What do you think of Windows 10?

I finally upgraded just this past weekend from Win 8.1. I really don't see much of a difference, a bit annoyed some gesture I'm doing on my touchpad will change the active app rather than scroll down the page, but I haven't figured out what it is or tried to google it yet.

Luckily my system upgraded without big issues. I know some systems that lost Wifi or other major issues so I was lucky in that regard.

Its just an OK ,

i personally faced all issues with it :P

From touchpad stopped working to wifi not working , Even external USB mouse also stopped working, it was very difficult to fix it without a pointer on screen, the funniest thing was i had to use teamviewer in my mobile to fix its all issues :D

As someone who upgraded from Windows 7 directly to Windows 10... my personal opinion is that Windows 10 is complete ****.

Once you disable Cortana (because she's a glorified Clippy), there is literally nothing that Windows 10 can do that Windows 7 couldn't. Can't install The Intel Realsense SDK on Windows 7? Only because they don't allow it. Can't install DirectX 12 on Windows 7? Only because they don't allow it.

Not only is there nothing in Windows 10 that you cant do in Windows 7... but Windows 7 also did things better. For instance, the Windows 10 calculator has a LOADING SCREEN now! For a CALCULATOR! Windows 10 feels like an operating system in beta. Like they began writing Windows 10, but never finished. There are TWO control panels, and it takes me forever to find where settings are because I am always looking at the wrong control panel.

Windows 10 is designed for people who don't know computers. It has tons of processes running in the background to help you out... but if you are a pc-literate, you can't really turn them off. If there is one thing I do like about Windows 10, it's how it handle's drivers. I setup a new computer, I don't have to install any of the drivers, except for the LAN drivers (which is weird to me, LAN drivers should be the most important).

And the app-store is dumb. The first thing I do after installing Windows 10 on a machine is to uninstall all apps and the app-store. Every app on the app-store has a full fledged application version that is always better.

I like it. Certainly, as @Jaxel said, it may seem like there's nothing in Windows 10 that you can't do in Windows 7. But hey, Microsoft is "actively" putting older versions down, so I thought I might as well upgrade as to not be bothered by late security updates and all that stuff later (I figured there'd be nothing stopping them from being a jerk about it). So yeah, I just couldn't be bothered with the "fights" against Windows 10. Besides, I actually like the interface anyway. I think I'm quite a fan of it, to be honest.

Though, just like @Jaxel, I also dislike the fact that the new Calculator has loading screen thingy. The delay is only 2 seconds in average, but that's still kinda annoying since I use it a lot. Well, at least it has converter mode. I also don't use the app store at all since I wasn't a fan of it to begin with (there were only pointless apps in Win 8 era). Oh right, I also don't use Cortana because I wasn't a fan of assistant thingy as well (I don't use any kind of assistant thingy in any of my devices).

About the control panel, I kinda found it slightly weird as well. But only slightly, since before using Windows 10 I had already abandoned Windows 7 for quite a while by using Windows 8.1, lol. The only difference that I found with the control panel between Windows 8.1 and 10 was the fact that you HAD to manually set up default applications for known extensions (and strangely, the basic option is set in the new control panel, but the rest still use the old one, lolwut - and if I remember correctly, you have to set both for it to work properly - don't quote me on this though, I can't remember well). But eh, I use lots of third-party apps so I'm used to it by now.

As for drivers. I wasn't aware that Windows 10 made any improvement to it. I always install my drivers manually, not matter which version of Windows because they seemed to do poor jobs with it. So yeah.. no issue with that.

That's why, if people ask me whether I like it or not, I'll just say it straight, I do.

Can't install DirectX 12 on Windows 7? Only because they don't allow it.

Clearly you don't know windows development THAT well. I haven't payed attention to the changes, so I can only guess based on previous instances. Chances are it would take thousands of man hours of development to get it working on 7 (aka Vista Service Pack 1, because thats purely what 7 was. A marketing recovery solution). It's not like the version check is stopping the library from working. More likely a near complete incompatibility with some design of 7. Traditionally it's something like the driver display model. Vista/7 screwed a lot of legacy software (more on the driver end) and the potential for major things getting ported back to XP (Internet Explorer versions etc) when they reworked the display driver model.

They are not going to see a point in dumping a lot of effort into modernizing 7 with their current "this is how we think it should work this time" model when they will just drop support as soon as possible. Alienating more people than they would if they leave legacy operating systems on DX11.

I remember there was some vulnerability in NT4 that was fixed in 2000/XP and while NT4 was still under support they didn't want to rewrite a major portion of the NT4 kernel. So you always have to assume anything that requires kernel or other major work from MS they simply will avoid if they can.

If you were using 8/8.1 10 is an ideal jump. If you are on 7. Stay on it why not.

