Wii U

Hm... not sure how it would be possible to play using a giant controller with a screen while looking at the TV screen at the same time.. :rolleyes:

497x512xNintendo-Wii-U-Console-Generic-Image-497x512.jpg.pagespeed.ic.UHnZAICaul.jpg

Nintendo could be saving itself.

http://www.forgetthebox.net/mag/culture/forum-m/rumor-wii-u-price.php

Rumor: Wii U’s Total Bill of Materials Estimated at $180

Speaking with sources closely involved with manufacturing and distributing Nintendo products, the total cost of materials to manufacture the Wii U console (includes cost of controller) is estimated to be around $180. On top of this, our source tells us the controller’s total bill of materials and components cost no more than $50.

Only $50 for the controller with a screen ? Seems weird.

A $300 WiiU could do OK. Maybe game makers won't bother with the extra screen ?

I think the WiiU could have been so much more. It's not going to get hard core gamers over to the Wii. I think it is best to think of the WiiU as a Wii with HD.

I'll be getting one as soon as they release Super Mario Galaxy 3 ! :)

“Nintendo chose an economical GPU and CPU that could keep up with the performance of today’s current consoles, but keep hardware costs down to maximize profits. Nintendo got a bargain price on the custom GPU and CPU that the Wii U uses. There is a bigger focus on downloadable content, applications, video content, digital distribution, and services to create a stream of revenue. Investors will be ecstatic with the news.”

Interesting.

Maybe the WiiU will be less about games and more of a Media Center with games ?

The Wiiu console will go on sale Nov. 18 in North America at two price points. The basic unit with eight gigabytes of storage will sell for $299 while the deluxe version will cost $349 and come bundled with 32 GB, the Nintendo Land game, a charger for the GamePad controller and a few other accessories.

Enter Nintendo with a system that asks gamers to take their eyes off the television. While up to four people can play a game on the TV screen as per usual, the player who wields the GamePad generally has a different task. In Super Mario Bros. Wii U, the other launch title confirmed on Thursday, he or she can add or subtract blocks to the main TV screen for the other players to jump onto. In that way, they can either aid or hinder their friends.
Not so sure how much fun that will be.

In the end, there probably hasn’t been a console release as uncertain as this one. With observers divided in their expectations, the risk level for Nintendo is high. Like the high-wire artist, there’s no slam dunk in regards to the Wii U. It could put on an amazing show, or it could experience a spectacular fall.
It's fall.

I think the biggest problem will be the Wii owners not seeing enough reason to switch from their current units.
It's like Windows 8 competing against Windows 7 (and XP!).
I'm not buying a WiiU, unless there is a Super Mario Galaxy 3 !

source

A very nice upgrade for just $50 more. I see no reason not to get the premium model, unless you're not interested in the Wii-U to begin with.

I am getting this but not because of the third party support, but because of the first party games. I have skipped Wii because there is just no... "wow" with it, how is Wii U different? Well, GamePad is one thing, but finally, FINALLY Nintendo wakes up and starts jumping on the HD bandwagon. It was a no-brainer.

Wii U caters to all types, but this time around, Nintendo seems to be aiming their crosshairs at the hardcore market..

That said... Black Ops 2 is heading to Wii U:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just found out Bayonetta 2 is exclusive to Wii-U.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2012/09/14/bayonetta-2-devs-respond-to-exclusivity-criticism

“That being said, the console games market is in a state of upheaval, so establishing a new game franchise requires a considerable amount of will, determination, and love. Bayonetta is a brand that we want to see become stronger, reaching the hands of more and more gamers, so we have continued to consult with SEGA, the previous game’s publisher, on how we can make sure this takes place. Our answer was a new partnership with Nintendo.

“Alongside Nintendo, we hope to grow the Bayonetta brand beyond where it stands today, allowing even more gamers around the world to experience the action of our beloved witch.”
While nothing has been confirmed, its believed that Bayonetta 2 was dropped by SEGA as a result of the company’s reshuffle earlier this year when it was decided that the publisher would only focus on core franchises in future. It's possible that Nintendo swooped in to save the game and made it into a Wii U exclusive in the process.

