Waiting on answers before buying?

vaadar

Hello,

I saw the "August Update" and then a discussion thread with lots of questions, to which a moderator replied that he had answered to them but was just formatting them before posting it.

I want to buy 2x licenses, but only once I've heard what is going on with replies to those questions. (It's the resource manage that interests me).

-Vaadar

There is some wisdom in the idea that if one has nothing good to say, they shouldn't say it. I'm not saying I always agree with it, but still it is an option.

I had an employee once who didn't talk. He was the best mechanic I have ever met, but in response to customer queries he just grunted. We often had customer calling up to complain "Hey, your installer won't talk to me".....to which we answered "has he delivered and is he installing the product to your satisfaction?".

The answer was always yes.

Dang, when you get old like me you have stories....

Jake,

The questions I have are as follows :

1. What is the current working relationship between KAM? Not fussed about specific personal issues.
2. Is it intended for development of xF if the court case should go in xF favour?
3. There have been continual threads asking for more information as to what is happening - why have these been ignored.

At the end of the day mine is a hobby board. I do not make a living from my board - however mine doesn't pay for itself, so i have invested £££ in xF out of my own hard earned cash. However I have gotten to the point where i have renewed a vB licence, based upon the lack of action and information here. Sacrilege i know, however I made the leap of faith with xF, and the lack of information makes me feel like i have just led on my users over the last 12 months, based on promises made.

All i ask is that KAM be honest with us - not asking for anything out of the ordinary, no difficult questions.

Paul

Just a heads up... in case anyone missed it but the source of all these rumors have come from a few select users twisting/reading too far into what a particular ex-staff typed.

This ex-staff already clarified he never did state the bulk of these rumors.

Not that it makes a difference or makes anyone feel better ;).

Just a heads up... in case anyone missed it but the source of all these rumors have come from a few select users twisting/reading too far into what a particular ex-staff typed.

This ex-staff already clarified he never did state the bulk of these rumors.

Not that it makes a difference or makes anyone feel better ;).
Where one would go to read relevant posts by this ex-staff ;)

Thank you all for the replies!

It sounds like the RM won't be coming out any time soon, so I will have to consider other forum software. I do hope things change with XF at some point in the future, but from all the reading I have done on the forums, it doesn't sound hopeful anytime soon. The lack of interaction from the founders is very disturbing , as running this business is part of their livelihood (and running the software puts bread on the table for many community owners). I fear that bridges have been burnt, as there is clearly something unpleasant going on. A big shame, as this software has so much potential to be the best forum software around if there was just some clarity.

You could run xenforo for the next 2 years and still be ahead of everything else in terms of forum software, nothing else comes close.

It's been great watching our forum explode with activity and posting since we switched last year from vb3.8, we have broken all records in terms of posts per day/month.

The court case will be decided in 6months, I'm not concerned either way for the reason in my first paragraph.

So at this point, for the sake of new customers, investors, and etc, just use XF for "fun" for now... Until official confirmation/reassurance from the KAM team, use other software for full functional sites and clients...? I'm deciding either IPS or BB as emergency back up software lol.
ips if you have to! the support is really good , like here

Trying to stay out of this mess but I think it is time to voice my thoughts.

I find this reading from post to post interesting. Some are repeatedly questioning the future of the software and the commitment from the owners/developers. Now instead of potential buyers coming here to see otherwise, they see the same rumors propagated throughout so many of the posts.

What I have seen now in at least two threads are people coming here and in effect, being sold out of purchasing the software by many of the very same people that decry the supposed lack of information and the dire future due to a perceived lack of information from the trio. In the end, there are people here doing further harm.

Call me naive but KAM do not strike me as ones to continue selling a product if there isn't an intention to continue. The commitment to the customers during the start up stage was a genuine one. I honestly always questioned the ability of these folks to do both development and PR at the level that they had.

More is being made of all of this than needs to in my opinion. The software is extremely stable and has some outstanding add-on developer support. The fact that these folks charge for their product seems to lead to quality add-ons that are both useful and innovative. From an administrative standpoint, xF is very easy to customize. The support from the community and staff is premium.

Sure there is a chance of things ending but I have seen some companies that I would never have imagined going out of business yet doing so. That is the chance we take in life. I like the comment that someone said earlier if you don't have something good to say, don't say it. Sure if there is a bug or software problem, note it but all this rumor mill propagation needs to be toned down. I am not saying be a cheerleader always screaming praises but the level of negativity makes it difficult for people to come here and participate.

We have a good community of people here. Others see that when they arrive but after perusing the forums for a while, they begin to question their initial thoughts. Let it be that there is a law suit and things are one hold as this case is drawing to its public moment but that the software itself and the support are still premium compared to some of the options on the market.

(Steps off the soap box)

I agree - negativity for the sake of it is counter productive, and perpetuating hearsay or presenting it as fact is equally unhelpful.

However the developers are not active in the community and development is on hold. This, as a minimum, needs to be pointed out to newcomers so that they buy with an awareness of the current situation.

