vBulletin 4 to XenForo Importer [Deleted]

thanks very much for this. Just did a test import on my VB4 forum. Question. When I go to shut down my vBulletin forum, can I do the import again without fear of duplicates? Will it just merge anything new with what I've imported?

Please be more clear.

I'm assuming your not going to use the test install... In which case, you have nothing to fear about duplicate. But if you try to import the same database into the same place you've already imported, you'll of course end up with duplicates.

It seems the importer is running into issues when importing the users. After getting to 100%, the importer simply shows a blank page. I don't see any PHP errors, and I've turned on all PHP errors , so that's not the cause. Does anyone have a possible solution to this issue?

Edit: Seems to stop on:
$merge = $sDb->fetchAll($this->_getSelectUserSql('user.userid IN (' . $sDb->quote(array_keys($manual)) . ')'));

Edit2:

That seemed to cause an error ($options had no data), so I threw in the following code
Code:
$this->_session->unsetExtraData('userMerge');
return $this->_getNextUserStep();
Right before that query, and the issue was one of my users somehow had a comma in their name, so I fixed that on the original vBulletin database, and I'll give it another try.

Please be more clear.

I'm assuming your not going to use the test install... In which case, you have nothing to fear about duplicate. But if you try to import the same database into the same place you've already imported, you'll of course end up with duplicates.

Apologies, I should have been more clear. I wasn't intending to maintain a separate testbed. I (wrongly) assumed the importer would overwrite data from a previous import. Thanks for the reply. I guess my best bet is to just build a separate instance of XF, and wait to import until I'm ready to shut down my vB4 board?

Apologies, I should have been more clear. I wasn't intending to maintain a separate testbed. I (wrongly) assumed the importer would overwrite data from a previous import. Thanks for the reply. I guess my best bet is to just build a separate instance of XF, and wait to import until I'm ready to shut down my vB4 board?

I would advise you to use a test board anyway. That way you can get familiar with XenForo, perhaps do some styling (which you can then import and export), and test the imp;ort process.

It is possible to do an import and remove all the content afterwards, though. It's just not the recommended approach.

It seems the importer is running into issues when importing the users. After getting to 100%, the importer simply shows a blank page.

How many users?

A blank page is often a suppressed error. Try adding this line to your library/config.php file to see if that reveals any specific error message on the blank page:

Code:
ini_set('display_errors', true);

And if I had to guess as to the error... I would suggest adding these lines to increase the memory limit and timeout:

Code:
ini_set('max_execution_time', 5000);
ini_set('memory_limit', -1);

How do i run the importer?
http://xenforo.com/help/importing/

Configuring the Importer

Select the Tools tab.
Click on the Import External Data icon.

Before importing, it is recommended to backup both the source and destination databases.

After selecting the system to import from, you have the option of retaining the existing IDs for imported users, forums, threads, etc. This is only possible when importing into a new installation with no existing data.

Once the selections have been made click on the Configure Importer... button.

You will also have to confirm the paths to the attachments and avatars, if they are currently stored in the file system rather than the database.

The data to be entered in the configuration screen is related to the database you are importing from.

When all of the relevant information has been entered, click on the Validate Configuration button.
Importing the Data

Once the configuration has been verified, you will be presented with the main import screen. Here you can choose which components to import. Due to data dependency, some steps can only be run after other pre-requisite steps have been completed.

Only the content in the steps listed is able to be imported, all other content will be ignored.

Click on each button to import the data required. Not all steps have to be run so for example, you could choose not to import avatars or private messages.

As you proceed, the status of each completed step will be listed. Some steps may take a significant amount of time to complete, depending on the amount of data that is being processed.

XenForo does not permit the same name or email address to be used for more than one user, so you will be required to confirm what to do in the case of any affected users. The options available are to merge them or rename and change the email address.

Any previously imported data will remain intact if you start a new import.

If the import is aborted at any point, it can be resumed by navigating back to the import screen. This status will remain indefinitely until the current import is completed or a new import started.

Some important points to note related to importing are:

Repeating the import process will result in duplicated content, including attachments and avatars. Users however will not be duplicated, due to the constraint related to user names.
If multiple imports are performed and URLs are redirected, only the last import will have working redirects unless the import log data is archived.
To completely remove any data related to an import, in order to do it again for example, the original XenForo database must be restored and all avatars and attachments must be deleted from the data and internal_data directories.

