• Yes, I already have the Release Preview

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Maybe later.

Votes: 16 15.7%
  • No, I stay on Windows Vista/7

Votes: 38 37.3%
  • No, I stay on Windows XP

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • No, I already moved to another platform (Mac/Linux)

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • What's Windows 8 ?

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
I installed it last night and I like it. I found the listing of all the aps much more convenient for me than Windows 7 start menu as everything is laid out before me alphabetically on the screen. My one complaint so far is when I hit restart it takes forever; it's probably waiting for some program/task to end but I'm not sure which one.

I've just installed it and I'm not finding it very intuitive at the minute.

Maybe I'll get used to it.

I installed the developer version a few months ago. It took a little for me to get used to it, but it helped a lot for me to get used to the official release. I really do like it, much more then Windows 7.

I may download a copy and see if anything has changed since the preview version.

If I like it, I'll pay the $40 to upgrade (that was a good surprise... a lot more affordable than past versions)

If not, I'll format and re-install my current OS

I'm guessing it was a fair bit cheaper this time around, due to the need to draw people in
I did try it for a few hours, but just couldn't get the hang of how the mobile/touch stuff seemed mandatory to use the OS.
Also had a few issues with applications like Waterfox/Windows live mail crashing.
I'll try it again once the first service pack comes out.

Annoying me how I have to use the horizontal scroll bar to go across screens, I'd much prefer to use arrow keys or a horizontal swipe across my touchpad.

I'll be buying it. :oops:

Microsoft is selling the upgrade to Windows Pro for only $40 ($15 for a DVD)

However, this is a limited time offer. But will be better than the $140 price tag it will be later. If worse comes to worse, I could always just gift it to someone else or right it off being thankful I didn't pay the full price

I'm curious about something.

I have Windows 7 Home or some such, which doesn't allow backups to an external network drive. MS wants me to upgrade to Ultimate or some such just to have that feature.

If I upgrade to Windows 8 (since I think there is only 1 version available now), will I be able to backup to a network drive now?

UPDATE: Looks like I can upgrade to Windows 8 Pro to get the luxury of backing up to the network drive. Seems cheaper to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro than to get Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate

I'm curious about something.

I have Windows 7 Home or some such, which doesn't allow backups to an external network drive. MS wants me to upgrade to Ultimate or some such just to have that feature.

If I upgrade to Windows 8 (since I think there is only 1 version available now), will I be able to backup to a network drive now?
There is actually 4 version, but you can only buy 2 at the moment
  • Windows RT --- Only pre-installed on tables
  • Windows 8 --- Not being sold yet, but installed on new desktop pc's
  • Windows 8 Pro ---- Is being sold
  • Windows Enterprise --- Is being sold

YES, Windows 8 Pro ($40 upgrade) you can back up on external network drives. Although Microsoft is really trying to push their cloud service onto people. Which is currently free, but if you read their TOS they have the option to charge later.

Interesting to note ..... The Windows 8 OS user agreement also hints to a few "premium services"

Microsoft has been trying to look into leased software vs owned. I'm mildly worried about their user agreement.

Upgraded to Windows 8 pro, and while it seemed awkward at first, after a day of use I really prefer it over 7 now. Also the "refresh" feature is amazing.

The Windows 8 compatibility wizard told me that the Putty ssh client isn't compatible with Windows 8. Is notes there is a "workaround available", but no description or links tell me what it is. Is there a different version of Putty for it?

I have tested every single version of it from Beta to Final through my MSDN account... And I can honestly say nothing about it would ever make me upgrade or even use it.. Its pretty crap IMO.. I will admit I did test it on a All in one HD Touchscreen computer I have and it has some nice functionality as far as using it for that.. But, unless you have a touch screen.. I do not see why anyone would ever want to use it.. But that is just my opinion

The Windows 8 compatibility wizard told me that the Putty ssh client isn't compatible with Windows 8. Is notes there is a "workaround available", but no description or links tell me what it is. Is there a different version of Putty for it?
I use it everyday without any trouble :) No workaround needed.

Putty works fine in windows 8, not sure why it comes up in the list.

Annoying me how I have to use the horizontal scroll bar to go across screens, I'd much prefer to use arrow keys or a horizontal swipe across my touchpad.

That one is a bit weird - interestingly my wheel mouse works for horizontal scrolling... I wonder is it a two or three finger swipe on the track pad?

I made the jump without too much trouble.

First, it didn't take me too long to realize that there is the Windows 8 app world, and the familiar desktop interface. Once you realize the desktop itself is kind of a Windows 8 app/tile, it isn't too hard to get acquainted with it.

I had a problem initially with none of the windows 8 apps working for me, but that was because my avast antivirus needed to be updated first.

I haven't really found any of the stock windows 8 apps that appealing to me. Except for gmail, none of my email addresses can be recognized with the mail app, and the photos and music apps don't work for me at all because they don't support my media being on network drives, even if I used the mklink trick to create symbolic links to the data in their respective libraries. I'm told that new Windows 8 users can get a free copy of Windows Media Center (normally $9.99), so I might try that and see what it looks like, otherwise, I'll stick with Media Monkey as a desktop app.

I don't think some of my offsite backscript scripts (created with Winscp) are automated anymore, but that's probably due to a missing or moved key.

Didn't have any problem with Putty. Haven't tried Eclipse yet, but I don't expect any problems with that, running in the desktop space.

It would be nice to be able to replace more desktop apps with Windows 8 apps but there aren't really that many that can be at the moment.

Overall, the new interface isn't too bad, it's no worse than any other UI, at least from the first 8 hours into it.

I paid $14 for the upgrade. $14 is worth it. $40 is not. More than that is a rip off.

I have not liked it since the Developer preview. It is too damn complicated. However, having said that, I am really trying to make it work. Installed on my Macbook (take that Apple groupies) which was a mistake since Bootcamp doesn't yet work with W8.

Top Bottom