will there be an ignore function?

dieketzer

i have been operating under the assumption that some sort of ignore function would eventually be included with xf. due to a recent comment by kier, however, i am now wondering if that assumption may have been wrong. i am wondering if there is some sort of reluctance to include an ignore function... its beta 6 and i have seen absolutely no headway on this, nor even an acknowledgement of 'ignore', while i watch further development of, imo, less useful end-user features.
ignore is pretty important not only to my users, but to me as an administrator. i do not like to referee. i do not like to mediate. i do not like to spend my time with users' conflicts. in nearly all cases my resolution is they ignore the other. as is, xf is problematic in that it requires me to intervene in petty disputes. bear in mind i do not run a board that bans willy-nilly, or bans people for merely not getting on with the majority. its not so easy to deal with these issues as i cannot simply ban bob to make jane happy.
is there an ignore function upcoming? if not, why? if so, what is its priority? is this something that needs to be viewed as an addon? id just like a little hint so i can determine how to deal with this issue.

if a member reaches the point when people want to ignore their posts, IMHO they have reached the point when they need to be moderated or shown the door :)

Of course, you administer your own forums as you prefer, but I don't really agree with that position at all. Web forums bring together so many different people that it's inevitable that some won't get on with others. Sure, some people are trolls and never have any worthwhile input; they are indeed candidates for being banned or otherwise dealt with. But a lot of disputes are between individuals who don't like each other for whatever reason. Poster_A may not like Poster_B, but they may both be worthy contributors, liked by other members of the forum's community. It's great if they can simply ignore each other. Now, we can say "be grown up about it and show some self control," asking them to ignore for themselves; but human nature is what it is, so things are made much simpler if the forum software can do the work of ensuring they don't see each other's posts.

Of all the features my posters have lost in the move from vBulletin to XenForo, an ignore feature is the one I get asked about most often.

Top Bottom