Will xF be able to support my forum?

It's designed to scale up well, and should do better with a few bits of caching enabled (and we plan to expand the cache layer). However, please keep in mind that it hasn't been stressed to extreme levels yet. :)

Search will always be the big challenge. We do not currently have a Sphinx search system, though we hope that it won't be that hard to add to our search handler at some point.

I will be watching it closely then...

It takes us currently 3 beefy servers all cached to the hilt to be able to run our forum and that is with Sphinx integration. I dare not try to use the internal search function as it is an almost guaranteed forum killer with the amount of data and traffic we see on a regular basis.

I had a big issue rebuilding search index cache, still haven't completed it. That's a 700k posts board. Good luck with 20m posts!

That said, I turned on APC and the load went from 0.23 (vB was 0.37) to 0.09 to 0.14.

"no" big forum will jump on a "beta" in production environment

wait for stable release to hit and you will see many adapting to xF

Ya... that much I know, but I figured some guys would be at least testing it by now.

I had a big issue rebuilding search index cache, still haven't completed it. That's a 700k posts board. Good luck with 20m posts!

That said, I turned on APC and the load went from 0.23 (vB was 0.37) to 0.09 to 0.14.

Floris... all I have to say is :( regarding the indexing. I'm guessing it will be a mandate then to wait until sphinx integration is ready. Good to hear the load has dropped though.

Ya... that much I know, but I figured some guys would be at least testing it by now.

Floris... all I have to say is :( regarding the indexing. I'm guessing it will be a mandate then to wait until sphinx integration is ready. Good to hear the load has dropped though.

The thing is, it goes well, and goes fast .. It did not take long to get 150k done. But the load simply went from 0.09 to .. way toooo much. Since there currently is not 'pause/continue' button - but you can Exit the rebuilder, so when load goes up you can quit it. I think ideally doing a shell query or script to handle it would perhaps resolve that problem. I am not sure at this point. Maybe my server with xeon cpus and 2gb ram is just not enough.

I'm suprised there aren't any internal testing tools that are made during development to test this kind of thing. Course, I'm not sure why I'm suprised considering the industry.

my part running beta with 400 000 members just a test for one week. my server load went to 4.15
not sure if this is a software issue or not but apc isnt caching properly for xenforo

I'm just checking in to see if there are any updates on larger forums running xF?

not big .. but pretty busy http://forums.traditionsportsonline.com/

And this one here you are looking at : xenforo.com/forum Also not big but pretty busy :) ....

You will do just fine with xF some of the guys did implement the sphinx search , APC (and whatever opcache flavor you like)

Of course no BIG board will switch at the moment because the software is still beta :) But it's really good to know that the big boys are watching :)

Top Bottom