What's New Digest

What's New Digest 5.0.6

No permission to download
No need.

Create a Widget to sit at the top of your sidebars.

HTML:
<div class="block block--digest">
    <div class="block-container">
        <h3 class="block-minorHeader">Weekly Digest</h3>
        <div class="block-body block-row">         
<table border=1 width=100%>
<tr>
    <td><center><b>Weekly Digest<br /><a href="https://www.YOURSITE.com/index.php?weeklydigest/">Subscribe/Unsubscribe</a></b></center></td>
</tr>
</table>          
        </div>
    </div>
</div>

Customize as you prefer.

No need.

Create a Widget to sit at the top of your sidebars.

HTML:
<div class="block block--digest">
    <div class="block-container">
        <h3 class="block-minorHeader">Weekly Digest</h3>
        <div class="block-body block-row">        
<table border=1 width=100%>
<tr>
    <td><center><b>Weekly Digest<br /><a href="https://www.YOURSITE.com/index.php?weeklydigest/">Subscribe/Unsubscribe</a></b></center></td>
</tr>
</table>         
        </div>
    </div>
</div>

Customize as you prefer.

I'm having a problem with the URL. How did you come up with that please.

Oh that's for AndyB's version. For this one it may well be different. You should be able to check under user account settings for the correct URL for this addon - wherever it is that the option to receive the newsletter is set.

After updating my installation to version 4.1.2 it did not seem to run this week?

I also do not see any errors at all in my ACP.

Oh that's for AndyB's version. For this one it may well be different. You should be able to check under user account settings for the correct URL for this addon - wherever it is that the option to receive the newsletter is set.

Not sure there is a URL that will work since the digest selection is within user preferences. AndyB's version appears to be a separate page(?).

Yes that's correct. It's a separate entry in the Account menu specifically for the Weekly Digest setting. That's just the way @AndyB set it up.

weekly digest.png
But it doesn't really matter where it is. The point of the widget is to make it easy for the member to subscribe or unsubscribe without having to hunt for where to do that.

How can you change the time and day the mail goes out? right now mine goes out every sunday at 7:50pm

See: https://xenforo.com/community/threa...-of-fields-in-this-item-may-be-edited.140761/

The only way to do this right now is to disable the existing cron tasks and create your own at the time you want them to run - just copy the settings from the existing cron and choose your own run time. Make sure you disable the existing cron or you'll get emails sent twice a day/week.

There are two cron tasks - one for sending daily emails and one for weekly. You'll need to recreate both.

Don't forget that cron task times are set in UTC time, not local server time.

EDIT: I added a FAQ entry with detailed instructions: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/whats-new-digest.6596/field?field=faq

Last edited:
I hope/guess there is something like a batch-management?
Because i get 500er after some time, while trying to send mails to all users in a larger forum.

Emails are generated by a cron task and sent using the XenForo mail queue. So unless you've disabled the mail queue in config.php, you should be fine.

I guess if you have enough users who qualify to receive the digest email, the cron task could have difficulty creating all those mail queue entries - but I don't know what the limitations are there. It would be very much dependent on your server and database configuration as to how long it might take to create them all.

Hi @Sim,

any way to show the checkbox to subscribe to newsletters on the register form?

Or at least to honour this:

Q) Does this honour the "Receive news and updates from us by email" mailing list checkbox in user preferences?

A) as of v4.0.0a (the first public release), no - the email digest emails are considered separate to the newsletter emails. I might add a configuration setting which allows you to over-ride that behaviour and have "Receive news and updates from us by email" stop email digests as well when unchecked.

Thank you.

Hi,

will this be stable to work on 2.2 ? i like this add-on and would like to use it but worried if i upload it might break something?

Hi,

will this be stable to work on 2.2 ? i like this add-on and would like to use it but worried if i upload it might break something?

I've been working through my addons and testing them on 2.2 - I haven't got to this one yet. I will post an update once I've tested it.

Sim updated What's New Digest with a new update entry:

v5.0.0 major update

Major new release - completely rewritten for compatibility with both XF 2.1 and 2.2
  • bugfix: admin edit fields weren't appearing in the correct place
  • bugfix: admin edits weren't being saved
  • update: now uses a job to find users and queue emails
  • update: list unsubscribe header now gets added to outbound email
  • update: in test mode the prefix [Test] is added to the subject line
  • update: better support for processing user...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Top Bottom