XF 2.2 Will XF 2.3 Support Latest Stable Versions of PHP?

Xenforo currently does not support any live versions of PHP.

We have been anxious to upgrade PHP for a long time in anticipation of your updates.

Will XF 2.3 support any of the latest stable versions of PHP and if so, which versions?

Thank you.

To be clear, there are no changes in 2.2.14 to add support for PHP 8.1. It should work as it is with all recent versions.

Changes are a bit more extensive for PHP 8.2 so that will wait until 2.3.

There’s unlikely to be a 2.2.15 release.

To be clear, are you saying XF 2.2.13 fully supports all stable PHP 8.1 versions?

Thank you.

Our programmer said the last time we tried to upgrade to PHP 8.1 from your suggestion, we had severe gallery performance issues and had to roll back to 8.0. We still have severely slow load times in the gallery, and every time I asked about you guys fixing the code in the gallery like you promised for years, my posts were deleted. So I'm a bit anxious and skeptical to try again.

There were a lot of breaking changes in PHP 8.1, so we were conservative in declaring it stable and supported. It will be the officially recommended version in XF 2.2.14, by virtue of there being no new issues reported for the last several versions.

Resolving gallery perfomance issues is still targeted for XFMG 2.3, but add-on related changes have yet to be formally announced. That said, nothing about PHP 8.1 should make any difference there, as the issues are caused by sub-optimal queries rather than something PHP related.

There were a lot of breaking changes in PHP 8.1, so we were conservative in declaring it stable and supported. It will be the officially recommended version in XF 2.2.14, by virtue of there being no new issues reported for the last several versions.
This is good news and makes me feel better, thank you. I've instructed our systems admin to perform the upgrade and will let you know if we encounter any issues.

Resolving gallery perfomance issues is still targeted for XFMG 2.3, but add-on related changes have yet to be formally announced. That said, nothing about PHP 8.1 should make any difference there, as the issues are caused by sub-optimal queries rather than something PHP related.
Thank you for explaining this. We've been praying for this fix forever, looking forward to it tenfold.

Nothing worse than clicking on an image and waiting for 15 seconds for it to load. Imagine trying to look at fifty photos in a gallery, fifteen seconds per photo. Hardly anyone uses our gallery anymore, they all just use attachments because the gallery is too slow and cumbersome.

Top Bottom