vBulletin 6 has arrived, what do you think about it?

:LOL: I'm hearing this expression for the first time.
1708637505607.webp

1708697975809.webp

vBulletin 6 Add-Ons this:
1 language (Swedish)
1 style (Green Style)
0 bb Codes
5 customization
3 packages

I don't consider the language pack and style as add-ons. When purchasing the product, you get 8 plugins!

The website listed below doesn't seem to be working for some reason.

Last edited:
The style looks rather bland but they did integrate Shopify so that has to be good. They added CK Editor 5, Font Awesome and reactions. Nothing big at all. They could update the software all they want but it’ll never be anything special. Nothing like VBulletin 3.
Vbulletin 3 ruled. I wrote so many mods for that thing... Then 4 came out and they made it purposefully suck for modifications and every update just seemed like they were trying to make it worse for modifications.

Vbulletin 3 ruled. I wrote so many mods for that thing... Then 4 came out and they made it purposefully suck for modifications and every update just seemed like they were trying to make it worse for modifications.
4 was better than 3 as you had vbseo and dbtechs optimization tools but when you ran a large forum it was so resource heavy. Xenforo reduced my load by so much, it was such a huge improvement.

How did they make VB4 worse for modifications? VB 4 added more hooks with the initial release and more as time went on it - which should have made it easier for you.

How did they make VB4 worse for modifications? VB 4 added more hooks with the initial release and more as time went on it - which should have made it easier for you.
Problem was you had an EOL PHP that you could only use. That's what caused all the issues. People moved over to other software.

Yeah, I was pretty happy with vB4. vB3 was good, too. I think I may have even run vB2 - I don't remember. I started with UBB after running forums on a BBS...

4 was better than 3 as you had vbseo and dbtechs optimization tools but when you ran a large forum it was so resource heavy. Xenforo reduced my load by so much, it was such a huge improvement.
I disagree however your argument of 4 being better than 3 hinges on I think 2 addons? I know obviously dbtech but I think vbseo was also an addon.

Not nullifying your argument some of the best forums I ever used was 3.6-8 +addons - but I feel like 4+ was just a slow decline into "we'll do what suits IB's portfolio and if others want to buy it they can"

I disagree however your argument of 4 being better than 3 hinges on I think 2 addons? I know obviously dbtech but I think vbseo was also an addon.

Not nullifying your argument some of the best forums I ever used was 3.6-8 +addons - but I feel like 4+ was just a slow decline into "we'll do what suits IB's portfolio and if others want to buy it they can"
I cited two examples.

It's truly sad. vBulletin was once pioneer, a great software, before times of XenForo of course. And along the way it has lost its charm, quality, importance. It's like Alienware. Ever since they got taken over by Dell, they've gone to literal ****.

Gods no, I didn't need "more hooks" in 3, what they did was they changed the use of variables in a way that just made it difficult to make sense of and therefore to make mods. I was able to remake some of my old modifications over time, but not like I was with 3 where I could make that thing dance with little effort.... That one ruled... at least for me. I would point to their .org website there were so many more modifications on 3 than there were for 4. Not just because they were needed there (they were), but I surmise it is because they were easier for folks to write.

4 was better than 3 as you had vbseo and dbtechs optimization tools but when you ran a large forum it was so resource heavy.
That opinion probably depends on when you switched from vB3 to vB4. vB4's 'gold' release was a complete disaster. It was released prematurely with hundreds of major issues many of which were never addressed during its lifetime. vB5/6 followed the same pattern.

vB3 on the other hand was always solid, so much so you could confidently apply updates before they became release candidates.

That opinion probably depends on when you switched from vB3 to vB4. vB4's 'gold' release was a complete disaster. It was released prematurely with hundreds of major issues many of which were never addressed during its lifetime. vB5/6 followed the same pattern.

vB3 on the other hand was always solid, so much so you could confidently apply updates before they became release candidates.
What issues did you encounter also were you self hosting or on their vbCloud system?

Me personally haven't had any issues with my current one on their cloud.

when i self hosted i couldn't understand most of the reason why it wasn't working most of the time.

Even filling out the config form was hard.

I'm interested to find out.

What issues did you encounter also were you self hosting or on their vbCloud system?
vB4 was never offered as a Cloud service. There were literally hundreds of critical issues when the software was first released as 'Gold'. vB5 was build on the same code and again contained multiple issues on release. I have a licence (vB5) which I installed self hosted. I couldn't possibly list all the issues I encountered with it or even those I personally reported but there are still 3095 confirmed issues listed in the tracker and you can be sure many of them carried over into vB6.

There are multiple bugs present on the official site e.g. hit 'Mark Channels Read' and come back in a week or two and you'll find every forum and sub-forum emboldened suggesting new content when in reality the majority haven't seen a new post in years.

Top Bottom