What's New Digest

What's New Digest 5.0.6

No permission to download
What does everyone think of this? Does weekly digest annoy members? How have your members got on with it? Would love some feedback!

Users can always disable the digest if they don't want to receive it.

Alternatively - what's not shown on the overview page is that you also have the option of setting the default frequency to "None" to make it completely opt-in. With the default on none, users will need to enable the weekly digest option themselves in their preferences.

1578776245065.webp

Just a suggestion I think that would be good, is to show a list of users who are subscribed to the mailing list/email digest in the admin cp. Would be helpful to know which users are interested especially for when it's completely opt-in.

Reactions: Sim
Users can always disable the digest if they don't want to receive it.

Alternatively - what's not shown on the overview page is that you also have the option of setting the default frequency to "None" to make it completely opt-in. With the default on none, users will need to enable the weekly digest option themselves in their preferences.

View attachment 216463

Ooh this flew beneath my radar.
Killer feature is for admin to specify send time. Bbcode support, optional images embed? 😉

Sim updated What's New Digest with a new update entry:

v4.0.3 bugfix

Updates:

v4.0.1
  • ignore users who don't have an email address
  • mail template tweaks
v4.0.2
  • remove old class extensions that shouldn't be there
v4.0.3
  • bugfix: we weren't setting $total in the controller even though we passed it in the template parameters, we don't actually need it for display_totals and php 7.3 now errors when we pass an unset variable to compact(), so removing it

Read the rest of this update entry...

Hi,

some questions/problems:

1. Some phrase are not available there to be translated.

• {period} (-> this could be both: weekly and daily, so I can not hardcode it)
  • New Threads
  • Updated Threads

2. Will this weekly/daily digest sent out to banned users or users without valid email address or those, who deactivated emails from admin before I installed this addon?

3. Any plans to implement advertising into this template?

1. Some phrase are not available there to be translated.

• {period} (-> this could be both: weekly and daily, so I can not hardcode it)
  • New Threads
  • Updated Threads
I'll look into the phrases and see what needs updating.

2. Will this weekly/daily digest sent out to banned users or users without valid email address or those, who deactivated emails from admin before I installed this addon?

The finder query uses the "isValidUser" filter, which excludes banned users and users who do not have a "valid" user_state.

It also includes only recently active users, which means only users who have logged in within the last 180 days will be included.

I do not include the "Receive news and update emails" (aka "receive admin emails") option in the check - the intention being that you can choose whether to have the digest emails opt-in or opt-out independently from that setting. I guess I could add an optional setting whether to honour that option.

3. Any plans to implement advertising into this template?

No - not in this free version of the addon.

You can do a template modification to insert your own content into the mail template.

It also includes only recently active users, which means only users who have logged in within the last 180 days will be included.

Is there a possibility to lift this restriction? I need the option to send this weekly digest regularly to all users, no matter when they last showed up in the forum.

I use this as a tool to get "sleepers" back. That restriction makes it impossible to contact these sleepers.

Is there a possibility to lift this restriction? I need the option to send this weekly digest regularly to all users, no matter when they last showed up in the forum.

I use this as a tool to get "sleepers" back. That restriction makes it impossible to contact these sleepers.

I could make it an option to bypass the active users restriction, but it was done this way deliberately.

Sending bulk email to inactive users is likely to harm your mail sending reputation - you'll get a much higher rate of bounced email messages and spam complaints, which could stop your emails being received by genuine engaged users.

Email sending best practice is to not send bulk email to people who have not engaged with a site in more than 6 months - which is why XenForo's "active user" function checks that users have accessed the site in the last 180 days.

Sending bulk email to inactive users is likely to harm your mail sending reputation - you'll get a much higher rate of bounced email messages and spam complaints, which could stop your emails being received by genuine engaged users.

I am aware of that risk. But the positive side of this is that if you start with a "clean" list, you get always all bounced email addresses right off your list in the week in which they become invalid. Thanks to this, it will be always only a few each time - if at all.

Sometimes this helps even more, because old users get a chance to change their registered email address (which they forgot already that they used it in that forum), because i.e. they know in 2 months they will not use that one anymore because of job changes etc.

In time sof corona this is very important. I am sure many, many, many email addresses will be suddenly not valid anymore. Most people use office email address in the forums.

So this actually helps to have always a clean digest with no wrong emails and always up to date.

That will increase reputation compared to the usual "send every 6 months and get tons of bounces all at the same time".

Sim updated What's New Digest with a new update entry:

v4.1.0 update

New features:
  • added an admin interface to edit user preference
  • number of threads to send is now configurable
  • number of emails to send in test mode is now configurable to avoid flooding
  • option to send digest emails to all users, not just recently active users
  • option to exclude discouraged users from receiving digest emails
Bug fixes:
  • fixed font awesome icon
  • fixed some hard-coded strings which should have been phrases

Read the rest of this update entry...

Hey Sim great Addon!!!
Why 10 new threads only? Is it possible to change this value?
Thank you! 🙏

@giorgino - FYI v4.1.0 update now allows the admin to choose how many threads to display.

1588229652955.webp

A thread limit of 10 will include up to 10 new threads plus up to 10 updated thread (maximum 20 total).

I disable sending mails to users last week (check test option to send only to admin/my self) and one hour ago it send more than 800 mails to me.
Where is bug?

It seems that cron for weekly digest run, and send all mails that users would be reciving, send to e-mail for testing addon.
Isn't that what it's supposed to do? I'm not seeing where turning on test mode would only generate just one one email, just that that all emails get redirected to the 'Test Email Address' instead.

@Sunka and @Kevin - just FYI, v4.1.0 now lets you set a test email limit to prevent exactly this email flood scenario.

1588229889773.webp

There is limited value in having 800 emails delivered to the admin's mailbox :eek:

Top Bottom