What do you like?
What do you dislike?
I don't like the automatic updates. I'd rather update when I want them and have the time to do them.
I also don't like Microsoft assuming I don't mind sharing private information.

I have updated one computer to windows 10. I am blocking my other computers from updating from win 7 and 8.1 to win 10.

I don't like the automatic updates.

This has been in play since XP. Completely silent forced updates. They even pushed one in limited quantity that broke windows update if I remember correctly. Only change I see is it gradually went to everything and now they just tell you it's happening.

One thing is clear, people dont like changes at all!
Luckily some of us do, and we can allow for progress in this world. Else we would still use MS DOS on a daily basis.

I've been part of Preview Group for Windows 10 since November 2014, and had my fair experience with the OS.

So lets get some facts straight before we continue.

1) Windows 10 is the fastest growing (adoption rate) OS ever to date
2) They have about 350 million copies out there
3) Windows 10 will be MS last OS - it will be a service going forward
4) MS changes Windows 10 so often, it feels like a new version each time
5) Unified Apps & Unified Store = one damn eco system for all users
6) Its the most secure OS to date, with the least flaws found
7) Its the fastest OS built - ( my computer boots in 3,5 seconds with SSD in Raid 0 )
8) And you get it for FREE! Well, at least until 29th of July
9) Windows 10 runs better on older hardware than any other OS
10) Games just runs better, and with DX12 it will be top notch!

Now, before someone thinks I am a MS evangelist or something, I am NOT! I've had my fair share of cursing, naming MS stuff, and give them the finger in my feedback more than once.
But at least I am willing to try and fail, and embrace the changes, instead of fighting it. Windows 10 is here to stay!

I read that people see loading screens when starting calculator? I mean really? Is that UWP calculator app? Or are you really using computers from the mid 90's?

Also, if people really are so bloody dependent on Windows 7, well stay there. But don't complain about an OS you dont use on a daily basis.

I know many complained about the privacy policies that were enforced by MS, and they suck if you are paranoid or use too much tinfoil hats. But the reality is, wherevery you are today, you leave digital fingerprints, and its no way go get out of it. Well, you can move into the bushes, throw all electronic equipment away and go back to the darg ages.

Enter God Mode and disable all you are not satisfied with, and use the OS for the good parts, its allowed you know.

For once, I actually think MS is on a correct path with how they run their business and handles their software suits and OS'es.
I as a consumer can have access to my stuff via all my devices without any 3rd party software, and I like that.

When I am out during the day, snaps a photo with my Windows Phone, I can watch that photo on my Xbox in my living room or on my computer if I need to afterwards, and its just seamless working nicely all togheter. Same goes for Windows Store/Xbox Store, UWP, people hate it. They dont know it, but they hear a friend hate on it, so we all hate it.
Well again, I think its quite amazing that I can buy it once, and use it on all my devices. Again, with no 3rd party support, it just works! Why wouldnt I want that?

The reason why people hate so much on Windows 10, and all new things coming, is becuase we often dont know much about it. Hence, we complain.

At least, my 2 cents on it.

I don't like the automatic updates. I'd rather update when I want them and have the time to do them.
You can choose not to update, because you are on a metered connection.
The only problem is that when you finally enable updating then it will download and update everything.
(Cannot choose what to update and what not)

I had to use Print-Screen to capture what was happening because when I start calculator there is just a flash of blue before the calculator is open, I didn't even realize it was a loading screen. For me it's visible much less than 1 full second.

upload_2016-7-9_8-14-10.webp

I wonder if from time to click to time it is usable is actually less on Win 10 or did it just not show anything for a second or two on older systems before starting/

I wonder if from time to click to time it is usable is actually less on Win 10 or did it just not show anything for a second or two on older systems before starting/
Just tested: on my Windows 7 machine it opens pretty much instantly (less than 0,5 seconds anyway) without any sort of loading screen. So I don't think so.

This has been in play since XP. Completely silent forced updates. They even pushed one in limited quantity that broke windows update if I remember correctly. Only change I see is it gradually went to everything and now they just tell you it's happening.
Prior to Win 10, you had the choice to:
  • permit an automatic update;
  • notify you of an update and select to update if you wanted to;
  • or do nothing with updates.

1) Windows 10 is the fastest growing (adoption rate) OS ever to date
Simply because Msoft has uploaded and installed to many computers without regard for whether the computer owner wanted win 10 or not.

Msoft is playing with numbers if they are claiming fastest adoption rate ever to date...

Prior to Win 10, you had the choice to:
  • permit an automatic update;
  • notify you of an update and select to update if you wanted to;
  • or do nothing with updates.

Except for the silent background updates that even with checking for, downloading and applying turned off. When news broke this was going on in XP people freaked. Don't think many remember it though.

Top Bottom