What is Cloudflare ? How does it help webmasters ?

I am going to try it on a couple of my sites, even though they do not have large volumes of traffic as of yet. I am considering trying it on our dedicated server for the big board forum, but only after I work the bugs out of setting it up properly.

Is there a setup guide for XF yet? I have the Wordpress plugin at the ready. I see vBulletin instructions posted online there. IIRC, something needs to be changed so you get the correct originating IP address to come through to XF.

I've used this before on my website but some of my members from the indo-pacific areas we're completely blocked out or they had to go through some sort of captcha every new page. I wouldn't suggest using cloudflare until they fix up their security. It can be a great tool but it just isn't ready for deployment yet, especially not for a website that has a large audience overseas.

Hi Tempest,

There are several options to this:

1. Turn your security settings to low or essentially off (only blocks the worst of the worst). This can be done by going to settings->CloudFlare settings->Basic security->select level you want.
2. Whitelist IPs by trusting (or configuring ahead). Tips for doing so can be found here.

Note: This explains why CloudFlare challenges certain ips. There are tons of infected machines in Asia and SE Asia.

So far so good--the DNS changes only took about 60-90 minutes (wasn't watching too close). I kept running "dig" from the command line to see when they'd go active. Got the site loading well, perhaps a bit faster (it already ran quite fast).

Signed up and have assigned two of my lesser used sites
So far, so good, the speed difference is definatly noticable for myself
I noticed a xenforo site using this, it's in someone's profile here, but I can't remember who's, their site was very, very fast.

I have noticed little or no speed difference in our forum, but it was already fast. As traffic builds (we're rolling out some satellite sites in the coming weeks), it will no doubt show a bigger difference.

It is interesting to see the "junk" that the service is stopping, though--just over 25% of our traffic comes from spambots and exploits. That matches up with what another hosting "neighbor" of mine mentioned a few months ago when he moved his dedicated servers over to it.

Hi AdamD,

"Signed up and have assigned two of my lesser used sites
So far, so good, the speed difference is definatly noticable for myself"

Good to hear!

Hi Rudy,
Yeah, I believe that something like up to 60% of requests are made from bots and crawlers. Can be a huge drag on resources...

Still looking for a good avatar:)

That better?
5149.jpg

You've done well.

Top Bottom