Wii U

From the trailers, specifically the first look at the games they look absolutely reminiscence to the garbage I throw out each morning.

2 reasons I'll buy the Wii U

- Mario Kart
- Super Mario Bros

Rest of the games, especially ones I've viewed on youtube look terrible.

That looks cool just searched Mario Kart Black on youtube. Care to explain how you get this on the Wii? seems like a cracked game to me and is this a legitimate game?
It's a hacked version of Mario Kart.
It's fun if you like Mario Kart.
If you win the race it plays Queen: We are the Champions vs. the regular song. stuff like that.
It'll be on some torrent somewhere.

It's a hacked version of Mario Kart.
It's fun if you like Mario Kart.
If you win the race it plays Queen: We are the Champions vs. the regular song. stuff like that.
It'll be on some torrent somewhere.

oh right, I don't download anything I haven't purchased. Call me old fashioned. Looks good though.

I'll wait for a Metroid or Zelda title. By then, there will have been a price drop already knowing Nintendo.

PS4 and the next Xbox I'll probably buy at launch.

The good: The Wii U offers a unique two-screen gaming experience on a tablet controller dubbed the GamePad. It's the first-ever HD Nintendo gaming system that offers gameplay for up to five people on select games. The Wii U is also fully backward compatible with old Wii games and controllers. Off-TV play on select games allows for placeshifting play without the need for a TV.

The bad: The Wii U's TVii functionality (and most streaming-video apps) has been delayed until December. Some OS loading times are too long, and the GamePad has a very short battery life. The built-in storage may not be enough for those who plan on downloading a lot of games. The Wii U graphics are only just about on par with current-generation games on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Playing some Wii U games can be awkward and requires a learning curve in general. Having to look away from the screen on some games can be uncomfortable or disorienting.

The bottom line: Despite some clever dual-screen gaming mechanics, the Wii U's lack of compelling exclusive software and an overall unpolished user experience make it tough to recommend in its current state.

==============
Unfortunately, one section where the Wii U majorly fails -- compared with other consoles -- is media playback. Truth is, there is none. Even with all of its USB ports and SD slot, users cannot play their own media on the console. Throw this into the missed opportunity category.

Speaking of missed opportunities, I personally think the Wii U could be a great DLNA player. Bear with me here, but imagine scrolling through your own networked media collection, say off a networked attached storage (NAS), and using the GamePad to select what you want to watch. Or even watching it on the GamePad!

====

After a few weeks with the system, it's tough to get around just how cumbersome the GamePad really is. It's not the type of controller that you can just set down. It takes up a lot of real estate. I can only imagine how a small child will perform with this enormous game controller in his or her hands. I don't know any small children, so I couldn't test this out. I have massive hands and find myself stretching across the screen to tap specific locations with my thumbs.

====

Wii U launch needed to be flawless. And obviously that didn't happen.

The good: The Wii U offers a unique two-screen gaming experience on a tablet controller dubbed the GamePad. It's the first-ever HD Nintendo gaming system that offers gameplay for up to five people on select games. The Wii U is also fully backward compatible with old Wii games and controllers. Off-TV play on select games allows for placeshifting play without the need for a TV.

The bad: The Wii U's TVii functionality (and most streaming-video apps) has been delayed until December. Some OS loading times are too long, and the GamePad has a very short battery life. The built-in storage may not be enough for those who plan on downloading a lot of games. The Wii U graphics are only just about on par with current-generation games on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Playing some Wii U games can be awkward and requires a learning curve in general. Having to look away from the screen on some games can be uncomfortable or disorienting.

The bottom line: Despite some clever dual-screen gaming mechanics, the Wii U's lack of compelling exclusive software and an overall unpolished user experience make it tough to recommend in its current state.

==============
Unfortunately, one section where the Wii U majorly fails -- compared with other consoles -- is media playback. Truth is, there is none. Even with all of its USB ports and SD slot, users cannot play their own media on the console. Throw this into the missed opportunity category.

Speaking of missed opportunities, I personally think the Wii U could be a great DLNA player. Bear with me here, but imagine scrolling through your own networked media collection, say off a networked attached storage (NAS), and using the GamePad to select what you want to watch. Or even watching it on the GamePad!

====

After a few weeks with the system, it's tough to get around just how cumbersome the GamePad really is. It's not the type of controller that you can just set down. It takes up a lot of real estate. I can only imagine how a small child will perform with this enormous game controller in his or her hands. I don't know any small children, so I couldn't test this out. I have massive hands and find myself stretching across the screen to tap specific locations with my thumbs.

====

Wii U launch needed to be flawless. And obviously that didn't happen.

Good post.

My concern is the amount of shi--y games that are going to come out. Zelda - One of my all time fav games, when it was on theSNES the top-down view so I'm expecting the same old 3rd/1st person crap for the wii U. They really should have stuck with the top down view.

mario kart
mario bros

Two titles that won't be released for atleast 6 months. Is there an eta on these two titles? Or is this not announced yet?

