Who are you? What do you do? Why do you love XF?

About you:

• Total voters

=MGN=RedEagle

Hi guys,

Thought I would get to know everyone. Love to know more about you guys and what brings you to XF.

I just love XF. I don't run an XF site right now but got XF as loved the script so much.

I'm Shaun, married, one daughter (9), and I live in the UK.

I work full-time in IT support and run my forums in my spare time (but I'm trying to flip that around as I'd like to run the forums full-time).

I love XF because ... it's so intuitive to use. (y)

I love XF, for me it was literally love at first sight 3 years ago.

For the first time for a long time I am running a forum, just for the fun of it, not being a resource provider.

That change has given me a very different perspective on the software, I see now how very enjoyable it is to use, although I can see it's limitations and minor flaws, they don't bother me, as I am sure we can work it out long term!

I'm Shaun, married, one daughter (9), and I live in the UK.

I work full-time in IT support and run my forums in my spare time (but I'm trying to flip that around as I'd like to run the forums full-time).

I love XF because ... it's so intuitive to use. (y)
All those forums in your sig yours?

Hi, I'm Dean, I have a daughter (1) and I live in the Uk :D

I don't have a full time job, I do freelance work online and run several semi-successful websites.

I love xF because it is easy as pie to style, install, upgrade, create addons for and well... everything about it. It's awesome.

All those forums in your sig yours?

Yeah, I sort of went a bit nuts buying licenses during the lawsuit and then set-up sites for them instead of having them sat idle.

With hindsight, I should have saved a few until I had actually managed to go full-time and had the time to dedicate to them ... :ROFLMAO:

I have been doing online community since the 90s; my first website was 1996, and I adore XF. A few quibbles but I think 1.2 will cover most of that.
All my XFs are not so much small as micro - very personal communities of under 50 members.

STATIC XF I even use it for one static site - no members just info pages, a slightly customised Contact page; one forum where I post threads as a kind of simple FAQ. The reason I chose to use XF in a nonstandard way was it gives me a comfortable, familiar editor. I can create and edit pages frontend. (It also matches its partner site in look and feel, which is the community it recruits to.) Have been told the design is appalling by experts on here but my clients tell me they love it so that's what matters.

ONLINE EDUCATION XF Running a small online school where the forum handles staff support, homework exchange, teaching materials. Intend to add payments, and a ticket system.
Articles due any minute via a custom RM to take over another addon which never got finished.

PERSONAL COMMUNITY XF A group of freethinkers interested in Celtic/ Goddess/ Freedom politics/ Earth issues - and a mutual support clan. We share writing a lot and photos/ artwork, so my custom RM is going to be important to take over another addon which never got finished. My design on www.housemorgain.co.uk/circle has divided opinions: WE love it, on here it's a love/hate reaction.

I'm a Matriarch with a much beloved wild and hairy Welshman who adores me; our late life adult son who works in the family education project with us (he's a member here too and was deeply insulted when someone here accused him of not existing as a real person - has become family folklore that one) .
As a Welsh family, we live in CasNewydd near Caerdydd in an enormous old Elizabethan manor house we have been slowly renovating as money permits - got it cheap as it was a wreck. 3ft walls create a wondrous haven.

Our home deities are seven Cats mainly Maines, Siberians, one Abyssinian cross. Large fierce loving ladies whose politics endlessly fascinate, and who I often much prefer to humans.My avatar is my babiest amazon.
Though very disillusioned with society and humanity since the global robber barons smashed community over the last 30 years, I like THIS community very much. I come here as much because community skills are as important to me as software --- no, more so. This is a good place.

Thanks for neat thread.

Yeah, I sort of went a bit nuts buying licenses during the lawsuit and then set-up sites for them instead of having them sat idle.

With hindsight, I should have saved a few until I had actually managed to go full-time and had the time to dedicate to them ... :ROFLMAO:
Sounds like me lol...

I see that they have actual members... did you market them?

I have been doing online community since the 90s; my first website was 1996, and I adore XF. A few quibbles but I think 1.2 will cover most of that.
All my XFs are not so much small as micro - very personal communities of under 50 members.

STATIC XF I even use it for one static site - no members just info pages, a slightly customised Contact page; one forum where I post threads as a kind of simple FAQ. The reason I chose to use XF in a nonstandard way was it gives me a comfortable, familiar editor. I can create and edit pages frontend. (It also matches its partner site in look and feel, which is the community it recruits to.) Have been told the design is appalling by experts on here but my clients tell me they love it so that's what matters.

ONLINE EDUCATION XF Running a small online school where the forum handles staff support, homework exchange, teaching materials. Intend to add payments, and a ticket system.
Articles due any minute via a custom RM to take over another addon which never got finished.

PERSONAL COMMUNITY XF A group of freethinkers interested in Celtic/ Goddess/ Freedom politics/ Earth issues - and a mutual support clan. We share writing a lot and photos/ artwork, so my custom RM is going to be important to take over another addon which never got finished. My design on www.housemorgain.co.uk/circle has divided opinions: WE love it, on here it's a love/hate reaction.

