What was your solution for the Google Adsense deadline on Jan 16, 2024?

I run Google Adsense and my GDPR consent message and solution is...

• One created through Google Adsense, and it has already been approved.

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • One created through Google Adsense, and it has not yet been approved.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A modified XenForo one, and it has already been approved.

• A modified XenForo one, and it has not yet been approved.

• I chose a completely different solution, independent of Google Adsense & XenForo.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I am not sure what I am going to do.

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters

bzcomputers

I am interested in seeing and hearing about what solutions admins are currently using, or will be implementing in the near future, to keep compliant with Google AdSense's GDPR consent message requirement that is set to begin enforcement on January 16, 2024.

Concerns I currently have:
1) If using AdSense's own built in GDPR compliance system that XenForo registered users may need to resubmit their consent choice more often since the consent option choice will not be linked to the registered account itself, but saved to a browser cookie independent of any user account association. This will likely require a registered user to make this selection more often (for each device, each browser, and every time cookies are cleared). This will increase the chances they eventually start opting out of custom/personalized ads.
2) If your site only displays ads to certain user groups, there appears to be no way to limit the Google Adsense provided consent message to show only to those users. Does it check for active ad code on the page before asking for consent? If it doesn't then the GDPR consent message will show to everyone, independent of whether they are set to display ads or not.

Anyone have experience with or tested either of these?

Would love to hear other's concerns and/or solutions.

I only show AdSense to guests.

If you have guests from Europe or the UK and you are non-compliant to Adsense's new GDPR they will no longer see ads.

The population/potential guests this new GDPR compliance affects is approximately 30 countries (EEA & UK) covering 800+ million people.

I looked at the Google one a couple of months ago, it looked a bit complicated for me. Or was it that I had to have auto ads (which are horrible) ? can't quite remember now.

On one of my forums, which also has Wordpress, I toyed with extending the CookieYes plugin to the xenforopages (embedding the script in PAGE_CONTAINER) but that seemed to break a few things on xenForo so that was no use. :(

The very reason why i don't use advertising is because of the pedantic and discriminatory rules that exclude others.
I will be having a donation button from paypal instead.

I stopped using Adsense (and analytics) because of the GDPR rules.
Too much hassle, bad user experience and profit was dropping anyway.

Nearly all my readers are UK based. I'm holding off to the last possible moment as from that point my revenue will be next to nothing. The GoogleAds forum are completely unhelpful, even more so those responsible for these changes at Google.

I also don't use Adsense, it never seemed worth the hassle unless you are a big board. Seems like it always breaks something with your site, or causes pages to load slow. I am more about speed. I just foot everything out of my own pocket for others to enjoy.

Reactions: cwe
I implemented the Google GDPR message at least a couple months ago, and disabled the Xenforo Cookie Consent feature a bit later.

Don't take this advice, but am letting Google Manage who they show the GDPR Message/Consent to. I think it has been beneficial to my site.

For me, the statistics that Google shows on GDPR messages shown and consent percentage is interesting. It's like we all "went off the rails" on GDPR and forced something that not everyone wanted.

Xenforo is a UK based company. Why aren't they stepping up to add this feature to the core program?

Xenforo is a UK based company. Why aren't they stepping up to add this feature to the core program?

In a way, they already have with the Cookie Consent feature.

For now, if you want to utilize the Google/Adsense/GDPR option you would have to go to your Adsense Admin site, make some choices, and decide which implementation you prefer.

Apparently Google will automatically do it for you if you agree, but my experience is the custom route. I didn't like doing it initially, but am happy after figuring some things out.

I didn't like doing it initially, but am happy after figuring some things out.
Yes they eventually made it a bit easier and clearer how to do it.

But one thing still puzzles me: under GDPR does this replace the existing cookie consent or does one still need that also for all the other (non Advertising) cookies?

But one thing still puzzles me: under GDPR does this replace the existing cookie consent or does one still need that also for all the other (non Advertising) cookies?
Yes, you technically still need the existing cookie if you do not setup the "Add purposes for your own use" option:

1705362854032.webp

There are about 12 line item options to choice from in that option. At a minimum most should probably be selecting these line items under "Add purposes for your own use":
  1. Store and/or access information on a device
  2. Use profiles to select personalized content
  3. Measure content performance
---------------------------------------------------------------

Even if you do that, you technically still need the existing XenForo cookie to display to all users not being shown the GDPR message, basically everywhere outside the UK and European Union.

It's all still a mess. I'm sure XenForo doesn't want to get into the middle of it because a good solution will likely require frequent changes. Technically if the GDPR message does not show it should fallback to using the XenForo cookie notice but there is a lot of work in getting something like that to happen and it surely won't be seen till after XenForo 2.3 unless someone creates an add-on for it.

2) If your site only displays ads to certain user groups, there appears to be no way to limit the Google Adsense provided consent message to show only to those users. Does it check for active ad code on the page before asking for consent? If it doesn't then the GDPR consent message will show to everyone, independent of whether they are set to display ads or not.

Anyone have experience with or tested either of these?
It would seem the notice only displays when and where ads display.

Do only to user groups who see ads and only on pages where ads display.

I looked at the Google one a couple of months ago, it looked a bit complicated for me. Or was it that I had to have auto ads (which are horrible) ? can't quite remember now.

On one of my forums, which also has Wordpress, I toyed with extending the CookieYes plugin to the xenforopages (embedding the script in PAGE_CONTAINER) but that seemed to break a few things on xenForo so that was no use. :(

You can disable all the auto ad formats, and still, technically, be running the auto ads.

It doesn't prevent you from manual ad placement.

You can disable all the auto ad formats, and still, technically, be running the auto ads.
Yes but things changed since that posts - you now don't need auto ads in order to have the Google CMP. (maybe you never did and it was just the confusing way they worded it back then)

Top Bottom