Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest 3.5

No permission to download
Hi Andy, are there any statistics available like how many people received it, how many opened/clicked etc?

It select only new created threads in last 7 days.
Maybe if @AndyB could manage that if there is not maximum new threads, fill the gap with popular threads or something like that.
On my forum there is not so many new threads in week, but posts in old threads, so sometmes my weekly digest send mail with 1-2 threads in it :(

I just received an empty (no links) digest.
It's sad that only the new created threads are taken into consideration, or am I missing something?

For some reason this just isn't working on my server, and I'm struggling to figure out why.
You're using the same code I use in one of my plugins to send an email to a user.
I've put the test user in and ran the cron job, and it states it's been run successfully. No email ever arrives.
No errors, nothing.

I know it's a 'It's not working, anyone got a crystal ball?' type scenario, but has anyone come across this before?
My forum sends emails no problem (Uses the default email option with -f enabled, not SMTP).

For some reason this just isn't working on my server, and I'm struggling to figure out why.
If you are not getting any errors, or email server errors, I'd start my troubleshooting with the cron. Sounds like the job is not getting triggered.

Next troubleshooting steps I would take would be to change the forum mail method for testing purposes.

Last edited:
If you are not getting any errors, or email server errors, I'd start my troubleshooting with the cron. Sounds like the job is not getting triggered.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. This is with putting the test user in and running the cron job manually. It gives me a success message, but nothing comes through. No errors logged anywhere that I can find, strangely.
I did think it might be down to the email settings for the forum.

I don't know why, but it seems the cron job gives the success message a little too quickly.
Normally when I manually run a cron job, there's a little gap between clicking run and getting the success message, but this seems a little *too* quick? I could be imagining it though.....

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. This is with putting the test user in and running the cron job manually. It gives me a success message, but nothing comes through. No errors logged anywhere that I can find, strangely.
I did think it might be down to the email settings for the forum.

I don't know why, but it seems the cron job gives the success message a little too quickly.
Normally when I manually run a cron job, there's a little gap between clicking run and getting the success message, but this seems a little *too* quick? I could be imagining it though.....

Something else I would try since your problem is so isolated, download the extension again, and upload the files and make sure none of them were corrupted, etc. I would even remove and add the extension from scratch.

I was just about to do that, but I installed it on my test server. Works a peach.
Looks like it could be a conflicting add-on on the forum perhaps. I think I'd best start digging :)

Today I got a reply back from one of the sent digests and the recipient said they are not a member. I checked and their email does not exist in the database. However on further review there is a very similar email. For example the user who is not signed up's email was toddsmith[at]email.com when I did have a member with an email of todd.smith[at]email.com and looking st my SMTP records and email was sent out to todd.smith[at]email.com but for some reason toddsmith@email.com go it. Any ideas?

Today I got a reply back from one of the sent digests and the recipient said they are not a member. I checked and their email does not exist in the database. However on further review there is a very similar email. For example the user who is not signed up's email was toddsmith[at]email.com when I did have a member with an email of todd.smith[at]email.com and looking st my SMTP records and email was sent out to todd.smith[at]email.com but for some reason toddsmith@email.com go it. Any ideas?
you might not want to post another persons email publicly. unless you replaced it with examples.

@dethfire what I've figured out, through discovering errors like this, is that addons that generate emails don't always cross check certain things. For instance, [bd] Tag Me does not check the validity of an email address in the XF system - so if an account has been flagged with "email invalid (bounced)" and they are part of a usergroup that gets mentioned/tagged with a group mention, the addon [bd] Tag Me will still send them an email.

What I would do is cross-check your list to see if any other email addresses in the database have a "." in them and see what address those actually got sent to. Something like this could easily produce a bounce that the automated handler would not process

Is it a gmail address?
Google/gMail filter out/ignores full stops in email addresses, so if you sent an email to apple.pie@gmail.com and a second to applepie@gmail.com they will both be received at the same email address.

However, I don't know of any site that takes this particular behaviour into consideration when storing email addresses so things like XenForo will always treat them as two unique / different email addresses.

Top Bottom