What do you think about XF's decision to hide user info in postbit?

What do you think about XF's decision to hide user info in postbit?

• Total voters
Honestly, Google is not so monumentally stupid as that. Give them some credit.
You're right, I should have clarified that. Given that they are already parsing out forum information ("6 posts - 3 authors - Last post: Aug 19"), it's quite obvious that they know how to handle a forum structure. I should have clarified that.

I guess the point I was trying to get across was that Google uses an algorithm, and thus theoretically anything you add or change to the page could affect your search results, even if it is too small to be noticed. :)

I like the lack of information. Whatever I'm curious about I can click and see. And having the member popup card makes this easier than other forums. I wonder, though, if it's worth pondering how staff it going to spot newbies to make sure they feel welcome. Maybe the member description? Or maybe some other kind of alert?

As I've said before, I've yet to see any empirical evidence to support a claim like this.
Well, I'm not rejecting your ideas.....nor am I saying you're wrong.

The thing is this, when I added some information to my postbits in my vbulletin instance - like adding a gamertag/username information to the postbit - I searched my gamertag, and have found that Google does indeed "read" it as part of the SEO. And when I dropped them, I have learned that those results have gone. Kapput.

Well, I'm not rejecting your ideas.....nor am I saying you're wrong.

The thing is this, when I added some information to my postbits in my vbulletin instance - like adding a gamertag/username information to the postbit - I searched my gamertag, and have found that Google does indeed "read" it as part of the SEO. And when I dropped them, I have learned that those results have gone. Kapput.
You can then add it to the postbit, as you would have to anyways.

The information -not- shown really serves no point other then giving users information about the poster... It is still there, but it is out of the way now. 

Post count and Online status is all i care about at a glance. I do think these two postbit additions should be visable without having to click the avatar.

I have no SEO on my site but we appear at or near the top of the results when it comes to searches on f1 overtaking analysis/statistics.

I understand this is purely from the number of external links/visits/clicks.

Regarding the clean look, which is really 'how much information in the member card vs postbit' question: I am not sure what the answer is.

If there would be switches in the adminCP then what switches would there be? The chances on pleasing everyone are almost zero, no matter how many switches there are, and that would not apply to custom fields.

If there was a master on/off switch for the member card, then that would be an entirely new UI to support and maintain.

Personally, I think having extremely clear 'how to' information of how to achieve these would be ideal:
  • custom fields (gamer tags, car, iTrader rating, dogs name), put into the post bit and/or member card, and
  • how to put some of the fields that are now in the member cards into the post bit.
Speaking as a non-technical person, if I know how to accomplish things, I am quite happy to edit templates, if I know what to edit.

I have no SEO on my site but we appear at or near the top of the results when it comes to searches on f1 overtaking analysis/statistics.
Either you have a really good keyword website, or a really good niche.

For example, www.mw2forums.com is a splash page, and little SEO.....but has gotten a lot of keywords just because of the niche traffic.

Regarding the poll. The top 2 results added together are now 80%. If people read the choices clearly & voted accurately, that would mean 80% of the people like the "less is more" concept, which unless I am mistaken, that means they like the member card with a bit more information than what is in the post bit.

edit: there seems to be 2 different conversations occurring at the moment. I'm not sure the title of thread has anything to do with seo in it. Somewhat related, but not entirely related.

Personally, I think having extremely clear 'how to' information of how to achieve these would be ideal:
  • custom fields (gamer tags, car, iTrader rating, dogs name), put into the post bit and/or member card, and
  • how to put some of the fields that are now in the member cards into the post bit.
Speaking as a non-technical person, if I know how to accomplish things, I am quite happy to edit templates, if I know what to edit.
I'm sure there will be tutorials as soon as the software is released. :)

Regarding the poll. The top 2 results added together are now 80%. If people read the choices clearly & voted accurately, that would mean 80% of the people like the "less is more" concept, which unless I am mistaken, that means they like the member card with a bit more information than what is in the post bit.

Pretty sure I'd add the second and third option together before I added the first two... I voted for the second option saying I liked the clean look but still would like to be able to add more.

Pretty sure I'd add the second and third option together before I added the first two... I voted for the second option saying I liked the clean look but still would like to be able to add more.
My point was, I *believe* the poll at the moment could indicate 80% of the people who voted like the concept of the member card. Do you object to that concept? Do you like the member card?

My point was, I *believe* the poll at the moment could indicate 80% of the people who voted like the concept of the member card. Do you object to that concept? Do you like the member card?

I think people are thinking by adding more info to the postbit the membercard should go away, not at all. I love the membercard but I would love the flexibility to add more to the post bit with ease or options while still retaining the card.

A better way to look it as that 60% of people like it the way it is now. So don't change it. :D

Or almost %40 of folks thinks there needs to be more.

Question is, given what you see here, does it?

Hi Kier

As I do not know what it is I do not know whether it is working or not but seeing how I haven't found anything not working I am assuming it must do!! :confused: :D

From what I have seen I think your forum software is great, I can't see anything wrong with it and can't understand why there seems to be so many whingers whinning that is is in the wrong place, that is in the wrong place, this, that or the other should be bigger, smaller or a different color, you should have CMS, SEO, PHP, IBS or some other acronym that I haven't got a clue what it does, I don't know how you manage to keep your cool I would be telling them all to shove it by now.

Regards

Dereck

Hi Kier

As I do not know what it is I do not know whether it is working or not but seeing how I haven't found anything not working I am assuming it must do!! :confused: :D

From what I have seen I think your forum software is great, I can't see anything wrong with it and can't understand why there seems to be so many whingers whinning that is is in the wrong place, that is in the wrong place, this, that or the other should be bigger, smaller or a different color, you should have CMS, SEO, PHP, IBS or some other acronym that I haven't got a clue what it does, I don't know how you manage to keep your cool I would be telling them all to shove it by now.

Regards

Dereck
Wrong placement/color is more because things don't always stand out, or get the usage they would in a more efficient placement.

As for lack of features, some of them have gotten to the point that I hope they're not added just to spite certain people. Badgering the developers consistently does nothing for having functionality added. 

Hi Kier

Regards

Dereck
ROFL! I love your honesty.

Top Bottom