I'm a Matriarch with a much beloved wild and hairy Welshman who adores me; our late life adult son who works in the family education project with us (he's a member here too and was deeply insulted when someone here accused him of not existing as a real person - has become family folklore that one) .
As a Welsh family, we live in CasNewydd near Caerdydd in an enormous old Elizabethan manor house we have been slowly renovating as money permits - got it cheap as it was a wreck. 3ft walls create a wondrous haven.

Our home deities are seven Cats mainly Maines, Siberians, one Abyssinian cross. Large fierce loving ladies whose politics endlessly fascinate, and who I often much prefer to humans.My avatar is my babiest amazon.
Though very disillusioned with society and humanity since the global robber barons smashed community over the last 30 years, I like THIS community very much. I come here as much because community skills are as important to me as software --- no, more so. This is a good place.

Thanks for neat thread.
Wow, 1990, that's like the dinosaur age of computers.

I see that they have actual members... did you market them?

No, not yet. I've finished the building phase now and got everything on a fast, well-spec'd server, so I'm currently working on the SEO/marketing side of things - one site at a time - to really get them focused at their target markets; then it will be content filling and building a small core membership for each.

It's hard work, especially fitting it around a full-time job / family life / other commitments - but it also brings lots of smiles and is much more satisfying than my day job. :D

No, not yet. I've finished the building phase now and got everything on a fast, well-spec'd server, so I'm currently working on the SEO/marketing side of things - one site at a time - to really get them focused at their target markets; then it will be content filling and building a small core membership for each.

It's hard work, especially fitting it around a full-time job / family life / other commitments - but it also brings lots of smiles and is much more satisfying than my day job. :D

Wow, really. I never heard of a forum that gets any traction without marketing...

I don't run forums but rather niche social networks :).

IT university student (US) and create gaming-related websites in my spare time.

I loved xenforo for it's ease of use for both the staff and users. It's also pretty lightweight and does not require as much resources as some of the alternatives I've used in the past. Started with forums back in 2005 and web development in 2003.

Sig shows forums - main one started in 1995, having actually hung out online since 1986 (Compuserve and AOL). Newer one started a few months ago - just to see if I still have "it"....blogging about the starting and running of that one...to help others!

Child of the 60's......that is, grew up in the 60's, participated in the "revolution" and even lived for years in a commune! Both myself and MANY others from that commune ended up starting and running internet and other communities (the Well, for instance, one of the first only communities!). Turns out living with 1,000 people teaches something about inclusion......

As you can see by the subject of the main site, we went into renewable and sustainable energy starting in the 1970's.....and therefore the site reflecting much of my work life.

3 kids, one grandchild, married 40 years, live in New England (USA)......that's more than many want to know!

Here is one of my many flowers...taken today.
photo (19).webp

I'm Will, obviously. :D

I work as an IT Technician for a school district and run a site for a gaming community.

I love XF because it is simply amazing. :)

Jordi by name and a Geordie by birth.. 56 years young.

Work with special needs children nowadays, had my own PC shop years ago until everyone became a repair guy...

Been running forums for more years than I care to mention , a dinosaur was mentioned earlier in the thread well I am the dinosaur`s granda..lol.

Used loads of call signs over the years too TheBoss being one of them others include Samurai , ShogunLord & Enigma. Also used to host forums too but have given that up too nowadays. Love XF for its simplicity & efficiency , yes it could have more in built but all good things come to those that wait and stay the course. 2 things pop out to me that should be core elements , A: Portal/CMS , B:Inbuilt Payment Gateway in the RM... But I will bide my time..

Regards..

lol I just realized you said 90's not 90... I was thinking 1990?? Did you create the first forum? :eek:

First website (static) 1996.
First forum 2001 I used an online service at first all readymade but ad supported - that was an international academic seminar of scholars linked to my PhD work ... but universities v resistant to the idea .. most still are or else they debase it to a cheap costcutter.

2002-3 I struggled with e107. Gave up went to email lists.
VB 2005-when XF started. Brief go at IPB ugh and home again to XF.

Jordi by name and a Geordie by birth.. 56 years young.

Work with special needs children nowadays, had my own PC shop years ago until everyone became a repair guy...

Been running forums for more years than I care to mention , a dinosaur was mentioned earlier in the thread well I am the dinosaur`s granda..lol.

Used loads of call signs over the years too TheBoss being one of them others include Samurai , ShogunLord & Enigma. Also used to host forums too but have given that up too nowadays. Love XF for its simplicity & efficiency , yes it could have more in built but all good things come to those that wait and stay the course. 2 things pop out to me that should be core elements , A: Portal/CMS , B:Inbuilt Payment Gateway in the RM... But I will bide my time..

Regards..
I am hoping for the same things in XF soon. They will come I am sure.

Top Bottom