Not supporting playback? So I can't say insert a dvd and watch it? or transfer my movies I converted from my collection onto the onboard storage?

Just a sidenote and somewhat unrelated: The SNES controller had to be the most comfortable gamepad ever made, imo.

oh right, I don't download anything I haven't purchased. Call me old fashioned. Looks good though.
Good thinking, lady. :) It's more or less old fashioned, but it's a cautious move on your part. I'm the same way, I never download anything that I do not know about or purchased. I know about Mario Kart, and if I like it, I would expect downloads to be direct from the company that makes the game.
My concern is the amount of shi--y games that are going to come out. Zelda - One of my all time fav games, when it was on theSNES the top-down view so I'm expecting the same old 3rd/1st person crap for the wii U. They really should have stuck with the top down view.
My concern is also the amount of $h!tty games that could plague Wii U, but then again, it's aimed at hardcore gamers, so that pretty much attracts general console developers to work on Wii U as usual like the PS3/Xbox 360.

As for Zelda.... Don't get me wrong, I love the "top down" formula of the Zelda series, but I also loved Zelda: Ocarina of Time - this is the game that spawned or inspired Nintendo to keep going in the 3D direction. Problem is, Nintendo was stupid. Instead of going in the same direction by keeping the formula and changing just about everything we've come to know Zelda, they #@^&ed it up and lost just about everyone.

Wind Waker changed a lot of the Zelda formula by "trying" to innovate through changing the art style, dungeon crawling gameplay, and this stupid boat gameplay, while epic is what they were going for, it bored a lot of players, including myself. They tried to change again with Twilight Princess, but then derivative from the formula again by making everything inaccessible at times. It just got worse from there, and I hope to god the new Zelda game is better than any two after OOT.
The SNES controller had to be the most comfortable gamepad ever made, imo.
I agree. It's part of the reason why I went from Genesis to SNES. I love the Six Button Genesis controller, but the SNES controller seems a lot easier to "access." I have really good flexed out hands. I only wished Ninja Gaiden had a direct sequel on SNES, I would button mash my controller to death. I would have bought it on a heartbeat and tell my mom to buy that game instead of the other games that I told my mom I wanted.

There would be no game that hold my interest that long, like the first two Ninja Gaiden NES games. No game. I'm sorry.

Investors, however, were less than enthusiastic this week. By Tuesday midday, Nintendo shares were down 9% since Friday. The stock is languishing at less than four-fifths its value before the 2009 global financial crisis, after recovering about 7% from a five-year low in late July,

The gaming company aims to sell some 5.5 million units of its new console and 24 million software packages by the end of March 2013, as it seeks to reverse its first-ever net loss, of US$530 million, reported in the financial year to March 2012.

Nintendo was looking for strong demand after the Wii U was outsold in its opening few days of sale in the United States last month by the Sony PlayStation 3. Some 400,000 Wii U units were sold in the console's first week of sales in North America, the IGN website reported, citing Nintendo of America's president Reggie Fils-Aime. Other reports put the figure at 425,000. The PlayStation 3 sold 525,000 units in the United States in the same period, the website reported.

===================================
Wii U seems to have almost zero traction so far.
That can't be good.

I still see no reason the Wii U will do well.
What is the point of the Game Pad ? It's just confusing .. you don't know when to look at the pad and when to look at the screen.
Yes, there are niche uses for it, like Super Mario Bros WiiU. But even that seems contrived to me.
But thanks to Nintendo ... they've cleared it up for me.

It's for karaoke ... so you can face the crowd ! /fail.

wiiu.sing.party.karaoke.to.the.crowd.fail.webp

Code:
http://singparty.nintendo.com/

A lot of people made the same arguments about the Wii... That the Wiimote seemed gimmicky, it wouldn't work, etc. And the Wii, at least purely from a sales perspective, turned out great. I think the Wii U will do well. They clearly aren't targeting the hardcore gamers, who I still believe represent a niche of the overall market.

I wasn't aware you were capable of predicting the future.
I enjoy predicting, for the challenge itself, mostly because predictions have clear winners and losers ... where real life is much more complicated and nothing is black and white.
A lot of people made the same arguments about the Wii.
I keep hearing that notion and I don't believe it's relevant.
I don't know what I would have thought about the Wii. By the time I heard of it ... there was so much buzz about it's popularity ... I was biased.

I disliked the concept of the Wii U (the tablet) from the moment I heard it. I thought for sure the Wii would be an even better Wiimote + Kinect - like device. To me, that was the next logical step for the Wii and gaming in general.

More hard sales numbers are coming in ... and I think the Wii U is proving to be a huge flop.

Sales numbers from Friday show the Wii U is doing terrible.

