Why are posts restricted?

Jethro

Just copied in a review to see how things would look from a large post perspective and got the following error message

"Please enter a message with no more than 10000 characters."

Is there a reason posts are restricted? Would imagine 10k would be enough for 99.9% of posts, simply wondering about the limit.

Performance considerations mostly. Additionally, if you could put 1MB of text in a post, you could end up with a page that was # of posts * 1MB in size (for the HTML alone). :)

Performance considerations mostly. Additionally, if you could put 1MB of text in a post, you could end up with a page that was # of posts * 1MB in size (for the HTML alone). :)

Would it be possible to do though? Lately I'm having problem in vB because it takes too much time to process 500k chars (lots of html) and the database goes away :(

then you strongly recommend this limit? i'm wondering about this, it's something related with the amazing speed of this forum?

Yes, I would recommend keeping a limit, though the difference between 10,000 and 20,000 isn't a big deal.

It's a common feature of other forum software.

For reference, 1MB of text is about 1/3 of the length of War & Peace. You probably don't need that much. :)
[nonsense]
Darn! I was planning on sharing my soon to be best selling novel right here on the Xenforo community! Guess I'll have to settle with some of my short stories instead :D.
[/nonsense]
Always a great feature to have, IMO.

Top Bottom