Sega dropped Platinum and NINTENDO SCOOPED THEM UP WOOOOOOO

It's a wrap folks.

Nintendo needs to buy Rare back. Rare sucks now.

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2012/08/21/donnchadh-murphy-chats-about-rare/

Q: Are there any Rare games you would like to see as HD remakes on Xbox Live Arcade?

A: Probably the same game every Rare fan wants to see and that’s KI3 (Killer Instinct 3). We all wanted to make KI3, but Microsoft [was] more interested in broadening their demographic than making another fighting game. So it never got made, I doubt it ever will.

Sega dropped Platinum and NINTENDO SCOOPED THEM UP WOOOOOOO
If that's true, then I say "Stupid. Stupid. Stupid move." I've heard nothing but good things about Bayonetta since it was released across Xbox 360 and PS3. So since Nintendo announced the exclusivity of B2, everyone got pissed.
Nintendo needs to buy Rare back. Rare sucks now.
Won't happen. Microsoft does not have a track record of selling it's divisions. The whole point of buying Rare was to do something Microsoft is eying. Since the acquisition, Microsoft made it into a family company, and as such, it's not really surprising, since half of their games are family oriented.
Q: Are there any Rare games you would like to see as HD remakes on Xbox Live Arcade?

A: Probably the same game every Rare fan wants to see and that’s KI3 (Killer Instinct 3). We all wanted to make KI3, but Microsoft [was] more interested in broadening their demographic than making another fighting game. So it never got made, I doubt it ever will.
Microsoft has always been scared about M-rated video games. This has been clear since the inception of Xbox. Halo, Forza, Viva Pianta, these names don't resonate with violence. Halo has the M rating label, but blood or "suggestive themes," are like, vanilla Grand Theft Auto. Man, ESRB is retarded.

If that's true, then I say "Stupid. Stupid. Stupid move." I've heard nothing but good things about Bayonetta since it was released across Xbox 360 and PS3. So since Nintendo announced the exclusivity of B2, everyone got pissed.

Won't happen. Microsoft does not have a track record of selling it's divisions. The whole point of buying Rare was to do something Microsoft is eying. Since the acquisition, Microsoft made it into a family company, and as such, it's not really surprising, since half of their games are family oriented.

Microsoft has always been scared about M-rated video games. This has been clear since the inception of Xbox. Halo, Forza, Viva Pianta, these names don't resonate with violence. Halo has the M rating label, but blood or "suggestive themes," are like, vanilla Grand Theft Auto. Man, ESRB is retarded.
lol I don't know what you've been reading about Halo but that game is very gross and violent. Guess you've never fought the Flood. Halo has a horror element to it, thanks to the Flood.

lol I don't know what you've been reading about Halo but that game is very gross and violent. Guess you've never fought the Flood. Halo has a horror element to it, thanks to the Flood.
I've played Halo before, but never actually seen blood as in, human red blood. Gore, maybe. Alien gore is not gross, ESRB.

I've played Halo before, but never actually seen blood as in, human red blood. Gore, maybe. Alien gore is not gross, ESRB.
There's plenty of blood in Halo even w/o the Flood. The Flood are parasitic organisms that take over a living organism and well, sorta turn them into zombies with multiple limbs and leaking blood and puss everywhere. The original game was perfectly fine, fighting aliens and stuff... like any other game... until the Flood came along. They are like a big reveal in almost every major Halo game. When they appear Halo becomes more like a horror type survival game because the Flood are endless and at that point you might as well just run through the entire level (especially if your playing on Legendary!!!)

tumblr_l8nkxgvaaO1qzi049.jpg

flood1.jpg

FROM THE FIRST HALO

HALO: ANNIVERSARY VERSION

Which reminds me I need to finish up Halo: Anniversary. lmao @ dude dying in the second video what a chump.

WiiU TVii
nintendo.wiiu.TVii.webp

- seems interesting.
- I thought there were more competitors in this arena.
- use the game console as way to make TVii social. (I keep expecting Google to do this). I really think that is what Apple's iTV is all about. iTunes for Video. You purchase your music from Apple and soon you'll purchase video content from them as well.

