then I'm more than glad to be not part of this mainstream.

The touch UI isn't exactly bad, but trying to enforce it on a traditional system is just wrong. It *might* be true that desktop systems will lose importance for mainstream customers, but they're not going to vanish. There are still thousands of usage patterns for which a traditional and full-featured desktop computer system is the only way to go and this is not going to change soon (if ever). If MS fails to understand and accept this and continue to move away from the open platform, they're going to lose their core business.

The worst thing is that it is so incredibly easy to fix it. Just install classic shell and the start button is back. I really wonder why MS is trying to enforce this new UI for everybody. Even Apple, with all its control-freak mentality, has understood the problem and is providing two different operating systems for two fundamentally different device types.

Windows 8 to me, is just Windows 7 with that weird tiled/touch screen interface slapped on the front end

But, I upgraded anyways, as I wanted to upgrade my ageing laptop's OS from XP to 7, which I've done, ironically it runs faster on W8, than on Xp

First thing I did with Windows 8, as I did with W7, was restore the quick launch bar, then install the classic start menu, so as soon as it boots up, it goes right to the desktop, not that stupid "metro" UI

I find the traditional startmenu and quick launcher much easier/quicker for finding programs, than having to open the "new" start menu, go to the top right corner, click the magnifying glass, scroll across two pages and find the icon for the program I need
Why bother when I can just click the icon I need from the quick launch bar?

Top Bottom