vBulletin 4 to XenForo Importer [Deleted]

Thanks. This would be my second XF community. :)

I'm still getting the error, but I'll tinker some more.
The only way you would get that exact error is either some detail you're entering isn't correct or something is wrong with your setup (host issue).

FYI: I'm assuming both sites are indeed on the same server and on the same domain, correct?

The only way you would get that exact error is either some detail you're entering isn't correct or something is wrong with your setup (host issue).

FYI: I'm assuming both sites are indeed on the same server and on the same domain, correct?
Ok, I'm going to bear my liberal artist shame and acknowledge that they are not on the same server, heh. So, what do I need to do? Install vB on my test server, restore the full backup to the fresh vB install, then try the move?

Ok, I'm going to bear my liberal artist shame and acknowledge that they are not on the same server, heh. So, what do I need to do? Install vB on my test server, restore the full backup to the fresh vB install, then try the move?
I would move a copy of files and databases on the server you plan on using. Convert from there.

Remember both sites (vBulletin & XenForo) need to be closed when you do this anyways. Backup before you do things (always wise).

Heh. I did think it might have been the same issue I encountered a while ago, where ensuring the new server's ip address was allowed to connect to the old one did the trick, but seeing you used localhost earlier, I figured both DBs were on the same server.

If you use wmh, try allowing the new server's address in the security settings there. That did the trick for me.

I get asked this sometimes....

Question: Is it safe to de-active or un-installed this once I have successfully completed the import?

Answer: When the importer isn't being used, it uses no resources except for it being hooked into the system. You can safely de-active the importer once you have completed importing (converting). You can also safely un-install if you wish, yes.

However you'll need to re-activate or re-install in order to import another site again.

Import successful! Except for album images. I relocated the att_store folder to the new server and all avatars were imported fine, but the images all look like this:

album_import.webp

Where does the importer look for the images?

Import successful! Except for album images. I relocated the att_store folder to the new server and all avatars were imported fine, but the images all look like this:

View attachment 29428

Where does the importer look for the images?

Wherever you told it to look for them. More than often, when imputing the path; you need to impute the full server path to things.

It seems that you may have had something carry over or the import was not a completely successful.

Assuming you have not opened your site to your users yet (which you shouldn't do until you know everything is working)

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/vbulletin-4-to-xenforo-importer.27758/page-2#post-334868

^ That would be my 1st step (ie... try again following that).

edit: Forget what I said in my 1st line. This does convert reps into likes.... I'm working on something else and getting mixed up. LOL (Sorry). Th

Its not that user does not exist. for that post only two user have thanked/liked it originally. But after import it saying two user plus deleted user plus one other..
So I do not think that its user importing issue. This appears to be something else..

Its not that user does not exist. for that post only two user have thanked/liked it originally. But after import it saying two user plus deleted user plus one other..
So I do not think that its user importing issue. This appears to be something else..
It is vBulletin database issue.

You'll need to start over.

vBulletin uses myisam for mysql and it does so poorly in my opinion. myisam is prone to corruption.

• Makes sure safe mode is OFF (for php)
  • Backup your vBulletin database
  • Do a analyse, repair, optimize on your vBulletin database (repeat repair until no errors are found & all is successful)

hmm.. That sucks..
I really wish I had a better solution.

At the start of its development, myisam for MySQL was actually the universal standard and innodb was alternative. By default myisam at the time (no longer) was much faster, but not as stable and had limits. Over time innodb which was more stable, became as fast as myisam and is now the universal default. myisamis actually has been discontinued by MySQL (supported still in MySQL 5.x, but no longer developed. Possible scheduled to be removed in 6.x).

From the start I'm sure you knew all the many issues of vBulletin 4 (one need only search around if not aware). One of which that some of complained about for years is how vBulletin 4 would manipulate myisam, which by design was already prone to corruption.

It my "hope" that it is only a database corruption. Again... Back to how vBulletin 4 manipulates myisam and with how it handles add-ons .... It can prove problematic.

IF your willing to backup your vBulletin database and made a test install using it.... You could un-install all the add-ons (don't worry about the files) and then do an optimize, analyze, and repair on that database (thought either phpMyAdmin or command prompt... Do not use the internal vBulletin repair tool)

Thanks for the info man. No wonder I am getting thousands of Database error message every day.
btw what xf uses for mysql ?

Well, I do have test forum setup for vb to xf conversion. I m not gonna re-create that but when I perform conversion for my production site. I will repaid my vb database and re-build forum cache for vb as well. So I get better result.

Btw, I am thinking that might have happened for importing user thanked and reputation ? Because, I did import both and on vb bot means pretty much same thing (User thanked were increasing reputation points) And after import I cannot see where all reputation points went?

But this is clear, it is not because of user got deleted or did not get imported. Because no one originally liked those post.

Thanks for your help. Imma get Jake Bunce to look into it in more details.

Thanks for the info man. No wonder I am getting thousands of Database error message every day.
btw what xf uses for mysql ?

By default XenForo uses mostly innodb. Of memory, there are 4 tables which still use myisam (session tabs if I recall).... For myself, I switched those to memory. There are some modifcations here that still use myisam as well.

Thanks for your help. Imma get Jake Bunce to look into it in more details.

God speed :)

thanks very much for this. Just did a test import on my VB4 forum. Question. When I go to shut down my vBulletin forum, can I do the import again without fear of duplicates? Will it just merge anything new with what I've imported?

Top Bottom