• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

vBulletin 4 Importer

LOL, Someone paid you to use a free convertor.

Classic.

Many people do. It's a tool and they rather have someone do it for them, or help them through the steps, or simply don't have the time and outsource it to others.

I think I have to say something nice about Paul. If this converter is the one being used by the XenFan guys it did something unexpected that was a real positive.

When I moved from SMF to vB4 there where no permissions set.

It looks like the permissions came across just like I had them in vB4. I am quite pleased. I am going to keep digging around in the permissions but it so far they all look good.

It looks like the permissions came across just like I had them in vB4. I am quite pleased. I am going to keep digging around in the permissions but it so far they all look good.
Yep, the permissions come over, but there is a negative to this actually, which I found with a few trial imports. Because you have permissions and usergroups that just won't be needed on XF, as they function vastly different, you will find forums endup highlighted which states they have custom permissions, but you can have all permissions set to default, and it will still be highlighted, as it brings over permissions that don't exist in XF and screw with things.

After finding this out in a demo import, before I did my actual import I reset all permissions on usergroups and nodes to default, imported and then redid all permissions again, using the new XF one's, and that fixed the issue. Now when I see a highlighted forum stating it has custom permissions, it actually does have custom permissions assigned to it.

I'll have to admit that i had to bite my tongue last night. I was laughing at the irony of someone paying $29 to import using a free script. In fact i was thinking it rather cheeky for someone to brag that someone elses free work was earning them $29.

I hope you asked permission first before you used it Floris - either that or made PaulM a nice donation as you are profiting from his work....

Not saying that you shouldnt earn something from it, it's just that imo it should be beneficial for all parties.

Paul

I was not sure they used his or not at first but it is the only one I am aware of. It did take quite awhile but sure freed up a lot of time.

It was a bargain. I was able to do other things while they where doing that.

It was well bast half a million posts.

Yep, the permissions come over, but there is a negative to this actually, which I found with a few trial imports. Because you have permissions and usergroups that just won't be needed on XF, as they function vastly different, you will find forums endup highlighted which states they have custom permissions, but you can have all permissions set to default, and it will still be highlighted, as it brings over permissions that don't exist in XF and screw with things.

After finding this out in a demo import, before I did my actual import I reset all permissions on usergroups and nodes to default, imported and then redid all permissions again, using the new XF one's, and that fixed the issue. Now when I see a highlighted forum stating it has custom permissions, it actually does have custom permissions assigned to it.

I have not found a problem yet. I have some sections only certain people can see like a ladies only section and so on and they turned out good. I am sure I will find some problems but looking really good so far. If this is Pauls importer it came out much better than I expected.

It is an awesome importer... Paul has done an amazing job on getting it to do what it does... the detail has just gotten better and better.

I'll have to admit that i had to bite my tongue last night. I was laughing at the irony of someone paying $29 to import using a free script. In fact i was thinking it rather cheeky for someone to brag that someone elses free work was earning them $29.

I hope you asked permission first before you used it Floris - either that or made PaulM a nice donation as you are profiting from his work....

Not saying that you shouldnt earn something from it, it's just that imo it should be beneficial for all parties.

Paul
If people are willing to pay him to use it, good luck to him.

I always accept donations, but its not a requirement, the importer is provided free.

I just found it rather funny that people paid to use something thats free. Guess it must just be me. :)

If people are willing to pay him to use it, good luck to him.

I always accept donations, but its not a requirement, the importer is provided free.

I just found it rather funny that people paid to use something thats free. Guess it must just be me. :)

How do people send you donations? I actually do not believe in free, I think people should benefit from the work they do that has value. People that know me can attest that I prefer to pay for benefit I receive. Sorry it was 400 level Econ but a ton of UK professors that made me this way.

Some people don't have the basic knowledge for this or are afraid messing up because of the lack of experience. If there are people out there who knows how to move sites, import sql, settings sites up etc. it's a faster ans relatively safer choise let them handle all these procedures.

I don't blame those who does what they do, and those who pay for such service. That said, it's also not rocket science ! If you pay attention good enough and follow the steps and make backups you wouldn't have the need to spend money just for that.

I noticed DI now includes a quick link for donations on his... which is maybe something you could do Paul on the initial post near the file download... I think devs should be paid a little by everyone who uses their work... and it keeps devs motivated to continue IMHO.

Paul

Why on earth would I owe him any donations? He offered it here for free and what we do with it is none of his business. If I make a free add-on and you use it on your commercial site - then my addon basically helps you make money - do I get 12% of your yearly profits? Doubtful.

I noticed DI now includes a quick link for donations on his... which is maybe something you could do Paul on the initial post near the file download... I think devs should be paid a little by everyone who uses their work... and it keeps devs motivated to continue IMHO.

Good idea, I've add one to the first post.

Top Bottom