Where is logout?

Morgain

Where is the logout link used to be on the navbar top right?

I know it's there on the username dropdown but this is going to annoy people who cant figure that out - many dont like dropdowns and avoid them.

There you go
Where is the logout link...
I know it's there on the username dropdown ...

Maybe it could go right at the top with the admin login
I get that it discourages from logging out ;) and that it frees up the navbar which shouldnt have single link tabs, but Logout still needs to be top level one click accessible.
So I think far top right is a good compromise - a small effort to reach it, not constantly under your eye, but no complaint it's not "on view."

It doesn't "need" to be at all.

If you want it, I'm sure you'll be able to edit the template to pop it back.

Most websites don't display a login button any more and it's much more relevant in the account drop down because that's where other account related functions are.

Matter of opinion. Depends what your constituency is like. For a nerds forum or fashion geeky, no not needed. For a social forum for ordinaries, extending to the many who struggle with coping with forums, it is.
This is what really does me in with you LOL I have run forums for "ordinaries" as you term them and I've yet to find a bunch who match the behaviour that you persistently put upon them. How hard is it really to click your name and see the Logout button? :)

This is what really does me in with you LOL I have run forums for "ordinaries" as you term them and I've yet to find a bunch who match the behaviour that you persistently put upon them. How hard is it really to click your name and see the Logout button? :)
We both have a lot of experience Azhria. I have no doubt you were back there with me in the 90s when forums first started. I've always noticed your maturity of experience. So there's no need for any competition about it.

How hard is it really to click your name and see the Logout button? :)
Not hard at all - IF you already know that's where to look.
But the whole tradition of intuitive design, and ease of use culture, is not to force the user to go looking for basic functions.

Well, for this one, I think that moving the Log Out inside the menu is the correct thing.
Not saying that FB or G+ have the final word, but they definitely mark a tendency

Let's look at Facebook. No Logout on the bar, but rather, hidden

Screen Shot 2013-06-03 at 3.53.27 AM.webp
Screen Shot 2013-06-03 at 3.53.58 AM.webp

And what about G+? Same thing, you need to click on your avatar to display the LogOut options

Screen Shot 2013-06-03 at 3.56.06 AM.webp

Screen Shot 2013-06-03 at 3.56.21 AM.webp

.... Gmail is the same thing ...

We both have a lot of experience Azhria. I have no doubt you were back there with me in the 90s when forums first started. I've always noticed your maturity of experience. So there's no need for any competition about it.

What competition?

I think removing the logout button from the top menu is the right thing to do, in this day and age where screen real-estate is at a premium, but I can also see how some users may find it annoying and frustrating that it's no longer where it used to be and they would expect it to be. Granted, most of us probably don't even use the button most of the time. The solution for those who have users who are let's say "hard to adapt" is probably to have at least one style that has the log out button in the familiar location.

Could have been to make more space for responsive and eliminate unneeded stuff in the main navbar. I could be wrong though.

edit: Ninja'd by @King Kovifor

Top Bottom