What would you pay for xenforo when its released ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodForum.com

Just curious on what the members here would pay for xenforo ... I put the price in yearly terms for simplification ... this could serve as a guide for the owners and lets me test the poll feature :D

Mike and Kier have a HUGE workload.

yeah, when you have 2 or 3 people able to answer a question, and they're busy actually making the product (might even be fixing the issue you mentioned). Getting a response isn't all that likely, doesn't mean they haven't read it though. Hopefully once the product is released and they've got some cash flow they can both spend more time answering questions AND get some more people to help them out.

As it is though, they answer more questions than I would expect, and at some points in the day, more questions than most large companies would, and you know that they're not spinning facts :P

Presale event pricing for around $100-$125.
After that I would hate to see it go too far beyond the IPB cost of $149.

I 100% disagree against any "sale" discount price. To be honest. Believe in your product, stick to the price. Unlike vb4, don't pre sale vaporware that you know is under par, and customers will respect you for that.

yeah, when you have 2 or 3 people able to answer a question, and they're busy actually making the product (might even be fixing the issue you mentioned). Getting a response isn't all that likely, doesn't mean they haven't read it though. Hopefully once the product is released and they've got some cash flow they can both spend more time answering questions AND get some more people to help them out.

As it is though, they answer more questions than I would expect, and at some points in the day, more questions than most large companies would, and you know that they're not spinning facts :p

I'm surprise at how a few things are brought up and taken care of just as fast.

I 100% disagree against any "sale" discount price. To be honest. Believe in your product, stick to the price. Unlike vb4, don't pre sale vaporware that you know is under par, and customers will respect you for that.

They have already stated there will be an early adopters sale... My only hope is that it is not a pre-release sale but an actual early adopters sale... IE we get to see the finished product and code before parting with our money... Though saying that I trust Kier and Mike and think the final product is going to be EPIC

Reactions: Nix

I absolutely agree. The discount is not worth the feeling we all got when VB 4 finally arrived. I would strongly suggest, please NO PRESALE. Get the product in the market and if it's good it will sell itself. Ever since the VB4 Presale experience, the very term "Pre-Sale" sounds irritating.

The price has to be competitive and I'm sure it will be so on that basis $95-$125 per year is probably the only realistic ballpark figure. What I'm far more interested in is what the licensing model will be.

I agree .... it seems we have some billionaire forum owners here. With people here suggesting $200 per year, the only option for the not-so-rich here will be the relatively inexpensive vB or IPB.

I think that was a poll option fail on the part of the OP.

I picked $100-125 and $125-200 which is for the LICENSE, not for renewal. I'm not to worried on renewal fee's.

They have already stated there will be an early adopters sale... My only hope is that it is not a pre-release sale but an actual early adopters sale... IE we get to see the finished product and code before parting with our money... Though saying that I trust Kier and Mike and think the final product is going to be EPIC

They've also said that it wasn't set in stone, and that they didn't mean they'd have one immediately.

On seeing how IPB profited from vBs shortfall since changing owners, I would say from Kiers reputation that their would be a good market for his software. And if priced competitively could rock the two main contenders to the core. Debating what the price will be for something that is not finished yet IMO is not going to help, because it is like any software, you cant give a price until all the costing is done and Kier and partners would feel under pressure to go for the results of the poll which would be wrong.

Most do a public beta on their forums to test when it is nearly finished, to iron out the last of the bugs before release. Just before release is when the price should be set, the reasoning is because the competitor will be dying to find out the costing and what you get for your money. Then they will react accordingly offering carrots to stay with them, that is the market I am afraid. I think they will price it competitively as they will want to take a fair slice of the market, away from the other 2 contenders.

That will come by adding things in that are extraordinary and have not been seen in the others, thats what will win the market at the end of the day.

Just my two pence worth :) :)

The best way this would work is the first X customers to purchase the product get the early adopters sale, everyone else pays full price.

For an annual fee, around $50-$100 seems OK.

P.S: I wonder if any previous forum software have offered "lite" versions that aren't feature-rich and sold at a cheaper price...

I would like to warn the XenForo developers not to be carried away by all the positive feedback on these forums. There are a whole lot of your potential customers who wont post on these forums at all, but the pricing will matter to them a lot, particularly if they are going to be converting from another forum software. Xenforo may be good but it still has to establish itself as a commercial forum software.

Do not underestimate the competition that established softwares like vBulletin and IPB will give you. If you price this product too much then it will fail. The pricing should be such that it should be affordable and attractive.

i agree, personnaly i can't pay 200 buck, i have a licence woltlab, great forum software, small price, good support, so i don't think change if the price is too high

No to annual fee. One time license of $100 (as its a new software) that gives you free updates and security fixes. Once 2.0 comes out, I would want 1.0 to continue to get free security fixes only. Some people want to set up a site and leave it be. They purchase the software and dont want it to be hacked years later. So when a security hole is found, it would be nice for all those people that bought it would be given the fix for the hole, even though 2.0 is out and they havent purchased it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom