What do you think of Windows 10?

7) Its the fastest OS built - ( my computer boots in 3,5 seconds with SSD in Raid 0 )
I'm sorry but I cannot confirm this.

My mom had a 2006-ish laptop with Intel Celeron 1,8-ish GHz, 2 GB of RAM. It ran Windows 7. Well, Windows 7 was already quite slow but once it finished booting, it was okay to "work" with (work as in Solitaire and Facebook using Chrome).

She upgraded to Windows 10 and it was sooooooo slow. Took like 6 Minutes to boot up and starting stuff like Chrome took forever.

Now her harddisk died so she went for a new laptop. It's some HP Pavillon with Core i3, 4 GB RAM and Windows 10 pre-installed. Takes maybe 3 minutes (but still!) to boot and is still slow as hell when trying to start pretty much anything.

Not everyone has a power house, and for those who don't, it's just slow.

Besides, the much-hated Windows 8 had a much faster boot-up time than Windows 7 too. Even on slower hardware.

I guess, all in all, if you have some decent hardware, Windows 10 might not be the worst release ever. But it isn't "the upgrade we've all been waiting for" either.

Simply because Msoft has uploaded and installed to many computers without regard for whether the computer owner wanted win 10 or not.

Msoft is playing with numbers if they are claiming fastest adoption rate ever to date...

Come one, that happended to how many users? Out of 370 millions? Its not even worth mentioning as reason for fast adoption rate.
And its even not working like that anymore.

Keep in mind, the number includes ALL devices, not just computers. But they are quite on track for a billion installation within 3 years.

Playing with numbers? Why should they? Its their biggest success OS in history.
Shareholders wont take information like that likely if it had been lies.

I suspect due to the tens of thousands of postings on Windows XP and things related to updates, I'm having a bit of trouble finding 12 year old news articles on the matter.

Think of it like this. You know how you have no control of the Android Google play store updating itself to its own latest version on a stock phone. Its like that. Nothing evil can ever come of it. Except for the fact it can install any executable they deem suitable and I distinctly remember this being used to deploy a Windows update breaking update. I remember when I installed a similar update to Windows 2000 the old fashioned way. Really annoying.

Come one, that happended to how many users? Out of 370 millions? Its not even worth mentioning as reason for fast adoption rate.
And its even not working like that anymore.

Keep in mind, the number includes ALL devices, not just computers. But they are quite on track for a billion installation within 3 years.

Playing with numbers? Why should they? Its their biggest success OS in history.
Microsoft forced windows 10 upgrades on many unsuspecting users.

Not everyone "adopted" windows 10 willingly.

I suspect due to the tens of thousands of postings on Windows XP and things related to updates, I'm having a bit of trouble finding 12 year old news articles on the matter.

Think of it like this. You know how you have no control of the Android Google play store updating itself to its own latest version on a stock phone. Its like that. Nothing evil can ever come of it. Except for the fact it can install any executable they deem suitable and I distinctly remember this being used to deploy a Windows update breaking update. I remember when I installed a similar update to Windows 2000 the old fashioned way. Really annoying.
I don't doubt you - I was just curious.
I've got two Android apps I can't get rid of as they were bloatware on the tablet, but I do have them blocked from any updates, although I am reminded to update them frequently. (sigh)

It's fine. I just upgraded to it overnight while I was sleeping last night on my desktop, which had Windows 7 Professional, and I had already upgraded my laptop from Windows 8.1 a while ago.

I upgarded both my machines last year, having first taken a system image in case I wanted to revert. I haven't needed nor wanted to. As for ads? None here....dunno where that comes from but it's not Win10 as far as I can see.

Probably something like this:

advertisement.webp

I've got two Android apps I can't get rid of as they were bloatware on the tablet, but I do have them blocked from any updates, although I am reminded to update them frequently. (sigh)

You can get rid of ten but you'd need to root the device

Microsoft forced windows 10 upgrades on many unsuspecting users.

Not everyone "adopted" windows 10 willingly.

True, but we dont know how many it happened to. And it was during couple of weeks back in March it happened.
MS stopped it, ate a pile of ****, admitted the fault and moved on.

But when you say many out of 370 millions, how many is that really?

