What are the technical requirements to develop on xenforo ?

vlom31

Hi,

I'm having trouble finding a good developer because I can only consider the ones that have "Xenforo" in their profiles on upwork.

Can someone please tell me what is the actual stack ? php , zend framework , .. ? what else ?

Mehdi

Symfony, Zend Framework, NodeJs it is famous framework. Also XF 2.0 still using that.
XenForo doesn't use Symfony afaik and not nodejs either. It has some base work from Zend but being familiar with the Zend Framework will not assist much in XenForo add-on development tbh.

Where are you searching for these coders? Are you looking on sites like freelancer? Because that would really explain why you're getting bad coders. Try the custom development section here.

XenForo doesn't use Symfony afaik and not nodejs either. It has some base work from Zend but being familiar with the Zend Framework will not assist much in XenForo add-on development tbh.

Where are you searching for these coders? Are you looking on sites like freelancer? Because that would really explain why you're getting bad coders. Try the custom development section here.
i'm only a day here in xenforo forum, din't see the quality of their skill but i saw QUALITY and QUANTITY of their prices, which is scary ...

I'm surprised at the synfony and nodejs part too, but @Nobita.Kun nodejs might have something to do with your messenger addon but I don't think it's a basic of xenforo.

@Robust I've had one from here and 3 from upwork that all had developed add-ons specifically for xenforo, as that's the only criteria I could use.. but all of them (from upwork) are here too.

As a matter of fact, the best - by far - I worked with didn't even know xenforo, sadly he took on a much bigger job than mine and didn't have more time, but that demonstrated that a great php developer even if he doesn't know xenforo can be much much much better than many I tried that are 100% xenforo skilled.

You didn't answer my question though :) So, just php/mysql ? that's all ?

Mehdi

I'm not sure if other developers are going to agree with me but XF is not a difficult platform at all - even for new comers (not new developers) if they know the following:
  1. PHP OOP
  2. MVC
  3. Template Engines
This combination is not a difficult to find on any freelancing platform. The person you hire just need time to get started on XF with tutorials & guides - so you might need to bare extra cost of about 5 - 10 hours for that part (but this is not much if you're looking for a long term relationship this can save you quite a bit $$ ;))

I'm surprised at the synfony and nodejs part too, but @Nobita.Kun nodejs might have something to do with your messenger addon but I don't think it's a basic of xenforo.

@Robust I've had one from here and 3 from upwork that all had developed add-ons specifically for xenforo, as that's the only criteria I could use.. but all of them (from upwork) are here too.

As a matter of fact, the best - by far - I worked with didn't even know xenforo, sadly he took on a much bigger job than mine and didn't have more time, but that demonstrated that a great php developer even if he doesn't know xenforo can be much much much better than many I tried that are 100% xenforo skilled.

You didn't answer my question though :) So, just php/mysql ? that's all ?

Mehdi
Yes. Both of Symfony & Nodejs which XF does not using yet. But in the roadmap for XF 2.0, @Mike said that using some components of Symfony. NodeJs is grow fast, if you want to building something like Messenger maybe it is good choice :)

Top Bottom