will there be an ignore function?

dieketzer

i have been operating under the assumption that some sort of ignore function would eventually be included with xf. due to a recent comment by kier, however, i am now wondering if that assumption may have been wrong. i am wondering if there is some sort of reluctance to include an ignore function... its beta 6 and i have seen absolutely no headway on this, nor even an acknowledgement of 'ignore', while i watch further development of, imo, less useful end-user features.
ignore is pretty important not only to my users, but to me as an administrator. i do not like to referee. i do not like to mediate. i do not like to spend my time with users' conflicts. in nearly all cases my resolution is they ignore the other. as is, xf is problematic in that it requires me to intervene in petty disputes. bear in mind i do not run a board that bans willy-nilly, or bans people for merely not getting on with the majority. its not so easy to deal with these issues as i cannot simply ban bob to make jane happy.
is there an ignore function upcoming? if not, why? if so, what is its priority? is this something that needs to be viewed as an addon? id just like a little hint so i can determine how to deal with this issue.

On the whole, the purpose of the beta has been to get towards a stable version. While some features have appeared, generally they're fairly small and don't have a large number of interactions. An ignore system has interactions all over the system.

It is something we are interested in for a future version. I couldn't commit to a time frame, though I'd rather see it sooner than later... that said, there are a bunch of things that fit that bill. :)

Interesting. I've never used the ignore option in all the years I have run a forum. As admin, I cannot ignore anyone in case they post something that breaks the rules. And if a member reaches the point when people want to ignore their posts, IMHO they have reached the point when they need to be moderated or shown the door :)

Interesting. I've never used the ignore option in all the years I have run a forum. As admin, I cannot ignore anyone in case they post something that breaks the rules. And if a member reaches the point when people want to ignore their posts, IMHO they have reached the point when they need to be moderated or shown the door :)
your point would be great if anyone had said anything about admins using the ignore option.
i dont personally use ignore at all, not as an admin nor as a normal user. but it is a fundamental part of my moderation style.

On the whole, the purpose of the beta has been to get towards a stable version. While some features have appeared, generally they're fairly small and don't have a large number of interactions. An ignore system has interactions all over the system.

It is something we are interested in for a future version. I couldn't commit to a time frame, though I'd rather see it sooner than later... that said, there are a bunch of things that fit that bill. :)
while your response doesnt fill me with much joy, i am happy to know that you do intend to have an ignore function at some time in the future.
i hope that you take on board the suggestions made in this thread.

So in answer nothing new is to be added unless it's something fairly minor between now and final?

Glad I only paid $100
So am I, but not in the reason you implied... I support xenforo with being a visionary on what needed to have your forum become a better community. I rather not have anything that can discourage members from participating... but then you do get a bad nut in the mix once in awhile.

Glad I only paid $100

Say what??

If you look back at other forum software, typically, the beta phase - at least the latter phase of beta - on any forum software, is feature locked.
The beta phase is used to fix and iron out bugs to carry the software into the stable release. Then new features are added in future releases.
But of course you know that, or should.

IMO, if you purchased this software for $100, you got a helluva good deal.

So in answer nothing new is to be added unless it's something fairly minor between now and final?

Glad I only paid $100
For a first release, XF is actually feature rich. Remember the first release of other forum software? I rest my case ;)

Also like Kier said, they plan to release more features in next releases (in 2011) and let's not forget all the add-ons that are and will be released right after the first version goes gold.

Glad I only paid $100

So you would honestly rather them chock this thing full of features even at the expensive of introducing more bugs into the system?

I think the way Kier and Mike have handled these releases are great. They want a solid core before moving on to the next phase of this software package.. sounds logical to me.

Oh, and don't forget... since you paid for the 'early bird' special you will also get updates for over a year since your 'yearly' support contract doesn't start until they release the stable version..

Jamie

Glad I only paid $100

That's a little cheeky.

I too agree the way Kier, Mike & Ashley have handled these releases has been nothing short of outstanding. We are all waiting for more features to be developed but let's just bare in mind that there are two people on development creating a solid foundation and squishing out bugs.

I want a hundred things that I can mention off the bat but first the core product being stabilised further, existing features refined is something I think that calls for priority rather than "I want this feature" "why isn't this feature added" there's just too many people wanting specific things.

I'm looking forward in the ongoing of an even more stable product. No corners cut, we know what happens when we start focusing on other features and ignoring the flagship product when it comes to customers wants.

Well forgive me for thinking that we had paid for a product in beta - not a usual software practice either. Also isnt it harder to introduce new features once a software goes gold? Bearing in mind it has to be supported officially then?

I love the replies i get for daring to challenge anything here too - sorry i don't think Mike & Kier are any sort of god im afraid.

You might have want to introduce such suggestion in 'Alpha Stage' (could of slipped in this beta version, but I do not want this mod introduced into core product without input from customers). This is xenforo and not some other forum script that is barely out of beta stage... Thou they say it is gold, but you can tell it is not.

Like you just said 'not a usual software practice'. I do not recall any 'strong arming' methods used on customers to buy software in beta, as it was introduce to customers to give them the feel of the product and still get a full year of support after it goes gold.

Just realize I am in presales forum.

I think one of the problems is that we've all got different expectations as well as different "must have" requirements for our individual boards.

Keen as many of us are to move to xF, for some it simply isn't practical right now - well not until "x" feature or option is available.

You've got to start from somewhere though and getting the first version "out the door" will happen much quicker if it's feature-locked and the final beta stages are used to iron out the remaining bugs and smooth the cracks for the existing feature set.

I can think of literally hundreds of things that xF doesn't have or do at the moment that I would love to see, but knowing who's behind it and knowing their track record, I've every confidence that those things will come; or that as the plugin developer community grows, an "option" will be there at some point.

Do I ... WANT IT ALL NOW!!!? Hell yeah!!!

Am I going to get it? Erm, no. Sorry, but no.

I agree too that spending $140 for a license for a "not as complete" package (in comparison with the features of the nearest competitors) may seem excesive to some, but however Godlike or not you think the xF team are you cannot deny their pedigree and the fact that they will "come up with the goods".

Short-term, you won't get the "full" package that you might by chosing one of xF's competitors, but as a long-term investment I don't think you can go wrong.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Top Bottom