vBulletin 6 has arrived, what do you think about it?

When I visit other forums and the text selection-based quoting feature is missing (just a small example), it feels like a fundamental part of user interaction is lacking.
So vb still doesn't have this? Hell, the rather buggy, kludgy custom that my writing forums use can do it. Sort of. It works a lot of the time, anyhow. :rolleyes:

So vb still doesn't have this? Hell, the rather buggy, kludgy custom that my writing forums use can do it. Sort of. It works a lot of the time, anyhow. :rolleyes:
They do have multi quote. I just checked my settings on my vBulletin site.
Maybe you should go check it out.

They do have multi quote. I just checked my settings on my vBulletin site.
Maybe you should go check it out.
Pretty sure they aren't the same thing.... I think what they are referring to is the ability to do this

checked my settings on
Highlighted that text in your post, then told it to reply. I didn't have to edit the entire message just to get that small segment.
Multi-quote is an entirely different breed of animule. But honestly.. it's not that surprising you don't know that simplistic difference. Does the phrase "blowing smoke" ring a bell to you?

Last edited:
I think these pictures should tell you everything you need to know about the level of attention to detail basic functionality:

1693835748414.png

1693835789766.png

CSS is hard please understand

Avatar size is something i think i can fix up in my settings on my vBulletin site.
But yeah some of the avatars are out of whack on there.

I think these pictures should tell you everything you need to know about the level of attention to detail basic functionality:

View attachment 290709

View attachment 290710

Wait, don't you understand that's supposed to be the Moon, Earth and Sun in alignment?

View attachment 290709

View attachment 290710

Nah, it's the new moon-earth-sun alignment design trend!

I am resentful and would not even use a cleaning rag from Vbulletin to check the oil level in the car. What you did back then, with Scott Molinari and the German support forum and customers, is just not good.

I'll be honest after 3.8 I lost interest. I tried 4 but I wasn't a fan - too bloated, a nice new front end but the backend was still bloated and inefficient. The reasons that the devs parted from Jelsoft/IB was that they wanted vB4 to be a full rewrite and instead IB pushed for a polish up of the existing code base instead of allowing the time required for a full modern rewrite. Consider WordPress. Too much antiquated bloat and code on top of old fashioned code.

I'll be honest after 3.8 I lost interest. I tried 4 but I wasn't a fan - too bloated, a nice new front end but the backend was still bloated and inefficient. The reasons that the devs parted from Jelsoft/IB was that they wanted vB4 to be a full rewrite and instead IB pushed for a polish up of the existing code base instead of allowing the time required for a full modern rewrite. Consider WordPress. Too much antiquated bloat and code on top of old fashioned code.
When i first started with vBulletin there were things i didn't like about it.
So i left them but still had my licence to use their software.
When i found out about vbulletin 5 i found out that another forum was using the software and actually loved what they had done.
So i thought i'd go back.
I had to buy a copy of vBulletin 5 which was fine by me.
So now i'm with them and loving it.
Reason was because i had a weird theory which is dismissed now that version 2.3 in xenforo was going to be similar.

Someone can probably answer this here so... Has vbulletin actually undergone a full code rewrite/refactor yet? I think they rewrote their template system in 5 but has there actually been a full software rewrite?

Someone can probably answer this here so... Has vbulletin actually undergone a full code rewrite/refactor yet? I think they rewrote their template system in 5 but has there actually been a full software rewrite?
No. The official line is...

There is still some legacy code in the software. Mostly due to the AdminCP. However, there is less legacy code with each release. About 75% of the files in the /core/includes directory have been removed due to refactoring and updates. I doubt you'll see a complete rewrite from the ground up. continuous refactor does the same thing.

Style wise, it looks fine. Functionally, I haven't used vBulletin in a while. So I don't know how much of an improvement it is.

Haha you sound like their former developer!
Can you link me to his comments please?
Mine from 10 years ago are here.

Can you link me to his comments please?
Mine from 10 years ago are here.
Yep i will

My own site that has that software was upgraded to vbulletin 6.
It's not bad but there's a few things that i should have fun with.
Theres even a few new styles on there including the old vb5 style and default style.
It's great that there is a shopify API on there.
That is what is needed here.
I'd be able to sell my drawings on here.

Its very easy to see what this "new" version is really about.

Why call it 6.0 when not much has changed? Because it gave them the opportunity to make a huge change to licensing. They have a large number of perpetual licenses that have been able to keep upgrading to the latest VB 5.x version for over a decade. If you have a perpetual VB license, go into the Member Area at vbulletin.com and you'll see you cannot download 6.0.

To use the latest VB you would need to purchase a new license - there's no upgrade option there. And then annual renewal payments.

This also allowed them to jettison maintaining the VB 5 mobile app, which will no longer be available after the VB 5 maintenance period ends in 11 months.

They have a large number of perpetual licenses that have been able to keep upgrading to the latest VB 5.x version for over a decade. If you have a perpetual VB license, go into the Member Area at vbulletin.com and you'll see you cannot download 6.0.
This is something that another script provider was given (rightly so) heat about. You offer a perpetual license to your script... perpetual has a certain legalistic meaning. The way the other script provider basically got around it was they "changed the name" of the script/company as well as giving it a new version number.... but honestly, probably nobody that had a perpetual license was willing to spend what it would cost to hold their feet to the fire.
XenForo honestly has one of the better licensing routines, and surprisingly, their prices have not increased drastically from when they were first offering the script. Bang for the buck (for the basic forum offering) it's hard to beat XF. It's when you need to start pushing your site beyond a basic forum/gallery/download ability it starts showing some warts.

Top Bottom