- seems interesting.
- I thought there were more competitors in this arena.
- use the game console as way to make TVii social. (I keep expecting Google to do this). I really think that is what Apple's iTV is all about. iTunes for Video. You purchase your music from Apple and soon you'll purchase video content from them as well.
There is. Both Xbox 360, and PS3 have similar services. Apple will also jump in that arena, too.

Nintendo Slashes Profit Outlook source: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203897404578075953200688198.html

The Wii U is set to make its debut on Nov. 18 in North America, before rolling out in Europe later in the month and on Dec. 8 in Japan. Nintendo said it aims to sell 5.5 million units by the end of March alongside a goal to sell 24 million units of software for the new console during the same period. Nintendo plans to offer the basic Wii U model for $299 in the U.S., while a version with additional memory will sell for $349.
"The Wii U is crucial. It's almost do or die."

That's a scary thought.
I am most interested in seeing how many Wii owners buy the new Wii U. I just don't think there is enough to lure current Wii owners. Especially because the kids all have ipods now too.

There's plenty of blood in Halo even w/o the Flood. The Flood are parasitic organisms that take over a living organism and well, sorta turn them into zombies with multiple limbs and leaking blood and puss everywhere. The original game was perfectly fine, fighting aliens and stuff... like any other game... until the Flood came along. They are like a big reveal in almost every major Halo game. When they appear Halo becomes more like a horror type survival game because the Flood are endless and at that point you might as well just run through the entire level (especially if your playing on Legendary!!!)
I had only played Halo and Halo 2 for a short amount of time, so I'm sorry if I sounded like a n00b. :p

Anyhow - I almost never see M-rated games from Microsoft, besides Halo, Gears of War (ahem, exclusivity and all), and whatnot. This is why I originally said "Microsoft has always been scared of M-rated games." So, Killer Instinct would be an all around surprise to everyone. Nevermind there are millions waiting for a new Killer Instinct title, nevermind there are millions who don't give a $#!^ if ports come flooding into XBLA. Just that it's not in Microsoft's nature to "market" a Mature rated game. Ever notice why they never, ever buy mature-rated companies? They had that chance with Midway and Mortal Kombat. They had that chance with 3D Realms and Duke Nukem.

Especially with Duke Nukem, you can easily put it on iphone/ipad which the new companies are doing.

Midway's portfolio alone is enough to make a Microsoft Smash Bros/Microsoft All Stars, or Xbox Vice Versa.

Re: Wii U's game pad (6 inch tablet screen with joysticks).
It's somewhat gimmicky: Much of the time, you can easily imagine playing with just a regular joystick. But in "ZombiU," the GamePad adds to the atmosphere, creating the panicky feeling of scrambling around in a backpack while another undead horde approaches.
That's not a good sign.

The Wii U's success will depend on what Nintendo and other developers do with that second screen. The early results are very promising.

The definition of the WiiU was: Wii + HD + game pad.
The only new part was the game pad. So The Wii U will live and die based on the game pad. A few games might be able to get the "second screen" to "work" (enhance gameplay) .... but IMO ... it's going to be a flop.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/revi...up-dual-screen-gaming-1.1043144#ixzz2Cb6TUPnn

The WiiU may have modest at best sales .... at least until Microsoft and Sony bring out their next-generation consoles (neither company has announced any plans yet).

I'll buy the WiiU if they release a Super Mario Galaxy 3 :)

I'll buy Wii U soon, I know a Zelda title is a given, I know a Metroid title is a given, I know F-Zero is also.

I don't really like Mario games all that much, but I was definitely interested in either SMGalaxy 1 & 2, I have also fallen in love with New SMB series. I've been playing that with family for some time now. It brings family together. :D

I can't see this selling, it's not got the impulse price tag of the original Wii, and they can't pull the stock limiting trick to try and sell to stupid consumers this time around. The vast majority of Wii's are gather dust, and those consumers will be much more wary this time around, more so with the much higher price tag.

It's not even like it's offering anything unique either. Graphically it's where the PS3 and Xbox were in 2005, and the PS3 offers a MUCH better feature-set when paired up with a Vita (offering the same controller display tech, but allowing you to take the games on the go with you, out of range of the base unit - something the Wii-U can't do).
Interesting comment about the WiiU.

Top Bottom