1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where is logout?

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by Morgain, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Morgain

Morgain Well-Known Member

Where is the logout link used to be on the navbar top right?

I know it's there on the username dropdown but this is going to annoy people who cant figure that out - many dont like dropdowns and avoid them.

2. 3rd AnGle

3rd AnGle Well-Known Member

inside your account info... bottom-right corner sorry worng answer :)

3. Rigel Kentaurus

Rigel Kentaurus Well-Known Member

There you go

Screen Shot 2013-06-03 at 3.21.36 AM.png

Adam Howard likes this.
  4. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

It's just been removed from the navbar, but still available in the user menu. :)

*edit Ninja'd by @Rigel Kentaurus

5. Morgain

Maybe it could go right at the top with the admin login
    I get that it discourages from logging out ;) and that it frees up the navbar which shouldnt have single link tabs, but Logout still needs to be top level one click accessible.
    So I think far top right is a good compromise - a small effort to reach it, not constantly under your eye, but no complaint it's not "on view."

6. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

It doesn't "need" to be at all.

If you want it, I'm sure you'll be able to edit the template to pop it back.

Most websites don't display a login button any more and it's much more relevant in the account drop down because that's where other account related functions are.

D.O.A. and Lisa like this.
  7. Morgain

Matter of opinion. Depends what your constituency is like. For a nerds forum or fashion geeky, no not needed. For a social forum for ordinaries, extending to the many who struggle with coping with forums, it is.

Obviously.

8. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

This is what really does me in with you LOL I have run forums for "ordinaries" as you term them and I've yet to find a bunch who match the behaviour that you persistently put upon them. How hard is it really to click your name and see the Logout button? :)

9. Morgain

We both have a lot of experience Azhria. I have no doubt you were back there with me in the 90s when forums first started. I've always noticed your maturity of experience. So there's no need for any competition about it.

Not hard at all - IF you already know that's where to look.
    But the whole tradition of intuitive design, and ease of use culture, is not to force the user to go looking for basic functions.

10. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

You are free to re-add it if you wish. I don't believe it's a commonly used link and it's more likely to be accidentally clicked than legitimately clicked.

If Facebook is happy to hide it in a menu...

Amaury, jmurrayhead, Martok and 8 others like this.
  11. Rigel Kentaurus

Rigel Kentaurus Well-Known Member

Well, for this one, I think that moving the Log Out inside the menu is the correct thing.
    Not saying that FB or G+ have the final word, but they definitely mark a tendency

Let's look at Facebook. No Logout on the bar, but rather, hidden

Screen Shot 2013-06-03 at 3.53.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-03 at 3.53.58 AM.png

And what about G+? Same thing, you need to click on your avatar to display the LogOut options

Screen Shot 2013-06-03 at 3.56.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-06-03 at 3.56.21 AM.png

.... Gmail is the same thing ...

Adam Howard likes this.
  12. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

What competition?

Adam Howard likes this.
  13. karll

karll Well-Known Member

I think removing the logout button from the top menu is the right thing to do, in this day and age where screen real-estate is at a premium, but I can also see how some users may find it annoying and frustrating that it's no longer where it used to be and they would expect it to be. Granted, most of us probably don't even use the button most of the time. The solution for those who have users who are let's say "hard to adapt" is probably to have at least one style that has the log out button in the familiar location.

14. Matthew Hawley

Matthew Hawley Well-Known Member

I know the logout button is in the visitor tab drop down, but why did it get taken off from the navigation in 1.2?

15. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Frees up real estate + not a super common functionality.

jmurrayhead and Adam Howard like this.
  16. Matthew Hawley

Matthew Hawley Well-Known Member

?

17. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

Could have been to make more space for responsive and eliminate unneeded stuff in the main navbar. I could be wrong though.

edit: Ninja'd by @King Kovifor

18. Pereira

Pereira Well-Known Member

I've never used it and plus it was easier to mistakenly hit when it wasn't wanted.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
    Adam Howard likes this.
  19. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

20. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It still required confirmation so wasn't that easy to accidentally log out.

@King Kovifor has given the other reasons why it was removed though.

Pereira, Jeremy and Shelley like this.