• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What is the point of profile posts?

Stuart Wright

Stuart didn't you use vBulletin before? They could be compared with the visitor messaging feature that profiles had.
Never saw the point in those, either. And to be honest, I don't get the point of user statuses here or in Facebook either. I appreciate that some people might think there is a use for them, but I find them superfluous and never use them. Is it just me?

Lisa

Never saw the point in those, either. And to be honest, I don't get the point of user statuses here or in Facebook either. I appreciate that some people might think there is a use for them, but I find them superfluous and never use them. Is it just me?
I think it depends on the community - I find that the profile posts removes the need for threads like "random thoughts" because the members can post whatever random thought that popped into their head into a profile post instead of starting a thread.

Mike Edge

o_O Facebook is based around user status.. How do you never use them? Simply liking, commenting or sharing.. You are still using it.

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
It also destroys a great deal of very important information added by add-ons, whereas a lot of what you said can be done with permissions or template edits without destroying compatibility with other stuff.

Tracy Perry

I agree with @Chris D. Eventually you might as well put up this
PHP:
<html>
<head>
  <title>Hello World - Now get lost</title>
</head>
<body>
<?php echo '<p>Hello World.  This is my forum.  You are not allowed to post here, nor can you read anything but this page.  Goodbye!</p>'; ?>
</body>
</html>

Mr Lucky

It also destroys a great deal of very important information added by add-ons, whereas a lot of what you said can be done with permissions or template edits without destroying compatibility with other stuff.
I thought that addon looks very useful. Can you please explain how to do the same thing with template edits?

I have been using them on my relatively new forum to welcome new members as well as share a new feature on the forum that they may not be aware of.

Martok

Look at its value right here.

none.

Good for attention seekers though who dont understand what a private message is.
There's plenty of value. We use it for non-private comments that don't warrant an off-topic discussion, for birthday greetings (saves clogging up a forum with multiple birthday threads) and other stuff like that.