What do you think about XF's decision to hide user info in postbit?

What do you think about XF's decision to hide user info in postbit?

• Total voters
Hi Kier

As I do not know what it is I do not know whether it is working or not but seeing how I haven't found anything not working I am assuming it must do!! :confused: :D

From what I have seen I think your forum software is great, I can't see anything wrong with it and can't understand why there seems to be so many whingers whinning that is is in the wrong place, that is in the wrong place, this, that or the other should be bigger, smaller or a different color, you should have CMS, SEO, PHP, IBS or some other acronym that I haven't got a clue what it does, I don't know how you manage to keep your cool I would be telling them all to shove it by now.

Regards

Dereck

Dereck it's not folks whining, it's users giving their feedback and suggestions... Yes some things are better left for the user to customize their own board but we're all here to help improve the quality of XenForo so they have an amazing launch. Also I'm pretty sure what Kiers referring to in this instance is how do you feel about the post bit having minimalistic information on it (below you're avatar).

Hi Kier

As I do not know what it is I do not know whether it is working or not but seeing how I haven't found anything not working I am assuming it must do!! :confused: :D

This is your avatar.

This is your postbit.
postbit.webp

Most postbits on other forums contain information such as join date, number of posts, etc.

Also I'm pretty sure what Kiers referring to in this instance is how do you feel about the post bit having minimalistic information on it (below you're avatar).
Actually I'm pretty sure that Kier was referring to this part of Dereck's post -
Hin guys
I havent the faintest idea what a postbit is and as a forum user don't really care as long as it works.

Regards

Dereck
Question is, given what you see here, does it?

Looks like the poll is getting more representative to the reality; the first option has gone down from 75% to almost 50%. Looks like an admin (and/or user) on/off switch wouldn't be a bad idea, at least for showing/hiding the number of posts.

Looks like the poll is getting more representative to the reality; the first option has gone down from 75% to almost 50%. Looks like an admin (and/or user) on/off switch wouldn't be a bad idea, at least for showing/hiding the number of posts.
First two options are for minimalistic approach, but people have stated they will be adding to it.

You do not know if thats already information on the forums (Post count, join date) or whether its something they're going to choose to add themselves. 

First two options are for minimalistic approach, but people have stated they will be adding to it.

You do not know if thats already information on the forums (Post count, join date) or whether its something they're going to choose to add themselves.
I guess my vote should have gone to the third option, second option is not the minimalistic option as it would be folks adding more to it.

:) Template edits do wonders though.

I have nothing against template edits, I just find it funny to put post count under my username it would be classified as a modification. Aside if the devs really want to tell 40% of their customers to do it themselves, then so be it. The polls open for a reason and that's to get public view on this.

I think the poll is approaching the point where they may consider adding it as an option. :)

I'm pretty sure what Kiers referring to in this instance is how do you feel about the post bit having minimalistic information on it (below you're avatar).

This is your postbit.
postbit-png.1342

Most postbits on other forums contain information such as join date, number of posts, etc.

Hi Guys

Thanks for explaining what a postbit is and whislt I am not a forum owner (I was invited here by my administartor to check things out) I voted for option one, if I am curious about a member I simply take a peek at thier details, I am not sure why all that information has to be on view it is irrelevant to the day to day running of the forum.

Regards

Dereck

Hi Guys

Thanks for explaining what a postbit is and whislt I am not a forum owner (I was invited here by my administartor to check things out) I voted for option one, if I am curious about a member I simply take a peek at thier details, I am not sure why all that information has to be on view it is irrelevant to the day to day running of the forum.

Regards

Dereck
^ This should end the thread, right now.

there should be another option for those who will add more user info in member card not in the postbit

attached img is not what the users want ..

Attachments

• postbit.webp
    postbit.webp
    21.3 KB · Views: 47
I have nothing against template edits, I just find it funny to put post count under my username it would be classified as a modification. Aside if the devs really want to tell 40% of their customers to do it themselves, then so be it. The polls open for a reason and that's to get public view on this.
We do understand what the poll is for. However, Kier and Mike's vision for XF is for a more minimalistic, clean-looking appearance. Why it is so all-fired important that user info be on a post is beyond me. However, if they make it an admin option, so be it. But the fact that all of this info is only one click away, just comes across as laziness, imo.

And this IS only my opinion.

The ability to add content below the avatar is a basic requirement for a most forums. I know that with vBulletin many of the troubleshooting questions were of the type asking how to add custom profile fields into this area.

Ranking is not my concern.

My concern is accurate Google results. On my forum we show the make and model of the motorcycles we own. So I show that I own a WR450F. The problem occurs when I search Google for a WR450F I see they have indexed the content below the avatar along with post content. It would be very nice to be able to prevent this from occurring. I think my best solution is to not show avatar content to those that don't have a cookie set. I don't think search engines use cookies.

Or just use HTML5 and use one of the "This is not content" tags.

Personally I'll be adding some info into the postbit as our users would expect it, but as long as it's easy enough to do then I'm happy to edit the templates to get the information to display as i want

The ability to add content below the avatar is a basic requirement for a most forums.
But XF is not most forums, nor do we really want to be. While providing the basic forum requirements, we want to be - Different. Unique.

Remember our new slogan - Dare to be Different!

Top Bottom