What is Cloudflare ? How does it help webmasters ?

I do have a question, not XF related, but...one of my clients has a catalog site that is database driven. The pages can change throughout the day, though, as we pull inventory numbers from the database in their store and change product availability online depending on what is in stock.

Does CloudFlare cache the pages we generate (we use "friendly" URLs)? My concern is that I would not want an outdated catalog page showing up from a cache.

Caching images in the cloud would be ideal though, as each page can have anywhere from three or four up to two dozen images. And somewhat related--is there a TTL value on how long you keep items in the caches?

Hi Rudy,

"Does CloudFlare cache the pages we generate (we use "friendly" URLs)? My concern is that I would not want an outdated catalog page showing up from a cache."

Don't see an issue if you're generating dynamic content (php, html, etc.). CloudFlare caches the following extensions & we won't cache dynamic content at all.

"Caching images in the cloud would be ideal though, as each page can have anywhere from three or four up to two dozen images. And somewhat related--is there a TTL value on how long you keep items in the caches?"

We actually honor any expire headers you have set on your end (if that makes sense).

Don't see an issue if you're generating dynamic content (php, html, etc.). CloudFlare caches the following extensions & we won't cache dynamic content at all.

OK, I see it now. That's good--we use a standard .html extension on the catalog pages.

We actually honor any expire headers you have set on your end (if that makes sense).

I use expire headers on a vBulletin forum I still run, so we're good there. ;) I think those I have set to "access + 1 year" since they are forum graphics that haven't changed in several years. Avatars, too, since vB generates unique avatar filenames after they are uploaded.

Is there a standard TTL if we don't specify the expire headers? Just curious.

Thanks for the help!

OK, I see it now. That's good--we use a standard .html extension on the catalog pages.

I use expire headers on a vBulletin forum I still run, so we're good there. ;) I think those I have set to "access + 1 year" since they are forum graphics that haven't changed in several years. Avatars, too, since vB generates unique avatar filenames after they are uploaded.

Is there a standard TTL if we don't specify the expire headers? Just curious.

Thanks for the help!

I believe it is very short if nothing specified (can check with engineers). In the back of my mind, however, it is pretty short if we don't catch from expires.

I poked around your wiki again, and the best I found was that content seems to be cached about two hours:

CloudFlare will automatically detect the files on your site that can be cached and then detects those that aren't. The caching typically expires in 2 hours or less, depending on your server settings.

Way off topic: read the CloudFlare blog and saw your entry there about A2 Hosting. I'm a local to Ann Arbor (not that far away)...I should see if they're hiring. Looks like I need to bring pizza though... ;)

Hi Rudy,

More than happy to pass your info in some way to them. Let me know if you need some help;-)

"I poked around your wiki again, and the best I found was that content seems to be cached about two hours:"
My mind is mush right now. Thanks for pointing that out...have to make sure something hasn't changed.

Hi Rudy,

More than happy to pass your info in some way to them. Let me know if you need some help ;-)

Thanks! I may just take you up on that.

I doubt they're doing much hiring though...not many in Michigan are these days. That's why we're looking out of state, if something doesn't turn up here in the next few weeks. I even tried Google...no go, yet. :D

I can not see anything really just keep up the amazing service. I will post if anything comes to mind but I haven't really had any issues yet and am hoping it stays that way :).

That makes two of us that hope you don't have any issues ;-) I would definitely recommend reading some of the tips on our blog...helps with a lot of frequently used settings & the like.

That makes two of us that hope you don't have any issues ;-) I would definitely recommend reading some of the tips on our blog...helps with a lot of frequently used settings & the like.
I've already started and bookmarked a few because they were just that useful. I wonder if xenforo.com would be faster with cloudflare because it is already pretty fast.

Top Bottom