Community members in general also need to be aware that the lawsuit is not the answer to XF's prayers. It is not the cause of the current situation and is not necessarily the fix either. It will help XF no end if they win in court and the case is concluded - a good deal of pressure will be removed - but it does not directly translate to a resumption of development; that is dependent on other, more private matters that have already been alluded to in the official announcements.

The software is strong and has great potential - I simply cannot find a good replacement for it - and I want to see XF development restarted, the lawsuit behind us, and the company/developers coming out fighting and being a strong contender in the marketplace (which has just been made soooo much easier by a recent product demo release ... ;) ).

But don't let's sell new customers the idea that all is rosey and XF has a great and secure future - that would be equally as bad!! ;)

... the developers are not active in the community and development is on hold. This, as a minimum, needs to be pointed out to newcomers so that they buy with an awareness of the current situation.

Kindly make it an accurate statement then which this is not.

The developers are active in the community.

Mike has been doing essential maintenance for several days now which is why the demo has been out of commission while it is cleared. This has been stated several times.

Support tickets are being dealt with.
This has been stated several times.

Bug fixes - if they arose which is rare in XF - will be attended to.
This has been stated several times.

The part which is on hold is new development.
Some new development had already been done but in late August development went on hold.

That they are choosing not to make the repeated statements giving us the same info over and over, is I think a shame. It comes under customer relations. But it's their call.

... the lawsuit is not ... the cause of the current situation and is not necessarily the fix either. It will help XF no end if they win in court and the case is concluded - a good deal of pressure will be removed - but it does not directly translate to a resumption of development; that is dependent on other, more private matters that have already been alluded to in the official announcements.

You know when I assess if a member of my professional staff who is currently needing a lot of time off is a loser or is having a specific crisis which won't affect them long term, I look back at their track.

Has this person put in dedication and long hours in the past few years? YES.
Is their work almost always of extremely high quality? YES.
Do they work in a thorough and painstaking way? YES.
Do they generally take care to give clients patient courtesy and consideration? YES.
Do they show a cheerful response to difficulties? Until now YES.
Have I seen them cope with genuine personal issues in the past so I know they are competent mature people? YES.
Did they notify me that they needed leave of absence AND make sure their routine work is covered meanwhile? YES.

So if I can see a track like that I'm going to ask - why is THIS time different?
Why are they not bouncing back quickly and cheerfully and getting back to top performance THIS TIME?

Well I think I'd answer in THIS CASE that these people have coped magnificently with a grossly unfair and huge stress factor for over two years. I'd think that in spite of that they have performed impressively on all my points above.
I'd remember that with their previous employer they were almost as faultlessly professional. Not quite because they had a lot less freedom to act back then.

So as I KNOW these professionals have coped with difficult personal issues in the past, the fact that THIS TIME they aren't managing to just keep on trucking with top notch creative work - but even so they are covering all the routine stuff - why then I'd conclude that two long years of strain from the extra factor has got to them.
Since they have always demonstrated capacity to deal with personal stuff and not let it get in the way before it is logical they can do so again - when the extra factor is not draining them dry.
In such a situation I would say (and have said as a boss) go ahead, take the time you need. You're a valued professional and you deserve it.
Funnily enough my staff work their guts out for me. They do amazing miracles and I really respect them.

The software is strong and has great potential - I simply cannot find a good replacement for it - and I want to see XF development restarted, the lawsuit behind us, and the company/developers coming out fighting and being a strong contender in the marketplace (which has just been made soooo much easier by a recent product demo release ... ;) ).

Absolutely. Their track over two long and difficult years demonstrates that.

But don't let's sell new customers the idea that all is rosey and XF has a great and secure future - that would be equally as bad!! ;)

No it's not rosy. It must be bloody awful being them right now.

But XF DOES have a great future. If KAM can achieve as much as they have under such a massive disadvantage - like creating AND SUPPORTING a forum software still years ahead of opposition - then one almost SHIVERS to think what they might do if that stupid bundle of junk was lifted from their backs.

Read the actual information on the court case. It's junk.
Unless the judge has a complete brain meltdown it's a done deal XF win - or early settlement.

The developers aren't active in the community. Don't be naive.

For that to b e true then a massive lie has been told about Mike working on the site.
Plus for this to be true NO support work would be happening. Yet I haven't seen any complaints at all appearing about tickets not answered.

There are bigger problems in the KAM camp then that court case now.

What?

If you have such definite and confident information then it is only fair to everyone that you explain. Dropping dark hints is just silly gossip gaming.

we can't deny the fact that there is more than just "the lawsuit". I remember when Kier and Mike were making silly comments about the lawsuit. They were confident that it won't affect XenForo in anyway. How come all of the sudden it matter Brogan and others knows the real problem and they don't want to share it. Anyhow I would still be here, and show my love to this community.

For that to b e true then a massive lie has been told about Mike working on the site.
Plus for this to be true NO support work would be happening. Yet I haven't seen any complaints at all appearing about tickets not answered.

What?

If you have such definite and confident information then it is only fair to everyone that you explain. Dropping dark hints is just silly gossip gaming.

You're just gonna have to throw some trust in the dark on this one. It's coming, and soon. and I'm not talking small time stuff like the Q&A thread that won't ever get the answer part of it.

Top Bottom