A SENSE OF DREAD SHROUDS NINTENDO’S WII U

link-sad.webp

http://bgr.com/2013/01/11/nintendo-wii-u-sales-analysis-289621/

The latest Wii U sales numbers are out from Japan, the United States and the United Kingdom — and unease is deepening. In Japan, Famitsu Magazine reported Wii U weekly sales slipping to 70,000 units from 76,000 units during the important period ending in January 6. This is the week many Japanese teenagers spend their New Year’s money and sales of consoles tend to bounce. During the week, the portable 3DS sold 305,000 units, up sharply from the already impressive 266,000 units in the previous week. The seven-year-old Sony (SNE) PlayStation 3 managed to increase its sales to 64,000 units from 54,000 units. The equally ancient PSP climbed to 53,000 from 34,000. Even the star-crossed PS Vita managed to vault to 31,000 from 18,000.

As Wii U sales are mired close to PlayStation 3 levels in Japan, it is getting hammered by the aging Microsoft (MSFT) Xbox 360 in America. NPD just reported that Xbox 360 moved 1.4 million units in December while Wii U limped through the holiday season with 460,000 units. This is below the 600,000 unit level that the earlier Wii console managed years ago against a much younger console competition in 2006. Back then, Wii launched head-to-head with Sony’s PlayStation 3 in the US market, and the Xbox 360 had been launched just one year earlier.

In 2012, Wii U debuted against two rival home consoles that were more than half a decade old. The results are not pretty. Meanwhile in the U.K., the Wii U shifted 40,000 units during its launch weekend, but none of the titles cracked the top 10 of the GfK game software chart.

It is clear that the lack of compelling software is hurting Wii U right now. Nintendo (NTDOY) wanted to push it out well before the buzz around the next generations of Sony and Microsoft consoles started building. The problem with the rush is that Wii U is now facing several fallow months before big titles arrive. The January-April sales period could be spectacularly ugly and may cause real damage to Nintendo’s home console reputation if it leads to U.S. sales dipping below 300,000 a month and Japanese sales dipping below 30,000 a month. The danger here is that if consumers start suspecting that the Wii U is a lame duck, they may choose to wait for one of the big rival vendors to roll out some spectacular hardware next winter.

All in all, it’s hard to avoid the notion that the console gaming universe is shrinking.

Wii U, using BGR terms, is a lame duck.

Sales will likely pick up once a lot of Nintendo's key franchises (Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid, etc.) have new games out. That's certainly been the case with the 3DS. After a somewhat slow start, sales really began to pick up during the past year.

Nintendo's main issue with the Wii-U is it still does not have a mature online experience. They've had years and years to get it right, I dunno why they are incapable of having something on par with Xbox Live. I'm sure even "casual gamers" would enjoy having an immersive online experience.

Sales will likely pick up once a lot of Nintendo's key franchises (Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid, etc.) have new games out.
Hmmmmm.
It could, but my guess is that won't happen to an appreciable extent.
If it was just a matter of having another Zelda title to rocket sales ... surely Nintendo would have orchestrated that from launch.
I think Jan / Feb / March sales will be poor, to the extent that it could stifle development interest because people don't want to develop for an unpopular console.
I also don't think getting OK sales by releasing titles for key Nintendo franchises is a victory. That's just preaching to the converted. Nintendo needs to pick up new fans. I will admit I will buy a WiiU if that is the only console that would play Super Mario Galaxy 3 (if released).
That's certainly been the case with the Nintendo 3DS. After a somewhat slow start, sales really began to pick up during the past year.
Got my son a 3DS XL for Christmas. Mostly for Mario Kart 7 :)
Playing online has been pretty good.

Nintendo's main issue with the Wii-U is it still does not have a mature online experience. They've had years and years to get it right, I dunno why they are incapable of having something on par with Xbox Live. I'm sure even "casual gamers" would enjoy having an immersive online experience.
Good point - a better online experience could incrementally improve sales. I don't think a better online experience would save a troubled console.

Most of this thread deals with the prediction the WiiU won't do well based on the WiiU itself.
It is possible the pressures from a PS4 and Xbox720 could be even bigger factors.

PS4 / Xbox720 Release dates: sometime in 2013 ?

E3 2013 Confirmed for June 11-13, 2013 (believed an Xbox announcement might happen).
As well, VG247 is quoting an anonymous source (always a bad start to a rumour) as saying that Sony believes it is in a position to get the PS4 out of the door before the launch of Microsoft's Xbox 720. The next Xbox is almost certain to hit the shelves in 2013 so maybe we expect them to arrive roughly together. [TechRadar]

I'd love to confirm that the PS4 will have a Kinect-like device. I felt the Wii U should have had one.

I've always liked nintendo for it's simplicity and fun. The wii started to get away from that. Whenever possible I use the wii controller in the classic way instead of swinging it around. The wii u is doing nothing for me.

I just checked out mario brothers on you tube. It looks like the bundled the old mario's into one?

I most likely wouldn't buy one unless I found one used for cheap.

I've always liked nintendo for it's simplicity and fun. The wii started to get away from that.
You won't like the "two screen" approach to the wii then.

The best Wii games might be the ones you use the nunchuck to direct the character and the remote press the buttons and shake.

The Wii remote is great, IMO. I'll think up which games I think the controller "works best" for.

Top Bottom