Will there ever be an official vB4 importer?

Royals

I've been on the fence for awhile now, considering the switch to Xenforo. The main thing holding me back is the lack of an officially supported importer for vB4. Is there a reason one doesn't exist? I don't even need it to import articles and blog posts if that's the issue. Just import all the forum stuff, threads, posts, members, usergroups, PMs, etc.

Just wondering if this is in the works or if there are reasons why it will never happen.

I've been on the fence for awhile now, considering the switch to Xenforo. The main thing holding me back is the lack of an officially supported importer for vB4. Is there a reason one doesn't exist? I don't even need it to import articles and blog posts if that's the issue. Just import all the forum stuff, threads, posts, members, usergroups, PMs, etc.

Just wondering if this is in the works or if there are reasons why it will never happen.

Re-inventing the wheel.

At the time Paul M's converter did everything it needed to, and it did it well. So develoment time was / is better spent on the xenforo core.

An official importer most likely will be done eventually, but no eta as of yet.

Another community member is also coding an importer up with extended functionality and support for the latest xenforo version.

Well, another 'on the fence' admin here :) . We want to migrate to XF but Paul M's importer does not support custom user fields. I just wish someone adds the required lines of code and we'd be another happy forum.

I guess tons of vB 4 admins would be waiting for this importer. Right? Can we have an official word on this?

I'd guess there's a "reason" they haven't done an official vB4 importer and it probably has something to due with the current legal issues. Just a guess of course though.

In anycase, as someone already mentioned, it's being written by someone else "King K"(can't remember the spelling). Anyway, hopefully his will be ready soon as he's been working on it for a bit so maybe it's close.

I'd guess there's a "reason" they haven't done an official vB4 importer and it probably has something to due with the current legal issues. Just a guess of course though.

In anycase, as someone already mentioned, it's being written by someone else "King K"(can't remember the spelling). Anyway, hopefully his will be ready soon as he's been working on it for a bit so maybe it's close.
Are you sure about the 'legal issues' and 'vb4' importer connection? If that's true, I'll begin worrying.

I just need an importer that works. If official - nothing like it; but I'm already waiting for King K's importer. No news about it since long time :(

PS: How much I wish I knew PHP. I'd have released the importer myself by now :p

Are you sure about the 'legal issues' and 'vb4' importer connection? If that's true, I'll begin worrying.

I just need an importer that works. If official - nothing like it; but I'm already waiting for King K's importer. No news about it since long time :(

Its being worked on, however importers aren't exactly the easiest thing to do.

I doubt they're not doing a vB4 importer because of the lawsuits or else we wouldn't have a vB3 importer. There's a far larger amount of vBulletin 3 installations that haven't moved to vB4 for a variety of reasons; it makes sense that they targeted the largest demographic first.

The community here has taken it upon themselves to handle vB4 imports, so while I'm sure an official one will come in the future, at this time if the current ones do a great job that leads to the same result I see no problem with them focusing on other areas first.

Unsure of what you mean by "long time." It's been officially worked on for a little over a month, which for a new project is still relatively early. He's working on it as fast as possible, but importers can be tricky. Like we announced before, a public beta will be available soon. :)

Unsure of what you mean by "long time." It's been officially worked on for a little over a month, which for a new project is still relatively early. He's working on it as fast as possible, but importers can be tricky. Like we announced before, a public beta will be available soon. :)
Oh well, I know importer is tricky to code and there's no scope for bugs. I already have an eye on XenFluence :) . Bring it on guys! I know I'm totally impatient!

Nothing to do with that.

As I posted earlier (confirming what Slavik said), there was no point in duplicating the work Paul M did when that time could be better spent elsewhere.

I also want to migrate to XF but Paul's importer does not support custom user fields.

There's a far larger amount of vBulletin 3 installations that haven't moved to vB4 for a variety of reasons; it makes sense that they targeted the largest demographic first.

But there are a lot more unsatisfied vB4 customers than vB3 customers I guess. :(

But there are a lot more unsatisfied vB4 customers than vB3 customers I guess. :(
Being more vocal doesn't necessarily imply more customers.

Not to say that there's a few vB4 customers–I'm sure there's a lot–but I imagine the number of sites actually using vB4 is far smaller than those using vB3, even if they have bought vB4 but found it unfit to upgrade to. Those who have upgraded and regret it are understandably wanting to find a way out any way possible and fast.

Top Bottom