1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 When to import? Building up forum

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by JanHoos, Aug 17, 2016.

1. JanHoos

JanHoos Member

Hello everyone,

I've read this guide: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/importing-guidelines.25325/ and I'm wondering about the retaining content ID's.

Currently, my live forum is running Vanilla and behind the scenes I'm building up my Xenforo forum. Adding all the trophies I have on Vanilla, making sure everything looks awesome, adding some pages and some add-ons. The works!

I've used the import function to take a "snapshot" of the live forum and work of that. In the meantime the live forum is still being used. Is it safe to import a final version once I'm ready to switch over? There will be problems with the content ID's I imagine?
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You can't do a top-up import - you will have to wipe and import again to get the most up to date content.

The guide you linked to explains how to do it.
  3. JanHoos

JanHoos Member

@Brogan Allright, thats clear. How far can I go with all the other stuff? Can I build up the pages, add trophies, add-ons, etc. and load in the forums and reply's as soon as I'm done with the rest? Or will that mess up the import as well?

And wiping, all I have to do than is wipe the category's and forums I imagine?
  4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You can add trophies, install add-ons, configure styles, etc. but you can't add content such as categories, forums, members, threads, etc.

The guide explains in detail how to do it.
  5. JanHoos

JanHoos Member

Excellent! Thanks for the answer ^_^