What's New Digest

What's New Digest 5.0.6

No permission to download
No, don't adjust the default frequency before you send - just make sure the default is something other than "none" (otherwise nobody will get it), and then run the daily, weekly and monthly cron tasks.

If you change the default frequency each time, then everyone will get the digest emails 3 times.

If your preference is set to none, then you won't get the email - that's exactly what the setting is designed to do.

If you want to test the email for yourself, use the test facility in the Admin CP Tools menu instead.

You might want to install my Monolog addon so you can see exactly who is getting sent what.
Oh ok, I get it now. So those who have changed their preference to None will not get it no matter what?

Oh ok, I get it now. So those who have changed their preference to None will not get it no matter what?

Correct.

And if you set the default frequency to none, nobody will get it unless they explicitly change their preference to opt-in.

Correct.

And if you set the default frequency to none, nobody will get it unless they explicitly change their preference to opt-in.
Oh right. I changed it to none like a few months after I installed the add-on. Which means those who haven't changed their preference to opt-in, after changing, will not get it?

This add-on looks amazing as-is, I'll be trying it out very soon!

No - the addon currently only does new and updated threads.

I have no immediate plans to add media gallery support - but it is something I might revisit in the future.
I would also love to see the inclusion of galleries. :)

Many thank @Sim for this addon.
Could I request please that you include the prefix in the thread title text?
It’s important as otherwise the thread context will be lost. For example we have classified threads with a For Sale, For Trade or Wanted prefix. Without the prefix, the nature of the thread is lost.
Thanks

The Activity summary emails are similar - but serve a slightly different purpose.

The key difference is in when they are sent.

What's New Digest

Emails are sent daily, weekly or monthly (or not at all) - depending on the preference of the user.

This is intended to maintain frequent interaction with the community and is especially useful for low volume sites where you want to keep prompting members to contribute regularly.

The original design for this addon was based on requirements of one of my clients who runs a small private discussion forum with less than 100 members - we send out a daily summary email to members.

This is a user-driven system where the user can choose how frequently they receive emails.

Customisation of the emails sent is limited - it only sends a list of new and a list of updated threads based on criteria set by the admin and respecting user permissions.

XenForo Activity Summary

Emails are sent based on inactivity. They aren't sent until a user has reached the minimum inactivity threshold and then are sent regularly based on admin preference - but only while the user is inactive.

This is intended to re-engage with members who haven't visited in some time.

This is an admin-driven system where users don't get to choose how frequently emails are sent (but of course, they can turn them off).

There is a lot more flexibility in what types of content are included and it would be extensible to include other types of content as well.

Which should I use?

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve.

You could use both - since they do serve a different purpose, but once a user becomes "inactive" according to the Activity Summary system, then they will potentially receive both emails, which might not be ideal - but it also might work well to re-engage the user.

I do expect that a lot of users will find that the built-in XenForo Activity summary does everything they need and they will no longer use this What's New Digest addon.

Hi,

do you plan to add a batch size option for this addon? Or a throtteling?

Hi,

do you plan to add a batch size option for this addon? Or a throtteling?

No - as previously mentioned, I believe these functions should be handled at the email transport level - since they should apply to all outbound emails, not just those from a single addon.

No - as previously mentioned, I believe these functions should be handled at the email transport level - since they should apply to all outbound emails, not just those from a single addon.

I understand this, but there is no addon for this available and I doubt that this will change over the next 12 months.
It is better to have a compromise which might be already a "good enough" solution for 90% of the users ;)

With any kind of throtteling, this would be the best solution out there if you want to control what and when something is sent out.

The activity summary build into XF seems for me in this regard inferior, since I can customize the settings in your addon better (daily, weekly, monthly etc.). At least it looks like this to me at the moment.

Wherevere you look if t is dealing with sending out emails, the most wanted feature is always the ability to throttle emails. No matter which "email-sending addon" you look at.

If I do build such functionality, it would be as part of a paid upgrade to the addon - not part of the free addon.

This would be a great idea. If you make it affordable (compared to the alternative email addons), this would be a homerun.

The most important option in that additional addon would be the possibility for the admin to enter his own numbers in a field for sending emails out per day and/or hour and timesframes like "every 10 minutes" or "every 20 minutes". Make it as flexible as possible so the admin can adjust it to his needs and the restrictions of his webhoster.

Please consider also huge bulk discounts for volume buyers :eek:

Do you have a timeframe in mind?

:cry:

I know users are always impatient. But I am searching for this since a couple of years already.

Is there anything we can do to speed things up and to have that payed addon as a kind of blackfriday surprise or a christmas present? :LOL:

:cry:

I know users are always impatient. But I am searching for this since a couple of years already.

Is there anything we can do to speed things up and to have that payed addon as a kind of blackfriday surprise or a christmas present? :LOL:

Sure thing - I charge by the hour for custom development work ... but I charge at corporate rates, so you probably can't afford me.

Sure thing - I charge by the hour for custom development work ... but I charge at corporate rates, so you probably can't afford me.

no, probably not... 💔

I guess fund💲ng is not allowed anymore, right? Because if we would find 10 people....

another point on my "wishlist" for future versions:

Make it possible that the admin can choose different subforums for the content of the whats new digest.

I have for example in some communities subforums, which are extremely active (like 100 postings per day) and in other subforum of the same community only i.e. 3 posting a day.

Of course I want to show in the whats new digest the full range of my community, not only one extreme active subforum of the forum. So I need a way to make sure that all different kind of forums are represented in the email by typing the subforum number in a field, which shall be represented mandatorey (if new content was posted there).

Can I create a build query for members that everyone receives weekly digest

I don't understand what you are asking?

You want a list of people who will receive the weekly digest? Look in the tools menu in the Admin UI ("Test What's New Digest") - it will show you a list of users who will receive each type of email (limited to 200 users for display purposes).

You want to set the weekly digest as the default for all users who have not yet set a preference? Go to the What's New Digest options and set the Default Frequency to "Weekly".

Top Bottom