1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is Cloudflare ? How does it help webmasters ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Digital Doctor, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

It says it gives resources to small sites that were only previously available to large sites.
    Anyone research this one before ?
    Jeffin likes this.
  2. Darfuria

Darfuria Active Member

Seems like some sort of CDN + security suite for websites. Not sure on the product, but what a great video!
  3. Jeffin

Jeffin Well-Known Member

4. damoncloudflare

damoncloudflare Active Member

I actually work for CloudFlare (I promise not to spam the forums).

"Seems like some sort of CDN + security suite for websites."
    This is a pretty solid description of what we do.

"but looks like good sites can get blocked by some countries"
    This issue would largely impact sites that have a lot of traffic from China and/or are in China (working on a fix; have a workaround for sites in China).
  5. Digital Doctor

Hi Damon: Feel free to educate me about Cloudflare.
    With the recent increase in spam, have sites with Cloudflare done better ?
  6. damoncloudflare

Hi Digital Doctor,

Many of the sites on CloudFlare have seen significant drops in spam activity making it to their sites (some have reported going from hundreds daily to almost zero). We use a variety of data sources to identify potential threats/spammers, including Project Honey Pot, so visitors identified as potential risks will be presented with a challenge page before they can even access your site (have to pass the captcha to enter).

A couple of customer reviews/mentions mentioning spam specifically:
    Review 1

Since we also act as a CDN, while also filtering a lot of junk traffic, you would also see improvements in page loading times & bandwidth savings.
    Vodkaholic likes this.
  7. AnthonyCea

AnthonyCea Well-Known Member

So basically this is a web application for folks that really don't have a competent server administrator who can run sophisticated software firewalls ?

Now that is a giant market for sure.
    Andrew likes this.
  8. glorify

glorify Well-Known Member

I'd like more info as well.
  9. damoncloudflare

Hi Edrondol,

Thanks. You're more than welcome to ask me any questions. Might seem confusing in the beginning...I'm pretty easy to track down:)
  10. TerminalAddict

TerminalAddict Active Member

I've signed up .. looks like an interesting idea.
    I'll be interested to see/hear how POST data works?
  11. TerminalAddict

I'm a competent server administrator . .contributor to mandriva, php3, and now host many debian machines.
    But I live in a country that essentially sits on the end of a single piece of fibre from San Francisco .. which means our international traffic sucks arse (think ping times of 250 to the USA)

I have a number of servers here in NZ; if cloudflare CDN can alleviate some of that ****ty expereince for me, its a winner.

I don't have a competent internet connection, and will not likley have one for a while, although there is one company trying ( http://www.pacificfibre.net/ ) .. last estimate $900 million .. we wait patiently
  12. Sir nick

Sir nick Well-Known Member

I have used it for a total of 4 months. Was really good.
  13. AnthonyCea

So what is this service going to do that ProjectHoneyPot IP filtering services do for free ?
  14. TerminalAddict

its the CDN I'm interested in .. not the security
  15. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I've just deleted a bunch of off topic posts which were mainly just bickering and detracting from the subject.

Normal service is now resumed.
    Tracy Perry and PeterT like this.
  16. Digital Doctor

I think many potential users don't know the acronym CDN. wikipedia

A content delivery network or content distribution network (CDN) is a system of computers containing copies of data, placed at various points in a network so as to maximize bandwidth for access to the data from clients throughout the network. A client accesses a copy of the data near to the client, as opposed to all clients accessing the same central server, so as to avoid bottlenecks near that server.
  17. AnthonyCea

Many scripts are building in CDN hooks now, I just saw a directory script producer today advertising this.
  18. Digital Doctor

Should xenforo get into the CDN game ?
  19. AnthonyCea

20. jgas

jgas Active Member

It's free, you get your site faster, and you get less spammers: where the deal with the devil? :D
    I understood that you have to change the dns, and that's all, so all off you traffic is routed to the "filters" of cloudflare, but i can't understand why it is free...
    Fuhrmann likes this.