Finalizing the Import

A required action once the import is complete is to rebuild the search index. Failure to do so will make it impossible for searches to be performed on the imported data. To rebuild it, click on the Tools tab and then the Rebuild Caches icon. Depending on the number of posts and quantity of data, this could take a long time.

The imported data should be checked for consistency and validity, especially permissions for any imported users, user groups and nodes.

Post content should also be checked to ensure all data has been faithfully reproduced. If required, the Post Content Find / Replace tool can be utilized to correct or remove any broken or non-valid BB Code.
Redirecting URLs

Currently, forums, threads, posts and attachments are redirected.

An important aspect of importing is being able to automatically redirect any traffic from the old pages to the new ones. This will minimize the impact of switching software and ensure links stored by search engines continue to work. Over time the search engines will learn where the content has moved to by following the old links.

*Redirection scripts can be found in the Add-on Releases forum via the links below.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/vbulletin-4-x-url-redirection.7584/

* Needed only if your links do not automatically re-direct

I did another import. this time i did not import rep points but i only import thanks as likes.
Now its not showing that earlier *deleted user" error but likes count is not accurate.
its way more than actual likes. How can this be fixed ?

I did another import. this time i did not import rep points but i only import thanks as likes.
Now its not showing that earlier *deleted user" error but likes count is not accurate.
its way more than actual likes. How can this be fixed ?
You clearly do have an issue with your vBulletin 4 database, but of the off-chance that there is an issue with your host ... Have you tried doing all this on localhost (on your home computer)... ?

If that doesn't work... There is no solution (to which I can give you). Going through a full database and manually correcting every checksum that is incorrect is timely (and costly).

You clearly do have an issue with your vBulletin 4 database, but of the off-chance that there is an issue with your host ... Have you tried doing all this on localhost (on your home computer)... ?

If that doesn't work... There is no solution (to which I can give you). Going through a full database and manually correcting every checksum that is incorrect is timely (and costly).
Well, this is being really painful now. User likes jumped from few hundreds to few thousands which looks pretty ugly.
How about if I just substract thousand likes from everybody. that might bring them closer to actual number ?

Edit: This time I repair vb table couple of times and ran recounter. Still this error exist.

Well, this is being really painful now. User likes jumped from few hundreds to few thousands which looks pretty ugly.
How about if I just substract thousand likes from everybody. that might bring them closer to actual number ?

Edit: This time I repair vb table couple of times and ran recounter. Still this error exist.

If you're going to go down that road.... You could technically re-set everyone back to zero. There maybe some benefits from doing so. Provided there are no other errors you come over.

The only problem I've found is that the permissions for forums with restricted access are incorrect but I'm sure that's easily corrected. I was particularly pleased to see that the albums of which we have a huge number were imported as posts into a new forum. That alone will save me days of work.
So thanks to everyone who had input into this importer and thanks to TheVisitors for putting it all together (y)

I did a test install/transfer and non of my albums get pulled across from vb4. Any tips?

I did a test install/transfer and non of my albums get pulled across from vb4. Any tips?
My 1st tip is to check this out (this seem to correct most issues)
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/vbulletin-4-to-xenforo-importer.27758/page-2#post-334868

My 2nd tip in your case is make sure the image folder and all the attachments within it (including thumbnail folder & attachments within) are marked 777. I've seen this on 2 setups where for some odd reason everything for attachments (both source & target) needed to be 777 for the import to work.

Does this work for vB 4.2?
Completely un-tested and do not have 4.2 currently to play with.
Update:

mmoore5553 has been kind enough to allow me to borrow a copy of test install for vBulletin 4.2 Suite.

I should have an answer to this soon and should be able to debug any issues (if any found).
Confirmed working on 4.2 (y)

(Really thought it would be an issue, but it wasn't)

Suggest anyone who tries though to back up 1st and try on a test site to be sure.

I tested only using the default setup. How 4.2 handles some modifications has indeed changed and as such, I have no way to predict (or support) 3rd party conflicts (this policy was true before, but more so now).

Top Bottom