1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 where is moderator ban permission?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by dethfire, Sep 13, 2014.

1. dethfire

dethfire Well-Known Member

All I can see is "Ban users from replying to a thread". I have mods who can't seem to ban a user even though they have max permissions from what I can see. Where is the normal ban user permission?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Banning is an administrator function.

You can however set up a warning action which will ban members.

3. dethfire

hmmm not for my community. I would think other big dynamic boards would agree. When I tested the permissions for my moderator, I was shown the ban option in the member card. Is that a bug?

I'll look into this, but I fear it just bogs down my moderators work flow. We ban lots of members.

4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You're an administrator.

5. dethfire

How am I supposed to test the permissions of another member if I'm shown what I can do? I don't know what is my permission and what his my member's.

6. Karelke

Karelke Active Member

Thread reply bans can be used by moderators. The other ban stuff that @Brogan is talking about (like banning users) can only be used by administrators.

7. dethfire

ok, i'll have to have an addon created, thanks

8. Karelke

Karelke Active Member

What kind of bans do your moderators need? If it's mainly spam, moderators can ban a spam account via the Spam Cleaner (that's an user group permission).

9. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Not at all. You can make moderators administrators, but only allow them to ban members via permissions.

10. dethfire

We attract a lot of cranks so I need my mods to have full out ban permission.

11. dethfire

Then won't I have 30 admins listed? Kinda confusing :)

12. Karelke

Karelke Active Member

I see. Well, you could make your moderators administrator and give them limited admin access.

13. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Kind of, but you could make a note on a piece of scratch paper or document saying which admins have all permissions. Then you'll know that the rest are only moderators who are administrators with banning permissions only.

14. TJA

TJA Well-Known Member

Why don't you just create a new warning, call it lets say Permanent Ban, set the warning points to 100, then create a new warning action and choose 100 points as your threshold, when your moderators want to ban someone all they need to do then is click 'Warning' and select the 'Permanent Ban' warning action and this will then Ban a user, much simpler and cheaper than having someone create you an addon for it.

jeffwidman likes this.
  15. dethfire

That works if you don't want to temp ban someone for a custom amount of time. Which we use quite a lot.

16. TJA

TJA Well-Known Member

You can still setup a points threshold for a temp ban, it's pretty versatile, I've got different point thresholds that result in the various temp bans from 24hr, 48hr, week, month and then a permanent ban.

You have the option for mods to award their own points.

jeffwidman and thedude like this.
  17. dethfire

Yeah but doesn't that then take a global effect? I don't want all my members to get 4 chances before they are perma banned. Just in certain cases. This all would just be easier if they added a simple ban permission for mods :)

Also it looks like IP user search is only for admins too. Can you tell I'm coming over from vb? :D If I give them admin access then I need to give them user access for ip search, but then that gives them access to a whole host of other things I don't want them to have.

18. teletubbi

teletubbi Active Member

Google for easyban.
    I think i saw an addon like this. But not sure if it work with 1.4

dethfire likes this.
  19. dethfire

looks like it only works for up to 1.2

20. TJA

TJA Well-Known Member

That's the results of when they reach certain points thresholds on my site, you set yours to what you want, read this and watch the video, once you've set things up it's straight forward

https://xenforo.com/help/warnings/

You can give them admin access by going to Users > Administrators and check the boxes for what you want to give them access to.

Amaury likes this.