Very very very bad editor design!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@James I couldn't have said it better myself. And I tried but gave up.

The whole last few days has been very tiresome viewing. Feedback is of course great, and expected, and reasonable. But there's just too many things being demanded that just aren't reasonable.

Please. If you don't like a phrase change. Change it. If you don't like a style. Change it.

Why the constant complaining? I just don't get it.

From these current stats, it does seem to be the minority that prefer the old editor (so far 0 prefer tinyMCE out of ~40)
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/redactor-or-tinymce.51820/
TinyMCE 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Redactor 30 vote(s) 81.1%
On the fence 7 vote(s) 18.9%

I think Shelly has put this to bed, so to speak :cautious:
0 want to go back to the old editor, and those that are sitting on the fence are mostly just waiting for bugs to be ironed out.

How many are using the default node icons and colours?

The majority.
That's what has been stated by XF moderators in the past.

Plus, why is ALL the rest of XF designed as pleasant, but not this?
Is this a new XF policy not to bother with good sleek design, but just focus on function + adaptable design? So we get XFugly but we design it ourselves?
I guess that's going to be great for the Styles designers.

I personally find the new editor's design to be rather modern and perfectly acceptable. Mike has stated its much easier to style and is in the style properties, so I don't see an issue with how it currently looks. I prefer the design of Redactor to TinyMCE.

Even if the new editor doesn't suite my needs, what has been done with the integration is impressive and one major step seems to have been done the last days with the html<=>bbcode converter. The default version of Redactor has too many problems to be used in production. These problems are being corrected by XenForo developers. As I've already said, the only problems with that might be that XenForo developers will have to spend too much time on fixing cross-browsers bugs and the editor can't be updated easily anymore since it's a new branch. So the core, which is the major thing for an editor, should be ok. I personally don't care the design of buttons, but yes it's not sexy and it's probably due to the the gradients of buttons that doesn't contrast with the background. Now, the button designs should be taken care of at the very end.

From these current stats, it does seem to be the minority that prefer the old editor (so far 0 prefer tinyMCE out of ~40)
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/redactor-or-tinymce.51820/
TinyMCE 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Redactor 30 vote(s) 81.1%
On the fence 7 vote(s) 18.9%
I think Shelly has put this to bed, so to speak :cautious:
0 want to go back to the old editor, and those that are sitting on the fence are mostly just waiting for bugs to be ironed out.

This poll doesn't mean anything.
  1. We're not comparing the scripts but the integrations of scripts. Since the integration of TinyMCE 3.x had problems and users have been told they were coming from mce whereas they were not, the results are not significant.
  2. We're comparing an old version of mce with a recent script, which makes also the results not significant, especially about design. But if you really want to compare the default core without integration and without looking at the design, mce simply works whereas redactor have problems. We can also check at the compatibility. Designers should know that making a design compatible from IE6 (mce 3.x) and from IE8 (redactor 8) is not the same, especially with png management.

The majority.

Is this a new XF policy not to bother with good sleek design, but just focus on function + adaptable design? So we get XFugly but we design it ourselves?

Did you bring that point up about tiny mce?
If yes, did you get a response? It applies here also.

If not, why the change of heart?

Some people would complain if their ice cream was cold!

D&D!
mqdefault.jpg

The majority.

Just because a moderator states something and makes a claim doesn't make it true. Have you even bothered to do some leg work and check (maybe via the critique area?) at peoples styles? Most of them have custom node Icons. Who stated this btw?

The design of the icons are actually nicely designed, You just don't like them due to the lack of colour but this is easy for you to modify as it was to modifiy your defaul theme into something custom.

Is this a new XF policy not to bother with good sleek design

That is your opinion. I think the actual default design (greyscale) is an improvement. This has nothing to do with "not bothering" but they have given us the ability now to easy customize the editor, i wouldn't exactly call that not bothering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom