Waiting on answers before buying?

vaadar

Hello,

I saw the "August Update" and then a discussion thread with lots of questions, to which a moderator replied that he had answered to them but was just formatting them before posting it.

I want to buy 2x licenses, but only once I've heard what is going on with replies to those questions. (It's the resource manage that interests me).

-Vaadar

To be honest those questions from what I understand are just to clarify things not really announce anything. Only true thing we've been hinted at is that development on 1.2 has slowed due to the ongoing lawsuit and that they're looking forward to the trial date to resolve some issues. 1.2 which supposedly will include the resource manager.

No announcement isn't so much of a problem, it's just that as there have been answers provided, it would be nice to see them so I can base my purchasing decision on it.
I agree.

But to be fair, some people need answers so they can base their livelihoods on it.

I hope you do get an answer soon, but I'm sorry to say your thread asking for it probably won't get you an answer any sooner.

What specifically do you want to know, though?

What do you need to hear to make you buy? We might be able to give you an educated answer, but it obviously won't be official.

Hello,

I saw the "August Update" and then a discussion thread with lots of questions, to which a moderator replied that he had answered to them but was just formatting them before posting it.

I want to buy 2x licenses, but only once I've heard what is going on with replies to those questions. (It's the resource manage that interests me).

-Vaadar

Good luck.

Strange that answers don't come quicker. It makes one wonder if answers quickly and accurately are deemed to possibly slow down sales...and therefore witheld for that reason. It's not like most of the questions were that hard.

I can 100% understand a new buyer waiting for these answers. I would have definitely done so myself if these particular events were occurring when I was considering moving to XF.

There comes a point when reason and logic dictate prudence. I'd say we have long ago passed that point - not that it affects me, because my commitment to XF is already made. But it surely affects new lookers.

I hope the answers come soon for your plans - and are more direct and honest than the former PR (hard to call the past stuff "answers").

I agree.

But to be fair, some people need answers so they can base their livelihoods on it.

I hope you do get an answer soon, but I'm sorry to say your thread asking for it probably won't get you an answer any sooner.

What specifically do you want to know, though?

What do you need to hear to make you buy? We might be able to give you an educated answer, but it obviously won't be official.

Oh I quite agree that existing customers running businesses should have had answers by now, the owners of XF have no excuse other than terrible customer skills for not being clearer. Unless things have totally stopped and the end result is bad, hence they are holding bad news back to prolong sales - it's the only reason I can see for it, unless they just can't understand a customers perspective.

Anyway, I digress. My own situation is one where it's primarily the resource manager I'm interested in as the XF code is great. I can maintain the forum software if development has stopped if needs be (which I suspect is the case). Personally, I don't hold much hope for the future of XF as they have destroyed all of their goodwill from the VB/IB situation and are intentionally holding information back, as opposed to VB/IB who are just poor at producing products. I wanted to prompt for these answers, as it may shed light on the resource manager situation and mean I can purchase XF - if not, I'll have to use IP.Board and IP.Content (which I'd rather not to, as although they are great at support and innovative, it's not as suited to my needs).

You would probably be well advised to go with something else if what you see available at the present time with XF cannot meet your needs for at least the next six to nine months.

I don't know when Ashley is going to post the answers. The questions were mostly about rumors, such as the rumor that XenForo has accepted defeat in the lawsuit. If it weren't for the rumors there would be no questions. I don't recommend subscribing to the rumors. Of course that's not really the point. The rumors speak to concerns about the future of XenForo. Those who wish to indulge that concern partake in the rumors. It's understandable. But the reality is quite simple if not satisfying to the concerned, and that is that XenForo's future rests on the outcome of the lawsuit. The trial is January 15, 2013. XenForo expects and is widely expected to win. That's the long game.

If you are concerned about the outcome of the lawsuit or other rumors then I suggest waiting until January when the trial is passed. vBulletin also recommends waiting:

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/363883-Internet-Brands-claims-against-Xenforo

We trust that software purchasers understand the risks of infringement of copyright law and act accordingly. We have requested that Kier, Mike and Ashley refrain from selling the software while the issues, inclusive of our infringement claims, are heard in the courts. We intend to pursue our rights broadly and vigorously.
We consider Kier and Mike to be talented developers, but ones who potentially fail to grasp the implications of their actions.

I myself am not concerned, but prospective buyers are well within their rights to be. I am here to help with your forum both now and later, whenever you choose to buy XenForo.

Jake, why don't you format them and get them all ready to post so he can just copy/paste it to the announcements forum under his account?

Family issues held off people for a couple days, but I personally don't quite understand not being able to take a few minutes of your day to paste in some information for your thousands of paying customers. I know he's going through some tough stuff but it would only be moments of his time. This is getting ridiculous. Forgive me for perpetuating drama but to me this does kinda feel like stalling.

Just my 2c.

It is unprofessional to refuse to communicate with clients briefly for more than a week tops.
Even if someone is surviving major bereavement, or major medical disaster of their own or a close loved one, it is completely possible to make a small gesture of response to clients after one week of crisis.

I'm very much an XF supporter. But out of 3 team members there should be one capable of posting 3 short sentences.
It doesn't matter if it repeats the same info each week. People need reassurance in the current situation. Clients need to see that the core team are taking an interest in their concerns as well as the other way round.

It does not take long to Copy/ Paste once a week:

In response to people's concerns about the status of Xenforo, XF is an ongoing business.
New development is on hold for now and is expected to resume in January 2013 if not before.
Support for existing clients continues as normal.

But out of 3 team members there should be one capable of posting 3 short sentences.

Well umm, he did.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/august-update.35633/

People need reassurance in the current situation.

Spot on. The discontent isn't about lack of updates, it's about reassurance that they can't give other than what has already been stated which is that XenForo expects to the win the lawsuit.

It doesn't matter if it repeats the same info each week.

I repeat the situation with the lawsuit at least every week if not every few days in different threads that pop up.

The trial is set for January 15, 2013. XenForo expects to win.

;)

Top Bottom