What do you think about XF's decision to hide user info in postbit?

What do you think about XF's decision to hide user info in postbit?

• Total voters
Many forums such as mine have lots of additional information below the avatar which is a problem when search engines index it along with the post content. I think it's very important that content below the avatar be easily added as well as hidden from search engines.

Nah, this informations don't affect the google ranking!

Yes, it can. It could theoretically be seen as duplicate content since it is repeated so often on every page. Any content on the page will affect search-engine results in some way or another. :)

Yes, it can. It could theoretically be seen as duplicate content since it is repeated so often on every page. Any content on the page will affect search-engine results in some way or another. :)
Pretty sure its been stated in the past that some content is ignored as inconsequential, and they do not count it against sites for page rank.

People need to get over this fear that everything affects their page rank; make your site for users, not for SEO.

A big reason for not displaying as much information as is displayed by other solutions is because most people don't care about it much; it usually comes as an afterthought. The information is still there, but it is presented out of the way.

Truly, if someone finds postcount, likes, and trophies to be -that- important to them, they'll be willing to click a link :rolleyes:. Otherwise just do some simple template edits to add it to the postbit.

The Google algorithm is more sophisticated than you think...

I like the member card but IMHO the basic informations in postbit is necessary.

Benefits: Not showing post count on every page will discourage post count inflation.

Drawbacks: Requires one more click to determine someone's location if they ask a question that will have a location-specific answer, such as on a Gardening forum.

But I can view this information in the overlay without disrupting my viewing of or replying to the thread.

I wouldn't mind seeing a rollover for each user's avatar that put up a tooltip of just their profile fields, but I can deal with the overlay.

HTML5 allows you to mark sections of your page as not content. This is especially useful for navigation.

The only information that I miss is online status.
The exact post count, number of likes etc. just isn't that important so getting it via the member card works for me.

/SK

Ranking is not my concern.

My concern is accurate Google results. On my forum we show the make and model of the motorcycles we own. So I show that I own a WR450F. The problem occurs when I search Google for a WR450F I see they have indexed the content below the avatar along with post content. It would be very nice to be able to prevent this from occurring. I think my best solution is to not show avatar content to those that don't have a cookie set. I don't think search engines use cookies.

The exact post count, number of likes etc. just isn't that important so getting it via the member card works for me.

I really miss the online status as well. Also it would be nice to see where the member is from if they elect to show this. But remember on other forums the information below the avatar can be very useful. So it really needs to be an Admin setting and based on the forums needs it would either show the data as it does on most forums, or be hidden and require a click to see additional data.

I completely agree with the current situation. The necessary information is presented. If someone wants more information, a little more is provided, and if they wanted more, it is another click away :)

Not gonna clutter this thread with a useless post full of my opinions, so instead I'll clutter it a post full of quotes I agree with! :D
Honestly, Google is not so monumentally stupid as that. Give them some credit.
People need to get over this fear that everything affects their page rank; make your site for users, not for SEO.

I wouldn't mind seeing a rollover for each user's avatar that put up a tooltip of just their profile fields, but I can deal with the overlay.

/fin

Ranking is not my concern.

My concern is accurate Google results. On my forum we show the make and model of the motorcycles we own. So I show that I own a WR450F. The problem occurs when I search Google for a WR450F I see they have indexed the content below the avatar along with post content. It would be very nice to be able to prevent this from occurring. I think my best solution is to not show avatar content to those that don't have a cookie set. I don't think search engines use cookies.

I think it's a little "black hat seo" disable showing avatar content for spiders...

See, to get new users, or rather; get more visitors, and new users alike. We need to worry about how our SEO is. The lack of SEO will put your website or forum WAAAAAAAAY in the back of the line. So, therefore, the bigger sites that have SEO and some hot features are more likely to jump in the front than the others.

See, to get new users, or rather; get more visitors, and new users alike. We need to worry about how our SEO is. The lack of SEO will put your website or forum WAAAAAAAAY in the back of the line. So, therefore, the bigger sites that have SEO and some hot features are more likely to jump in the front than the others.
Because a good word-of-mouth from users who enjoy the quality experience at your site is not a big factor.

You'll only be in the back of the line if there's a line to begin with.

Top Bottom