What is Cloudflare ? How does it help webmasters ?

I use CloudFlare on my sites.

As previously suggested, I too keep the security settings low - and the caching aggressive. On CF-Free's normal security settings, some valid corporate proxy servers were being blocked; users couldn't gain access at from their work environments (like motorcycle gab has a place in work ;)). On the low security setting, there haven't been any complaints. My XF site is being supported by the free version of Cloudflare along with a few other domains, but I have a vb3 and a IPB site that are on CloudFlare Pro. My primary motivation for doing the Pro version was give a growing site more resources. My traffic has increased since the change to Cloudflare, as well as my ad revenue. It appears to have increased further since the upgrade to Pro on the two domains, but am still waiting on more data to confirm.

I don't use many of the added features of Cloudflare, but am interested in features currently in beta. They worked well with Chrome and Firefox, but IE didn't like them. My tests of these features didn't involve my XF site.

If you try it, disable all features except basic security (low) and caching (basic or aggressive - whatever works for you). Then work from there and enable features individually after you're accustomed. If you're using a forum feature that serves content from another provider, I'd recommend that you change it back to being served your own host and let Cloudflare pick that up as well (it improved my user's experience). I don't enable Cloudflare on mail, or my ad server.

If you rely on actual user IP addresses, there are some steps you'll need to take, otherwise you'll see Cloudflare network IPs for every user.

For some, a straightforward CDN may be the better solution, but I like the way Cloudflare works.

Has anyone else enabled the beta RocketScript feature? I'm going to test it on the one domain to see if it affects anything. It seems like it might help with the lag I get from Google Analytics in addition to speeding up page rendering from the JS in XenForo. I don't get much traffic on this site yet, though.

Hi Rudy,

Just a quick note to advise that the beta features (Rocket Script, Auto Minify) will likely break something. If they do break something, please let us know specifically what breaks (and then turn the features off).

Has anyone else enabled the beta RocketScript feature? I'm going to test it on the one domain to see if it affects anything. It seems like it might help with the lag I get from Google Analytics in addition to speeding up page rendering from the JS in XenForo. I don't get much traffic on this site yet, though.
The RocketScript feature breaks reply forms; blame TinyMCE. A better option, if it's JS loading time you're worried about, would be to minify your JS (specifically xenforo.js). There's an optimize XF plugin out there somewhere. ;)

I disabled it also--the forum views were showing the descriptions, where they normally apply as balloons when you hover over the name of a forum. I can't keep my live board active this way, so it had to go for now. Since we can only have one copy of XF per domain, I'm reluctant to set up a test version on another domain.

Left my two sites on the cloudflare dns' for a few days, I did notice the same problem as mentioned earlier, accessing the site actually slowed down
The initial connection when you load the site, seemed to pause for a couple of seconds.
Also, I removed my two sites earlier today, navigated to a forum which isn't used right now and saw two spam posts (pharmacy ones), oddly enough, both have Cloudflare IP's
Coincedence? heh

View attachment 13337View attachment 13338

I disabled it also--the forum views were showing the descriptions, where they normally apply as balloons when you hover over the name of a forum. I can't keep my live board active this way, so it had to go for now. Since we can only have one copy of XF per domain, I'm reluctant to set up a test version on another domain.
You can ask them to allow you to use your test install on a separate domain (I've already done so).

Left my two sites on the cloudflare dns' for a few days, I did notice the same problem as mentioned earlier, accessing the site actually slowed down
The initial connection when you load the site, seemed to pause for a couple of seconds.
Also, I removed my two sites earlier today, navigated to a forum which isn't used right now and saw two spam posts (pharmacy ones), oddly enough, both have Cloudflare IP's
Coincedence? heh

View attachment 13337View attachment 13338

Hi Adam,

Our IPs would show unless you put a mod in (we act as a proxy & you have to make a few tweaks to get original visitor IP).

It is pretty unusual for us to slow any part of a site down that is going over port 80. One thing that can contribute to slowdowns would be having certain subdomains proxied (orange cloud that should be gray). More information here.

Coincedence? heh

Did you set it up so the originating IPs are passed through CloudFlare? (It's a line in your config.php file.) If not, their IP address would probably show up for everything since they are a proxy sitting between the internet and your site.

Edit: what Damon said. :D

Oh I see, heh, got worried for a second there
I'll probably consider cloudflare in the future, but not right now, I don't have a site busy enough to warrant using it.

Keep in mind, too, that CloudFlare can't prevent forum spam 100%. They can detect bots, but there are still companies out there who pay people pennies to register at forums and post spam messages. This is how they get past challenges, captcha, bot detection, etc. I put a system in place that thwarted the bots on my phpBB2 forums, but the "human" spammers still came in. There isn't anything out there that can prevent it, other than manually approving each new member who signs up.

"Keep in mind, too, that CloudFlare can't prevent forum spam 100%"

Correct. The good news is that we do catch a lot of spam & you making entries to block in your threat control panel only makes us smarter over time (means more likely spammers would get challenged).

Works like the Bayesian mail challenges some of us have used over the years.

I just didn't want anyone to think CloudFlare prevents all spam--it certainly stops a lot of the bots out there (I have dozens already that have been trapped by CloudFlare), but I know some users expect to see spam killed completely by services, and that's not possible. Even as good as my Gmail filters are on my accounts, I still see spam slip through, maybe one message every month or two out of the hundreds I get per week.

Anyone who could invent a way to rid the internet 100% of spam would be branded a genius. :D

Works like the Bayesian mail challenges some of us have used over the years.

I just didn't want anyone to think CloudFlare prevents all spam--it certainly stops a lot of the bots out there (I have dozens already that have been trapped by CloudFlare), but I know some users expect to see spam killed completely by services, and that's not possible. Even as good as my Gmail filters are on my accounts, I still see spam slip through, maybe one message every month or two out of the hundreds I get per week.

Anyone who could invent a way to rid the internet 100% of spam would be branded a genius. :D

Well, one way to help get reduce the problem is to try and get rid of botnets. A lot of the spam that is sent is probably also sent from compromised machines:( That's one of the reasons why we challenge visitors that are probably infected & prevent them with options to clean up with an AV product.

Top Bottom