• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

vBulletin 4 Importer

I needed to delete and import everything back. If you created a new style, export the style first so you can import that back too.

But you only need to do this if you do a full new XF install. If you're just re-importing the vB information again the Styles and everything remains the same.

But you only need to do this if you do a full new XF install. If you're just re-importing the vB information again the Styles and everything remains the same.
I did the reimport and ran into problems. I could have sworn I had double forum names. Maybe I didn't rebuild the cache?

I did the reimport and ran into problems. I could have sworn I had double forum names. Maybe I didn't rebuild the cache?

I see what you are saying! Yeah, it doubles up forums names, user groups and the poster stats. But the style information does not change. So you can blow away the stuff that increments but if you made style/css changes you don't have to worry about anything.

I have a few questions before I use this for my forum.

Importer version 1.42 onwards is compatible with XF 1.0 beta 4 onwards [only].
I see that '1.42' is the old version, but I see that the latest version is '1.43 '. Can this version of the importer work with vBulletin 4.0.x forum versions?

Also, I've uploaded all Xenforo files to the forum folder and I have the vB 4 database ready to be used. Do I have to install Xenforo first, before I use this tool?

Thanks!
smile.png

OK, just to be sure I do all the right things.
Can I get a run down on which tables to drop?
Also...
What happens to users? Do I dump that as well? (keeping the admin account)
What happens to "Pages"? I added quite a few to test out that functionality.
Anywho, thanks in advance for any input.

I have a few questions before I use this for my forum.

I see that '1.42' is the old version, but I see that the latest version is '1.43 '. Can this version of the importer work with vBulletin 4.0.x forum versions?

Also, I've uploaded all Xenforo files to the forum folder and I have the vB 4 database ready to be used. Do I have to install Xenforo first, before I use this tool?

Thanks! :)
1. It works with any version of vb4.
2. Yes, you must have XF installed.

OK, just to be sure I do all the right things.
Can I get a run down on which tables to drop?
Also...
What happens to users? Do I dump that as well? (keeping the admin account)
What happens to "Pages"? I added quite a few to test out that functionality.
Anywho, thanks in advance for any input.
Im not really following you here, but ....
Why would you be dropping tables (in vb or xf).
Pages ? What do you mean ? vb doesnt have "pages".
Users are imported.

Im not really following you here, but ....
Why would you be dropping tables (in vb or xf).
Pages ? What do you mean ? vb doesnt have "pages".
Users are imported.

What I was asking was... :)
If I re-import my VB4 to XF and I have already done an import in the past (about a month ago)...
What tables need to be truncated in XF to clear them out for a fresh import from VB?

I am going off of the assumption that importing more than once will duplicate your data unless you clear out the prior import.

Which also brings me to ask, would this include the user's table as well?
If so, I imagine you'd have to hand clear that table so as not to remove your admin account.

Since XF uses the forum structure as a container for "pages"... I was curious if I truncated the forum tables in XF to clear them out, would I also lose my "pages"?

Just curious about the whole process...
When xF was first avail, to quickly get some content to mess with I pulled my live VB forum into XF.
Now that I have managed to get most of the "kinks" worked out, I am getting closer to shuttering my VB site and moving all to XF.
Since the VB site has remained active during this time period, I have new members and new posts I need to pull into XF since my last import.

An easier way perhaps would be to do a fresh install of XenForo and then a new import?

Of course, if you've customised your installation in anyway with regards to the style, templates, add-ons, etc. then all of that would be lost.

An easier way perhaps would be to do a fresh install of XenForo and then a new import?

Of course, if you've customised your installation in anyway with regards to the style, templates, add-ons, etc. then all of that would be lost.

Yeah I thought of that too... I am a db guy by trade so I don't mind working with the database directly, just curious how much work might be involved or does the script actually have this already in it?
Say if a user already exisits in XF and you are importing from VB - does it just skip that user?
If so, there might be less work in re-importing that I may envision.

User import has the option to merge imported users with existing users based on e-mail address.

However, you really need to just start with a fresh database, otherwise it could get quite messy.

@PaulM,

I've noticed something strange. It's related to the friends list in vB 4 and the followers list in XenForo. Once imported, the friends list becomes the follower list in XenForo, as we all may know. But, in XenForo, the people that you follow shows up on the "members online" side-bar, with their avatar, etc. The imported friends don't show up. Only the people that you follow when using XenForo...

Not a big issue, but I just thought that I should have reported this issue to you. Bye!

You would need to log that as an XF bug - the Importer just calls a standard XF importer routine for followers.

Top Bottom