Which PHP IDE? / What do you use to code?

Would that be Eclipse Classic?
Yeah, I think so. There's a minimal link somewhere (I'll try and find it again later) that literally gives you the Eclipse core and nothing else, then you can just download PDT through that.

Hello friends,

I am a newbie. I have a site with vBulletin for some year but never code any plugin or style. All of them I bought or take free from others. I just bought a xenforo license and some add-ons but I am interested in customizing my site. I know that to work with source code I will need a code editor.

Please share which me which is the best code editor to work with, both free and paid? If necessary I may affort to buy one.

Thanks,

Personally, never liked Dreamweaver. It's nice for beginners I guess and maybe recent versions have gotten better.. but it used to produce some whacky code sometimes.

There are better tools for coding with PHP imo. Maybe it's alright for HTML.

Not sure if it was in this thread or in another one about a similar subject, but I've made it no secret that I absolutely despise Eclipse based IDEs.

A few months ago I got a Mac, and despite still being happy with nuSphere PhpEd it was time for a change as I wanted to use the same IDE whether I was on Mac or Windows and PhpEd is native to Windows (it's not Java based).

So I did my usual trick of trying everything ranging from the free to the premium none of them were for me. Specifically Eclipse PDT, Zend Studio and Aptana were my main gripes. Predictably I had the same or similar issues in all of them, which is to be expected being the same underlying product.

My main issue is relating to the overall performance of these applications. I won't go into details but it's the same kind of thing I've had before. There's probably various settings and optimisations available but I'm a firm believer in the fact that things should just work.

Speaking of which, that brings me on nicely to the IDE that won my heart and I am actually spending my money on:

http://www.jetbrains.com/phpstorm/

I think it's been suggested in here a few times, but I overlooked it. Now, I think it's fantastic.

I now get the same development experience whether I'm on PC or Mac and it has some killer features and it's just a pleasure to use. I actually now do all of my HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP and MySQL stuff entirely in PhpStorm.

So, highly recommended if you're bored of your current IDE :)

Speaking of which, that brings me on nicely to the IDE that won my heart and I am actually spending my money on:

I think it's been suggested in here a few times, but I overlooked it. Now, I think it's fantastic.

I now get the same development experience whether I'm on PC or Mac and it has some killer features and it's just a pleasure to use. I actually now do all of my HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP and MySQL stuff entirely in PhpStorm.

Due to ongoing frustration with my local development environment, I decided to swap to running an off-site Dev server on a VPS using an almost exact mirror of my main production environment. The idea being that source files reside on my local machine and are automatically sync'd (via SFTP) whenever they are saved up to the server where the web server and database reside.

I simply found it too difficult to set this up using Zend Studio, it never seemed to do what I wanted. I had even been using an old copy of Dreamweaver for managing configuration files and such on remote production servers, since again, I found it too difficult to manage this using Zend Studio.

After reading a few threads and reviews, I decided to try PhpStorm instead.

I was sceptical at first - lacks the polish of the Zend Studio interface, but after trying it for a while, I found it was able to do everything I asked of it and have been gradually been moving all of my development and management of remote files across to PhpStorm. Working with remote files on a VPS has been a breeze to set up - I'm very happy with my remote development server now.

I'm sure if I was an Eclipse power user, I could get more out of Zend Studio, but I've never found it an intuitive platform to use - many of the features are hidden behind unintuitive icons, arcane jargon or overly complex wizards, which never really make any sense. It was great at the core stuff - code completion, refactoring, etc ... but anything beyond this was simply too complicated.

I'm loving PhpStorm and I don't think I've fired up Zend Studio or Dreamweaver in weeks now. Won't be long and I'll feel confident about actually uninstalling those other applications!

