XF 2.0 Node Moderator permissions

Brettflan

When adding a Moderator to a specific node, is there some way I'm missing to automatically assign a basic set of moderation capabilities (delete/edit/move all posts/topics within that node)? The only way I can find is using the "Profile post moderator permissions" at the bottom, where I'd need to manually check the boxes for the specific permissions for every single combination of moderator and node.
At the very least I see that the moderator gets those permissions on all children of the node they're assigned to. That should slightly simplify matters.

We have dozens (possibly hundreds) of minor moderators given lesser control of their own specific boards, as well as different language sections which have their own more powerful moderators, and more general moderators of other sections. This is a migration of a very large 7.5m post forum from SMF software.

So the problem I'm foreseeing is this: at some point, we may need to revise the specific permissions granted to sets of these moderators, like allowing/disallowing hard-deletion of threads/posts, letting them ban users from replying to posts, or whatever. It's my understanding in this case that I will need to go through every moderator-node combination individually and change these permissions for every single one? Is there really no way to assign a moderator permission set to a moderator that applies only within the node(s) they're moderator of, rather than needing to set them individually every time?

I found this thread which seems to imply as much, though I'm hoping it's no longer correct:
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/moderator-permissions-scalability.59107/
If it is, this does seem like a major oversight in the permission model used by XenForo compared to other forum software.

Hi: author of the thread to which you refer, here.

Were aren't yet migrated to 2.0 so this isn't an authoritative answer, but as the suggestion hasn't been marked closed, I think it's a fair bet it remains as it was, and you are absolutely right - it's a major oversight as regards big boards with large teams.

Assuming it is still the same, may I suggest that, if you wish to do so, please add your weight to this suggestion change request by "liking" the first post in my thread?

Hmm, it's unfortunate that you haven't found any better solution so far.

I should also clarify that XenForo's permission system and staff system otherwise seem quite sufficient, with no other glaring flaws, beyond this one particular thing. That does however serve to make it even more glaring of an omission in comparison to how well designed the permission system otherwise is.

Assuming it is still the same, may I suggest that, if you wish to do so, please add your weight to this suggestion change request by "liking" the first post in my thread?
Indeed, done.

Top Bottom