They also had an accident like that in October 2015, but you dont hear about that one...

Question, since you dont update your OS, do you update OS version on your phone? or are you still on the vanilla version that came with it?

Well the good news is on newer versions of you can usually disable the app without needing root. I think this is now a requirement for OEMs.

Which does bring up something good Microsoft is doing. They are testing a clean install method for Windows 10 to scrub systems of bloatware.

What do you think of Windows 10?

Let's see Ant, let's try to do this without a lot of words.

Windows 10 is absolute trash and caters to the Arliss's in a world of Travis's and old yeller should have been put down as soon as he got bit by the rabid wolf.

Windows 10 is fine. Every PC in the house runs on it. Also have an older laptop running some version of Mint Linux, and a Chromebook 14.

Going to help an in-law currently on Win7 and experiencing poor performance. I plan to just backup a few databits, replace the drive with an inexpensive SSD, and install Win10 as a fresh new install - because a Win10 upgrade won't resolve bad configurations.

My original PC was upgraded and it is still going well, even with Legacy software, but it doesn't run any high-performance components or require custom drivers. I think it does well on older hardware, with a clean config. However, I've heard of bad experiences in this scenario.

I built my current PC with an i7 Skylake, Venom DDR4 RAM, and other MSI / Corsair parts. It runs two Samsung SSDs; one an M.2 and the other a basic EVO. Technically there were no issues, other than the time it took to sort out the driver configs. Drivers and software are less risky on Win10 than they were last year, but think it is still the source of most user problems. Many older programs run fine within an upgrade to Win10, but won't install new on Win10.

Hope this helps,

Even Microsoft is saying they won't meet their goal of a billion by then. See link: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36824687

Out of 370 millions? Its not even worth mentioning as reason for fast adoption rate.

Adoption rate will likely slow down after the free period expires. And according to the article, "Many people have also been reluctant to install the software on their home computers because of the "aggressive" tactics Microsoft has used to prompt them to update."

Wouldn't be the first time shareholders were mislead, intentionally or unintentionally.

Just saying...

I told my lifetime neighbor that I was moving the other day, his first response before "where are you moving" was "DUDE please fix my windows for me before you go, one day it just said 'shutting down' and when it restarted I had windows 10 and it sucks."

As far as highest adoption rate, maybe....but you could wave a gun around and then claim that a specific area has more active runners than anywhere on earth though that would have little to do with numbers of people who winningly run on a daily basis and enjoy it.

At any rate I don't know a single person who consciously downgraded to windows 10, every single person I know (minus 1 person) who (didn't buy a computer that came with 10 and then wiped and reinstalled 7 and) is running 10 got the automatic update because you know... changing the major version of your operating system is not something you should decide for yourself.

Well the good news is on newer versions of you can usually disable the app without needing root. I think this is now a requirement for OEMs.

Which does bring up something good Microsoft is doing. They are testing a clean install method for Windows 10 to scrub systems of bloatware.
Doing a clean install is trivial these days since clean installs create a windows.old folder as of Vista. So even if you forget to back up your personal data, you can still get it upon a clean install by simply moving it out of the windows.old folder. There are also the "refresh/reset" options since Win8 that also effectively do a clean install.

As always, the best thing to do when buying a new PC is immediately do a clean install. Just did this recently with Win10 and it's amazing how much crap Lenovo threw onto the ThinkPad I've been using for the past few years now.

I told my lifetime neighbor that I was moving the other day, his first response before "where are you moving" was "DUDE please fix my windows for me before you go, one day it just said 'shutting down' and when it restarted I had windows 10 and it sucks."

As far as highest adoption rate, maybe....but you could wave a gun around and then claim that a specific area has more active runners than anywhere on earth though that would have little to do with numbers of people who winningly run on a daily basis and enjoy it.

At any rate I don't know a single person who consciously downgraded to windows 10, every single person I know (minus 1 person) who (didn't buy a computer that came with 10 and then wiped and reinstalled 7 and) is running 10 got the automatic update because you know... changing the major version of your operating system is not something you should decide for yourself.

I upgraded day 1. Haven't had any problems with it at all, works fast and smooth (if not faster than Windows 7/8.1 for me).

Then again I game on my PC and wanted DX12.

Top Bottom