I too have joined the legions of PhpStorm users. I still love Sublime Text, but I have no love for the author. The way he's handled Sublime Text 2 (no updates for 6+ months and then just dropping everything for ST3 and charging for access to the full version) has made me look elsewhere. While PhpStorm is not quite so fast to start, I find it does everything that I need it to do out of the box without installing extra plugins. Add to that academic license and a product from the same company with a similar interface for Python development and it ticks all the boxes.

Not sure if it was in this thread or in another one about a similar subject, but I've made it no secret that I absolutely despise Eclipse based IDEs.

A few months ago I got a Mac, and despite still being happy with nuSphere PhpEd it was time for a change as I wanted to use the same IDE whether I was on Mac or Windows and PhpEd is native to Windows (it's not Java based).

So I did my usual trick of trying everything ranging from the free to the premium none of them were for me. Specifically Eclipse PDT, Zend Studio and Aptana were my main gripes. Predictably I had the same or similar issues in all of them, which is to be expected being the same underlying product.

My main issue is relating to the overall performance of these applications. I won't go into details but it's the same kind of thing I've had before. There's probably various settings and optimisations available but I'm a firm believer in the fact that things should just work.

Sounds very interesting, definitively giving them a try. One question, do you know if you can use your license over different OSes? I mean, my desktop has Linux and Windows, and my laptop is a mac and I like to have Eclipse in all of them.

XenStorm(y)

I've spent the last months with learning JAVA and creating something similar to magicento (must have tool for magento developers)

ATM i have only moved some tasks to phpstorm (e.g. create template,edit template, create phrase, edit phrase, create route prefix) to not have to leave the IDE and it also support autocomplete for proxy classes

By end of 2013 i want to have =>
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Anybody interested in this project?
I'm in talk with the magicento coder, because i want to hire him, to code this for me or at least help me with the coding (it would be faster and have a higher quality)

Sounds very interesting, definitively giving them a try. One question, do you know if you can use your license over different OSes? I mean, my desktop has Linux and Windows, and my laptop is a mac and I like to have Eclipse in all of them.
Sorry I completely missed this somehow.

Yeah one license is entirely multi platform.

What are the main advantages of this project?
Saving time?

If you're an freelancer like me, who's coding 24/7 xenforo addons, it's a HUUUUUUUUGEEEEEEE benefit, if you automate the unnecessary work.

Even if you save "only":D 5 minutes per addon, it can result in several hours per week!

1. look up for what you need to extend
  2. create the proxy class and method (open browser and acp, copy the method signature)
  3. create listener
  4. go into your acp, register the listener
vs
2 clicks in the IDE
xenstorm2.webp

I know, this doesn't take long, but if you don't have to do this all the time=> it saves you time.

PHP:
// no typehint providen, let's waste time with opening user datawriter and let's search for the method I need)
$userDw = XenForo_DataWriter::create('XenForo_DataWriter_User');

// vs

** @var XenForo_DataWriter_User $userDw */
  $userDw = XenForo_DataWriter::create('XenForo_DataWriter_User');
vs magic:)
dwauto.webp

saves time and LOC (=> less code to review)
Even the "getXXXModel"s are history now.
They were used because it's easier and faster...

3. You want to edit the template used in the controller?
No problem, open the controller and use
edit template.webp
which is available, if you're in the responseView line

TBC (i've created too much already and sooo many ideas and tasks which could be automated but i hadn't time or the knowledge to create it)
Just take a look at http://magicento.com/

Last edited:
If it helps me saving time I would pay for it :) Currently I use eclipse and I don't write so much different addons. Instead I am still in the learning process. I wake up the next day and try to optimize my code. It's amazing, one addon first added 0.13 seconds for every page load. I changed the whole procedure and put it from the controller down to the model and got 0.08 seconds for some pages and 0.11 seconds for some other. After a lot ot tweaking and knowing how PHP handles arrays and recursions, it adds just 0.014 seconds to pages.

So maybe the time saving argument is good for very advanced developers, and very beginners: they don't have to worry about typos and they get all the basic coding "receipt" mostly done for them.

Top Bottom