What was supposed to be in XF 1.2?

nrep

Although it's unlikely we'll see XF 1.2, what new features was it actually supposed to include?

I did a quick search and saw a screenshot that showed some new anti-spam features (via SFS), but what else was going to be included?

A mobile style. They never gave too many details, I guess it was put on hold before they got that far.

Some think XF will continue to be developed quite soon because the court case is very likely to finish early in 2013. Some are much more pessimistic and think that is unlikely.

Who thinks which way, and why, has been stated repeatedly elsewhere.
Until we have more information there is no point in going into this again. It only gets the thread closed.
Saying it is likely or unlikely we will see XF 1.2 is just going to open this up again and get the thread closed. Saying Kier or Mike are active on the board has been used to support the optimists, but dismissed as irrelevant by the pessimists.So it goes the same way into the same argument.
No one likes it but that's how it is. The whole topic is off limits and gets the thread closed.

On the topic of this thread I believe XF 1.2 plans include spam control. Also mobile style and the RM.
RM as a paid addon. Not sure if mobile style will be paid?

It doesn't matter what was supposed to be in 1.2 almost 1 year ago.

IF there will be a 1.2 in 2013 or 2014 it will be very different and focus mainly at urgent needed bug fixes and framework updates.

I have edited your question to remove the biased and inflammatory style.

If there will be a 1.2 in 2013 it will be very different and focus mainly at urgent needed bug fixes and framework updates.

I have seen posts that state very few bug fixes have been necessary, and that those have been done.
So which bug fixes does this mean?

(It is possible there is a misunderstanding on what a "bug fix" is. This does not mean adding functios or features. It merely means fixing a small mistake or clash in the code that throws up an error message, or unintended results.)

I have edited your question to remove the biased and inflammatory style.

I wouldn't expect anything different from you. ;)

I have seen posts that state very few bug fixes have been necessary, and that those have been done.
So which bug fixes does this mean?

If you would take some time to look into the bug report forum you would see that there are a lot of bugs reported and no one from Xenforo officially even took the slightest care or even notice about them since months.

Xenforo software is currently 100% abandoned by it's developers. That is fact, if you believe it or not. ;)

You are wrong. That is fact. Just because development is on hold does NOT mean its been abandoned so stop spreading such FUD. Thankyou.

Slavik, I really appreciate your participation.
You are correct. It is currently not clear if Xenforo was given up finally or just temporarily by it's developers.

So, can we agree at "temporarily abandoned"?

As you for sure know, not only development is on hold currently. Also all bug handling, official support by developers and any official communications have been not existent since several months.

You are wrong. That is fact. Just because development is on hold does NOT mean its been abandoned so stop spreading such FUD. Thankyou.

What's the difference between "currently abandoned" and "on hold"? Isn't it just that abandoned is more emotive? It means the same thing. No one is currently working on development (which was Jake's interpretation of the limited information Ashley provided a while ago).

Reactions: HWS
Slavik, I really appreciate your participation.
You are correct. It is currently not clear if Xenforo was given up finally or just temporarily by it's developers.

So, can we agree at "temporarily abandoned"?

As you for sure know, not only development is on hold currently. Also all bug handling, official support by developers and any official communications have been not existent since several months.

Not realy, abandoned suggests the people involved will not be coming back, even with the use of "currently", so no, K+M put a lot of hard work into XenForo, saying they've abandoned it is simply inaccurate. Development is currently on hold, that is all. There is no need to reword or rephrase it for any reason.

Critical bugs (such as security) will still receive fixes.

Yes the official support is being mostly handled by myself and Jake now, but Mike is still assisting where we cannot (eg fixing the problems with the demo) and Ashley is dealing with any issues of payments.

In terms of official communication, Kier has been popping in recently to discuss the trial, but in terms of new news about XenForo, as and when there is any, it will be posted. At the moment there is nothing new to report, and most likely will be that way until something major develops or happens in the trial.

The important thing to remember is both Mike and Ashley are (as I understand it) quite active in a number of areas. We never see them online because they have settings that prevent us seeing their online status. So it's easy to assume they've not been here for months, when actually they are.

I believe I once read that Mike at least is online daily. Ashley occasionally responds to Private Messages I send.

If you would take some time to look into the bug report forum you would see that there are a lot of bugs reported and no one from Xenforo officially even took the slightest care or even notice about them since months.
A number of bugs have been reported, that is true. Are the fixes "urgently needed"? If they were urgently needed they'd have been fixed already.

Jake has a good handle on the Bug Reports forum. He marks threads appropriately. He knows what is and isn't urgently needed and I have every confidence that if something was "urgently needed" then it would be fixed.

Critical bugs (such as security) will still receive fixes.

So the official interpretation of the current spam attacks targeting Xenforo boards is not "critical"?

Hundreds of customers and even you as moderators at this board are forced to spend many hours to deal with spammers or buy and install addons since weeks!

I see that situation as very critical and it would only take some hours of one single Xenforo developer to change the registration process in the software to make it harder and even impossible for spammers to come through. Just adding Keycaptcha and/or AYAH Captcha in addition to the current ReCaptcha would solve that issue. You could even hire any one of the addon developers which are still here to do that, so Kier would not have to do it himself. I am also sure a developer would make it for free, if asked by Kier.

However, your customers are left in the rain. This is "abandoned" at least for me.

Regarding your other "news": You know that the trial will not be over in January. If it even starts then or will ever start. And you also know that "development on hold" was not caused by the trial at all, but we all hope desperately it will be solved with it.

This is my last comment in this tread.
I hope you do not delete it or edit any of the posts in it. Thank you again for participation.

Spam is not a security issue. Yes it's a PITA, but users privacy or infrastructure/data integrity are not at stake.

Top Bottom